Author Topic: Hangun for my wife  (Read 15362 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Hangun for my wife
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 02:00:24 AM »
I don't think it's "slide fear". I think it's a female pelvis/center-of-gravity/weight distribution issue. Perhaps also differential upper body strength to extend a handgun at arms-length and keep it there. It seems to me they lean back because the forward crouch does not come naturally to them.

I try to teach anyone new "Shoulders forward of hips, hips forward of ankles." Seems to get the point across about a slight fwd posture of the entire body. Feet about shoulder width, strong foot slightly back if you like and most people will be pretty stable. The female shooter back lean is pretty widespread and I blame in on being uncomfortable holding that mass out there coupled with people that probably should never be training shooters letting it happen.

I've got lots, but my other favorite teaching chestnut is to simply say "Pull the trigger without moving the sights." I've listened to someone (qualified? instructor) lecture for one hour about sight picture and sight alignment. Never once said what to do with it. May seem simple to us, we dryfire, have the dime drill, dummy rounds mixed in etc. New shooter, they need to hear the why fundamental clearly. Strangely that simple statement fixes lots of people. Suddenly they have a group somewhere and can start adjusting shooter or sights as needed.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2010, 07:12:23 AM »
Couple of reasons I like the smaller calibers. One is I've seen both 9mm and .45 shoot through 24" of wet phone books. The .32 mag stopped at about 22" 3 out of 4 tries. The other is you get more shots. .32 mag is 6 the , .22 mag I linked to has 7. I'll steer away from the recoil aspects.  =)

I like the .32 because the right round, which was the 85 gr from georgia arms, I didn't see it last time I looked, will leave a snubbie at about 1100 fps. I calculated that out to more ft- lbs than a .38 special and only like 3 lbs lower than 38+P. Plus you get the extra shot. If you shoot it in low light it makes a firelball about the size of a soccer ball.  :lol:

Georgia arms still makes a 100 gr but that's the one that went through. They didn't open up. The 85 gr mushroomed quite nicely both times. To just about .38 in diameter.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2010, 08:17:45 AM »
Not really a "woman shooter" issue, but at least on paper, the .327 Federal Mag. seems like an ideal choice for a nightstand gun for the type of owner who wants to learn basic proficiency, then just leave it in the drawer until needed.

Especially if someone leveraged the smaller diameter of the round, and came out with an 8-shot revolver and integrated light/laser that ran from grip controls, so the flash from the cylinder gap cutting/burning wasn't an issue.
I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2010, 08:42:26 AM »
http://www.chuckhawks.com/327_federal.htm

The .32 H&R Mag., based on a lengthened .32 Long case, has always been a fine, although largely unappreciated, cartridge
  ;)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2010, 10:31:35 AM »

Now, go make me a sammich. =D

*raises eyebrow*

perhaps not the best venue for that joke...  =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
No, it's not.  I'll have to either ask AZRH44 to edit that, or go do it myself.   =|

Very few novice female shooters have liked automatics.

Dunno.  Anecdotal again, but Wife #2 has a favorite in the G-98 stable - it's the 6" Navy 1918 DWM Luger in 9mm.  It points perfectly for her, she can tear the X out of the target all day long, but doesn't like getting that last round into the magazines without a ThumbSaver. The only thing that really bugs her about the gun is that she can see the toggle operating and wonders if the gun's broken.  She can also see the slide operating on my Kahr K9, so I have to remind her to restrict her attention to the front sight and target.  She actually thinks my stainless L-Frame 696 is too "pimp daddy" for her tastes.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »
there was a time when both bridgy and i were novice female shooters.

i didn't like revolvers till my dad came across a great deal and i happened to need a sidearm. which is how i ended up with a revolver instead of a semi for my first handgun. (and some you may ask why dad didn't give me one of his... just remember some of my other post about how his 1911 ended up being my 1911  =D he barely let me snag it when i was in my 20's, you really think he was going to let a 16 year old snag one of his treasures)

before that point i couldn't have cared less about revolvers. in fact dad had to talk me into liking it, when he handed it to me. dad had all semi's and that what i wanted to shoot, to be like dad. even early on, the few times i had chances to shoot them, i refused to shoot revolvers. i thought they were dorky.

i now do enjoy my big shiny .357 magnum, but i will say its not my favorite thing in the world to shoot. Its heavy, which is fine for an hour or so of plinking, but beyond that it starts getting heavier by the second (and i have strong arms) and less enjoyable. That heavy double action is something i can handle and my m-19 actually has a pretty smooth trigger, but its still on the difficult side for someone with small hands. that heavy DA, even one that smooth, is tough when your trigger finger has to stretch a bit to reach and begin the pull with the tip of your finger struggling for a grip.
the only reason i enjoy that gun is becuase i worked out how to shoot it, and i wouldn't have bothered if i hadn't been a shooter in the first place.

so there is one more anacdote in regards to females and what they 'prefer' as begining or advanced shooters.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

280plus

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2010, 06:18:04 PM »
She actually thinks my stainless L-Frame 696 is too "pimp daddy" for her tastes
Souns like she needs a Deagle   =D

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
Maybe 300 -500 for starters

Ruger autos.  Used Glocks or XDs.  J&G Sales has some S&W revolvers at very tempting prices.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2010, 07:02:34 PM »
I was scolded pretty badly on another board when the same question came up.

Evidently my answer of revolver did not sit well with another person.

Yes, the answer is let her choose, but do give her some options and try some pistols and revolvers. My girlfriend sometimes has problems racking a slide, but my sisters don't. My sisters like revolvers, but my girlfriend likes semi-autos.

I have taught people to shoot both; generally speaking, many newer shooters liked starting with a revolver as they felt the operation was easier. No mags to load, to slide to rack, no messing with a safety or decocker. After learning on a revolver, they next tried semi-autos. Some like them better, some liked revolvers. It's just a matter of personal preference, but do try both to be fair.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »
My wife ran through the rental case at the Bullet Trap in Plano, Texas, as we looked for somehting that clicked with her.

Well, it turns out that she likes 1911s, especially those with slim McCormick grips and a flat MSH. 

You just don;t know until she tries a few different pistols...and she might surprise you.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »
Souns like she needs a Deagle

She's actually fired my Desert Eagle.  She likens it to Tamara's description of an H2 Hummer being a Tahoe with a codpiece. 

Since she hasn't taken whitetail with it, or shot an IHMSA match with it, I'll let her description ride for now.   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2010, 08:30:51 PM »
I was scolded pretty badly on another board when the same question came up.

Evidently my answer of revolver did not sit well with another person.

Yes, the answer is let her choose, but do give her some options and try some pistols and revolvers. My girlfriend sometimes has problems racking a slide, but my sisters don't. My sisters like revolvers, but my girlfriend likes semi-autos.

I have taught people to shoot both; generally speaking, many newer shooters liked starting with a revolver as they felt the operation was easier. No mags to load, to slide to rack, no messing with a safety or decocker. After learning on a revolver, they next tried semi-autos. Some like them better, some liked revolvers. It's just a matter of personal preference, but do try both to be fair.

the question causes issues because its not him asking whats a good gun to start a beginer, its whats the gun for a women.

your right, many beginners like starting with a revolver for simplicity, just as we all want the first timers to start with light recoil calibers and (i at least) want to start the raw beginner with a rifle.

the thing is a begining shooter is a begining shooter is a begining shooter. Yes, there are some considerations as to physical cabibilities, but you have those same considerations when starting a big guy who may have issues finding how to fit a big hand on to a smaller pistol, or a child with a smaller stature and weaker muscles. Its not just women.
yet, when the question comes up (and it inveribly does) you end up with a feel that its the big, smart man picking out what he thinks the little women can handle, no matter how delicatly its asked even when its not with those intentions.
what happens is you have a loaded question regarding the sexes, and it can get heated.

the obvious answer is do the same thing for her as you would do with anyone else your teaching about firearms. and for the record, that advice about 'letting her choose her gun' goes for all beginers as well.

as for a certain pistol by isralie industries ...  :-X 

280plus

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2010, 07:14:11 AM »
She's actually fired my Desert Eagle.  She likens it to Tamara's description of an H2 Hummer being a Tahoe with a codpiece. 

Since she hasn't taken whitetail with it, or shot an IHMSA match with it, I'll let her description ride for now.   ;)
I'm almost psychic sometimes eh? Somehow I knew...  :lol:

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
I didn't read through all 3 pages so I don't know if anyone else mentioned the
Ruger LCP 
I'm considering a pink one for my lady
http://www.hoffgun.com/specials.htm#LCP
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2010, 07:41:32 PM »
Huh, the pink one is cheaper.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2010, 07:42:44 PM »
thats becuase its gross.  ;/

i hate the pepto bismal guns.

and for the record, i don't mind pink. in fact i am wearing pink at this very moment, and if i had the exrra cash i would have a pink gun.

the thing is it would be a nice pink and not pepto pink which seems to be the only shade that gun companies provide.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »
thats becuase its gross.  ;/

i hate the pepto bismal guns.

and for the record, i don't mind pink. in fact i am wearing pink at this very moment, and if i had the exrra cash i would have a pink gun.

the thing is it would be a nice pink and not pepto pink which seems to be the only shade that gun companies provide.

It's not pink, it's raspberry!  =D  Maybe it's a little darker in person?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »
making it darker or lighter isn't gonna change the base color.

its ugly pink. i have yet to see a gun from factory in an acceptable shade of pink.

sanman

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2010, 10:16:32 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations, I'm just looking for something for her for self defence while I travel. We're in the boonies and have a pitt bull so might as well just get her a shotgun and have someone she actually listens to teach her how to use it. Long as she don't shoot the dog.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2010, 10:24:46 PM »
One thing I am known for locally is wearing the high-viz neon green or orange when I am on my bicycles or motorcycles.  If they had one in neon green, I would have to have it.  It would be the perfect cycling gun.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2010, 12:46:56 AM »
It's not pink, it's raspberry!  =D 

My wife was looking over my shoulder as I viewed that ad.

Her:  "Ew!  Who would buy that?"

Me: "How about in basic black?"

Her: "What's it shoot?"

Me: "Bullets"

Her: <*whap!*>

We need a "smacked upside the head" smiley.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2010, 06:48:02 PM »
My wife was looking over my shoulder as I viewed that ad.

Her:  "Ew!  Who would buy that?"

Me: "How about in basic black?"

Her: "What's it shoot?"

Me: "Bullets"

Her: <*whap!*>

We need a "smacked upside the head" smiley.

i like her.

your wife can come shoot with me any day.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2010, 10:13:13 PM »
i like her.

your wife can come shoot with me any day.

Hmmm . . . I don't know. She might be a bad influence on you.

:P
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »
I didn't read through all 3 pages

Obviously not, you stereotyping sexist male.   :lol:  Anyway, I just did read the whole thing (more or less) and I can't believe no one has asked why his wife is gettin' a hangun'.  She done kilt somebody? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife