Author Topic: Jesus Rifles  (Read 15346 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Jesus Rifles
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
Stick with Old Testament--that's where the smiting is at!

There's plenty of smiting in the new, if you know where to look.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:26:15 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »
I am still waiting to see the part of the Constitution that addresses the idea that you cannot insult someone of another religion.  Not someone's interpetation of....

If it pi$$es so many people off, I think I will engrave a few bible passages on my guns....chris3

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2010, 04:39:24 PM »
Both sides on this issue and in this thread are devolving into rhetoric.  All the "Freedom of, not from" cliches are tired, give them a break please.  Both sides of the issue need to save their indignation for something that matters.

Troops should not have religious symbolism on their government issued equipment.  Trijicon is providing kits to remove said symbolism from the government issued equipment.  This all seems reasonable does it not.  Does anyone really think it is appropriate to have religious symbols for one particular religion on a military issued item?

Trijicon can put whatever they want on their gear they sell to the general public.  Also reasonable right?  Folks can choose to buy the item or not buy it based on a number of factors including the symbolism.  The military folks do not have a choice.

All in all, not a big deal and both sides need to calm down.  The religious folks need to stop acting all oppressed and the other side need to save their outrage for something that matters.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2010, 05:33:30 PM »
Depending on the context, yes it does.

But in this case ... meh.  If I were given one of those Trijicon's and really didn't like it, it seems to me that I could fix it in a couple of minutes with a dremel and some alumablack.

Just not if it's your military issue Trijicon.  Of course, now that they have the removal kits out there...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »
Just wait until everyone learns about the hidden "M for Mathew" meaning in all the governments small arms designations.  Jesus is coming to get you.  >:D

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Trijicon can put whatever they want on their gear they sell to the general public.

Unless specified, they can put whatever they want on the gear they sell to .gov too until someone pisses and moans enough.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this is going to make the people that hate us already hate us more.  It's kinda like making murder more illegal by making it a hate crime.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2010, 09:54:02 PM »
Oh... something to do with the crusades.  Some Muslims are still pissed off about stuff that happened hundreds or even a couple of thousand of years ago. That's why we should write off the middle east entirely, save our money, and continue to to build nukes and a good missile defense system.  Eventually, some two thousand year old beef between Muslims and Jews (or Muslims and someone) will bring us all down.  But I'll conceed... our nukes should not have biblical references on them. We should be non- judgmental with weapons of mass salvation.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2010, 10:48:14 PM »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this is going to make the people that hate us already hate us more.  It's kinda like making murder more illegal by making it a hate crime.
Indeed.  

We're shooting at them fer gossakes.  Wouldn't that cause them more anxiety and discomfort than some tiny, cryptic lettering on our riflescopes?  

I have a friend who says that many of the problems in our society are the result of our unprecedented wealth and high standard of living.  We're so well off that we can afford to devote people to tasks as dognuts dumb as this Bible verse handwringing nonsense.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:54:29 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »
We're shooting at them fer gossakes.  Wouldn't that cause them more anxiety and discomfort than some tiny, cryptic lettering on our riflescopes? 

It  probably could be used as a propaganda piece by claiming this really is another crusade, and therefore get more people sympathetic to their cause. Of course they would have to know it was even there to begin with and since we didn't even know I doubt that they would of ever known.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2010, 09:02:25 PM »
It  probably could be used as a propaganda piece by claiming this really is another crusade, and therefore get more people sympathetic to their cause. Of course they would have to know it was even there to begin with and since we didn't even know I doubt that they would of ever known.

True...maybe if we put the verses on the JDAMS instead.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2010, 09:34:46 PM »
Oh... something to do with the crusades.  Some Muslims are still pissed off about stuff that happened hundreds or even a couple of thousand of years ago. That's why we should write off the middle east entirely, save our money, and continue to to build nukes and a good missile defense system.  Eventually, some two thousand year old beef between Muslims and Jews (or Muslims and someone) will bring us all down.  But I'll conceed... our nukes should not have biblical references on them. We should be non- judgmental with weapons of mass salvation.

Islam is 1,388 years old.  The European Crusades, a series of counter-attacks, didn't start until after the Faithful finished overrunning the majority Christian Byzantine Empire in Asia Minor early in the 11th Century.

The beef some Muslims have with the Jews/Israelis in particular (as opposed to anyone not a Muslim in general) is really a 20th Century thing.  Don't get caught up in the "eternal, inevitable conflict idea".

The story of militant Islam is really the same old story of an empire's growth, senescence and decay, but that story causes a great deal of anger and disbelief because the empire was founded on perceived religious truth as opposed to a mere political basis. It's a lot easier, in the end, to accept that your political system failed or became outmoded than to believe that reality has proven your fundamental religious beliefs "wrong".
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »
I suppose a solid copper hollowpoint with four varied length skives that opens into a cross shape is straight out then.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Stevie-Ray

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »
I want one now. I wonder if they could put Mark 8:38 on mine for me. It's what they should be putting on all the military's from now on. ;/
On Sarah Palin.....The screeching moonbats, whose daily lives are a swamp of discontent, fault finding, anger, angst and every other dark emotion embraced by the left, can't stand to see someone who is normal and enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.....grampster

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2010, 10:06:16 PM »
Islam is 1,388 years old.  The European Crusades, a series of counter-attacks, didn't start until after the Faithful finished overrunning the majority Christian Byzantine Empire in Asia Minor early in the 11th Century.
As I understand it, the same applies to North Africa, where Christianity had an early and strong hold.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife