Author Topic: Dressing for success- Job interview  (Read 15163 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Dressing for success- Job interview
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 07:11:28 PM »
Do not wear a sport coat that matches your slacks, it looks like a mismatched suit. Sport coats should always be worn with complimentary or contrasting colors, never matching.

As to buying a suit you have options. You can check out the local GoodWill or thrift store. Just be careful and inspect whatever you buy closely for wear, stains, or damage. You look averaged size and they generally have a good selection. Charcoal and navy are good classic colors. Depending on the shade you can also get away with a grayish olive. I'd stay away from black, it looks quite a bit more formal and can even run into the to formal. It's also a very assertive color and can come off in an interview as over confidant. Browns are nice but more casual so avoid them for business.

You can buy new suits starting around 175ish (on sale, which most big stores do frequently) with sport coats starting at 100 and up. In all honesty how well the suit fits is 10x more important then how much it costs. An inexpensive suit from JC Penny or Khols that fits you well and that you have taken to a tailor for final fitting will look just as good or better as a suit costing hundreds more and that doesn't fit you quite right and didn't have good final alterations.

The main thing with more expensive suits is that they hold up better and longer, but unless you wear a suit frequently this isn't to much of a problem. After wearing hang up the pants and jacket in a well ventilated area for a day to air out and then put up in the closet, dry cleaning after each wearing is a good way to prematurely wear out a suit as dry cleaning is very hard on cloths. Wait to clean it until it is visibly soiled or it starts to smell less then fresh (doesn't mean wait till it stinks, just when it starts to be off). And when you do take it off to the cleaners always do the jacket and pants together even if one doesn't seem to need it yet, this way they wear and fade at the same rate and you ensure they always match. Between cleanings brush with a suit/clothing brush to remove any loose dirt and lint.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »
I looked at the Job Interview suits on the Men's Warehouse site. They start at $530!  :O

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 07:19:39 PM »
Avoid mens warehouse like the plauge, their suits are not inexpensive, they are cheap.

Jos A Bank is OK but I don't like the fit and think the shoulders are way over padded. Buy only on sale if you find something there you like.

I'd hit up JC Penny or Khols for a wear every now and then suit on the cheap.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
Tailoring is the best tip anyone ever gave me on buying clothes.  I even get my jeans tailored whenever I buy a good (~$100) pair.  It turns them from jeans to nice pants that just happen to be made out of denim.  Gets rid of that weird baggy area above your ankles especially.

As for the suit, it's not generally necessary, but it sure does make a good impression.  If you show up to an interview with me on time and dressed professionally, you've already beat out a lot of the competition.  (As a side note, 5-10 minutes early is great, but I've had people show up half an hour early before.  All that shows me is that you're a giant suck up or you had absolutely no idea what time we agreed on for your interview.)

I'd say trim the goatee way, way down.  Like a 2 if you have your own trimmer.  I'm really not a fan of mustache hair actually hitting your upper lip.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 07:22:18 PM »
I always find the arbitrary fashion rules so amusing. "Navy is ok, brown is casual, black is formal." Who comes up with this crap anyway? Gotta wonder how many talented people don't get jobs because they never had anyone tell them the arbitrary color scheme rules.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »
Color rules are just what the color conveys I suppose and what has developed over time. Though the rules have opened up pretty wide in the last decade or two.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »
Dark to medium gray slacks, Navy blue blazer, white shirt and red tie are a classic combination.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Men's Wearhouse. Tell them to set you up with an interview suit. They'll know what to do.

I hate buying clothes, especially ones that are seldom worn. I'm that stereotypical male with no fashion sense and no love for shopping.

Men's Wearhouse is based on the premise that men hate to go shopping and don't know how to dress well.  They will square you away unless you are a physical freak of nature like myself.  No bull, what CG says is true and I have seen them transform buddies into upright citizens before my eyes.  Even got Mr. "I Only Wear White Shirts and Black Ties" to buy a blue shirt and complementary non-black tie.  And he liked it.

If you can't swing a suit, get a navy/charcoal/black sport coat and some khaki wool slacks.  Again, MW will square you away and leave you looking good.

I recall flying into DC and finding out my dress shirt was FUBARed in my garment bag. Don't ask.  I called info and made a beeline to the nearest MW.  I bought a shirt & tie and they pressed the shirt for me as I waited, as Iwas on my way to a meeting.  Good people work at MW.

Avoid mens warehouse like the plauge, their suits are not inexpensive, they are cheap.

Have they changed the last few years?  Last time I went to one, the quality of their wares was on par with the suit I bought at Nordstrom's.

Now, I know what I like and what is quality...and I know when to strike on deals. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
Might check at Burlington Coat Factory, if there is one nearby. I got a couple really good suits years back from them. Ran me about $110 each, if I recall correctly. And definitely trim the chin squirrel.  ;)
Hi.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 08:04:35 PM »
Otherwise if cash is a concern at the moment, you might try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Presidential-Signature-Collection-Italian-Business/dp/B001LD9TI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1263944684&sr=8-1

My wife bought me a suit for Christmas from the same seller. I still need to get the pants to a tailor to have them let out an inch or two before I can actually wear it out of the house, but I was surprised at the quality of the fabric for the price.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 08:07:29 PM »
Have they changed the last few years?  Last time I went to one, the quality of their wares was on par with the suit I bought at Nordstrom's.
I perhaps spoke a little to harshly and should have clarified that my knowledge of MW is second hand. But I haven't heard any good tails of recent business done with MW. Both in quality of their products or their employees.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 08:39:26 PM »
A nice pair of slacks and an appropriate sports coat does a couple of things.  It allows you to dress 1/2 to 1 notch over your job position and it lets you match (in office business wear) the dress of the supervisor one to two levels up who may just happen by.  In any case the appearance is confirmed by attention to details.  Jewelry should be subdued and of a consistent metal.  A plain watch is great.  Tie should be properly pleated.  Shoes polished.  Rounded heels replaced.  No cologne or aftershave.  Hair neatly trimmed but not recently.  Facial hair is a jump ball.  I think it is the luck of the draw.  "Experts" say the selection is made in the first 10 seconds of meeting your interviewer.  Firm grip on the handshake.  Look him (them) in the eye and say their name.  At the conclusion of the interview ask for the next steps and a schedule.  Get a business card with a fax or email addy on it and as soon as you can write a thank you note.  The job environment is highly competitive and thank you notes are a sure fire way of separating you from the herd.  Good luck.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 09:17:06 PM »
My husband had a very negative experience with Men's Wearhouse, one that resulted in a hundred bucks' worth of unwearable clothing.  The tailoring was of such poor quality that the clothes were simply not presentable, nor could a competent tailor redo it.

My conclusions of the place, as someone who is (obviously) not well-versed in menswear but is something a textile junky, is that they are overpriced, pushy, and have a very smooth gimmick for parting a man and the contents of his wallet.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »
mgdavis

My .02 follows.

Background. I would be the one setting on the other side of the desk from you during the interview.
My field is automotive service at a dealership.

Skip the suit. Clean jeans or slacks in good or like new shape, a good dress shirt and a tie. Sport coat optional. Something to write on and something to write with.

Let me say it again. SOMETHING TO FREAKING WRITE WITH!!!

I hate when someone comes to me to fill out an app or do an interview and then ask to borrow a damn pen. If that person can't come in KNOWING THAT THEY WILL FILL OUT A JOB APP or TAKE NOTES DURING AND INTERVIEW and not come prepared, how can I expect them to come to work prepared. Are they going to come to work at 7:59 to start work at 8:00 and then set down and spend 15-20 minutes freaking eating breakfast. All the while I'm losing $180.00 - $220.00 an hour of productivity. Nope he aint getting hired unless they have outstanding creds.

Sorry, pet peeve.

No suit. When I look at a tech during an interview wearing suit and tie, I'm thinking he's trying to impress me or he has something to hide, and trying to compensate. If they are wearing casual attire with a tie the previous thoughts have never crossed my mind. I have and would be thinking more along the lines of this guy cares about neatness and may not leave a damn greasy hand print on our customers headliner or door handle.

As far as your facial hair, just straighten up the trim and don't smell like a BO factory and you will do fine.

Anywho that's my two cents worth.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 11:20:58 PM »
I perhaps spoke a little to harshly and should have clarified that my knowledge of MW is second hand. But I haven't heard any good tails of recent business done with MW. Both in quality of their products or their employees.

My last suit came from MW, it wasnt a store brand but I got a Ralph Lauren tailored gray pin striped with 2 new shirts, couple ties, belt and shoes out the door for under $450. I love the suit, fits very well DSM store has good tailors!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

erictank

• friends
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 11:32:37 PM »

Jos A Bank is OK but I don't like the fit and think the shoulders are way over padded. Buy only on sale if you find something there you like.

I'd hit up JC Penny or Khols for a wear every now and then suit on the cheap.

Bought an excellent suit from Men's Wearhouse (an affliate, actually - a local K&G branch, which advertises as Men's Wearhouse) back in '08 prior to my honeymoon, after finding out at the last minute that my two suits did not fit me anymore.  I *NEVER* wear suits anymore.  K&G found me a fantastic medium-grey wool/silk-blend suit which was nice and light, comfortable, and looked great, for $240, and same-day rush-tailoring made it just about perfect for another $35 or so, IIRC, so I could take it with me up to NY the next day.  Of course, then, following our move to our new house this past summer, my wife and I had a box of clothing to go to the dry-cleaners in the living room (including that suit and some of her new-ish work stuff) which we couldn't find a week later, and came to the conclusion that it ended up at the Salvation Army with the other 15 boxes worth of assorted clothes and things. =|  Oh well.  I really need to replace that suit - I currently, once again, do not have one (was going to say, "...one which fits me.", but realized that I gave away the two which I'd had taking up closet space that didn't fit anymore).  If I can find another one - or two - like the one I got in '08, I'll be well-pleased.  And I'll keep better track of it. ;)

Anyways, for my money, K&G/Men's Wearhouse does just fine.  YMMV, certainly.

ETA:
My last suit came from MW, it wasnt a store brand but I got a Ralph Lauren tailored gray pin striped with 2 new shirts, couple ties, belt and shoes out the door for under $450. I love the suit, fits very well DSM store has good tailors!

Oh yeah, I need some decent shoes, too.  I've got dress shoes - Corfams and shined-leather both - but nothing between that and the beater-sneakers and work-boots currently resides in my closet.  Got a couple of belts recently, but a nice belt or two and a few new ties to go with the suit(s) would probably not be a bad idea, come to think of it.  Once I get this year's family vacation paid for (going to LA/Hollywood this summer, with the wife and kidlets), I'd probably better make some nice dress clothes a priority.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:38:06 PM by erictank »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 11:35:08 PM »
I should buy a suit one of these days, it's nice to dress up once in while. But then I'd need to get shiny shoes that aren't Corframs etc. Not really a priority on the "things to spend money on" list atm.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 12:31:52 AM »
A suit probably couldn't hurt. Since it's not an office job, you might just want to go with dress shirt, slacks, tie, and a sportcoat. You could even ditch the tie and still wear the sportcoat... the coat adds a lot more than the tie does, IMO.

The most important thing re: suits is to get a dress shirt with a big enough neck. A lot of suit-related discomfort comes from people wearing old dress shirts that are too tight in the neck now that they've put on a few more pounds. You can wear t-shirts for about as long as they stay in one piece. Dress shirts need to be changed along with neck size, or they will make you absolutely miserable. Get a half-size larger if you want.
Personally, I'd advise against the Stafford dress shirts. Not as comfortable as others I've tried... you can get the George branded shirts from Wal-Mart, cut out the tag in the collar (worst place to put a tag) and you'll have a very comfortable shirt for a good price. Or you can buy one from Jos A Bank. They've got good shirts and they put the tag out of the way... they also charge accordingly. They have a sale on at the moment on some of their suits, not sure what the shirts are priced at. Don't pay $100 for an off-the-rack dress shirt when you can get the Hemrajanis in Hong Kong to tailor one to your exact size for about the same price.
http://www.mytailor.com/

Goodwill and the Salvation Army tend to have a decent collection of suits/sportcoats and dress shoes in excellent condition and very low prices. You'd probably be better off finding a sportcoat than a suit that fits - the previous owner might've had the same shoulder width, but a larger waist, or he might've been six inches shorter... Very good chances of finding excellent dress shoes, unless you're an odd shoe size. Shoes are usually $10 or less... probably the best deal in the store, unless you happen upon a Ralph Lauren purple label suit for $50 or so. If you do, buy it and ebay it ASAP.

No experience with Men's Wearhouse, just Jos. A Bank. For best impression, walk in wearing a tux and a gun, looking for a bowtie to complete your ensemble.  :lol:
JAB has sales all the time. Don't buy a suit from them at 'regular' prices. Wait for a 60-70% off sale and get one then. Not much more expensive than a Dillards or JC Penny suit, but they tend to be a cut above.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 07:13:06 AM »
I know absolutely nothing about American hiring politics.

For a blue collar job shined shoes, khakis and an ironed shirt should be fine imo.

I'd get rid of your beard because it looks awful, but if you like to keep it just trim it down to a six (mm)
and shave your moustache into shape, right know it looks like a 70's porn star disfigurement.
And why, on god's earth do you shave your head ? It looks awful and exposes you to insury
whenever you hit something with your noggin'.  To look civil your beard shouldn't be longer
than your hair.
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »
Might check at Burlington Coat Factory, if there is one nearby. I got a couple really good suits years back from them. Ran me about $110 each, if I recall correctly. And definitely trim the chin squirrel.  ;)

I second this. I got a jones new york suit there for a couple hundred a few years ago when I was in college.

I went home with it, and my parents freaked bc they thought I had just dropped close to a grand.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2010, 10:31:32 AM »
A good, conservative grey suit (if and when affordable) is something that can compliment any man, I feel. I've been meaning to get one.
I myself have a bit of a goatee and some rough fuzz on the sides, but not as gnarly as yours. It looks to me like you should not have trouble growing it out if you again if you trim it a little now.
It seems a little too big - proportionally - to your head as it is IMO.

I too am a slaphead, about 80% by choice (the other 20% I lost was down to my genes  =D).
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2010, 11:00:46 AM »
I know absolutely nothing about American hiring politics.

For a blue collar job shined shoes, khakis and an ironed shirt should be fine imo.

I'd get rid of your beard because it looks awful, but if you like to keep it just trim it down to a six (mm)
and shave your moustache into shape, right know it looks like a 70's porn star disfigurement.
And why, on god's earth do you shave your head ? It looks awful and exposes you to insury
whenever you hit something with your noggin'.  To look civil your beard shouldn't be longer
than your hair.

Come on now, don't hold back. Tell me how you really feel.  :lol:

The shorter I cut my hair, the less frequently I have to cut it. I don't shave when I can avoid it because I dislike shaving and tend to get razor rash when I do shave. I simply don't care too much how I look most of the time. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2010, 11:51:43 AM »
Might check at Burlington Coat Factory, if there is one nearby. I got a couple really good suits years back from them. Ran me about $110 each, if I recall correctly. And definitely trim the chin squirrel. 

I second this. I got a jones new york suit there for a couple hundred a few years ago when I was in college.

I went home with it, and my parents freaked bc they thought I had just dropped close to a grand.

I third this. I've bought two suits at Burlington Coat Factory for around $200 each. Both have been great suits, much better than the more expensive suits I've bought elsewhere.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2010, 12:44:44 PM »
Men's Wearhouse is based on the premise that men hate to go shopping and don't know how to dress well.  They will square you away unless you are a physical freak of nature like myself.  No bull, what CG says is true and I have seen them transform buddies into upright citizens before my eyes.  Even got Mr. "I Only Wear White Shirts and Black Ties" to buy a blue shirt and complementary non-black tie.  And he liked it.

If you can't swing a suit, get a navy/charcoal/black sport coat and some khaki wool slacks.  Again, MW will square you away and leave you looking good.

I recall flying into DC and finding out my dress shirt was FUBARed in my garment bag. Don't ask.  I called info and made a beeline to the nearest MW.  I bought a shirt & tie and they pressed the shirt for me as I waited, as Iwas on my way to a meeting.  Good people work at MW.

Have they changed the last few years?  Last time I went to one, the quality of their wares was on par with the suit I bought at Nordstrom's.

Now, I know what I like and what is quality...and I know when to strike on deals. 

Now that we've turned this into a Men's Wearhouse thread...

Your experience matches what I would expect from them. Granted, when you walk in there don't expect budget prices. The only reason I went in there when I was in college was because I got a 20% discount since my brother worked there. However service was always excellent and not just because I was family. Also they deal in classic style--not fashion. Though they do carry more trendy stuff their strong point is in creating outfits that will still be perfectly wearable in ten years.

Pardon the shill.  :laugh:
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »
I have a couple of suits and a couple of sport coats from Men's Wearhouse, and I've always had a really good experience with them. One of my "power suits" is their house brand Pronto Umo Cotoure, which I found to be very good quality and I often get compliments on it. Their free "while you wait" pressing has helped me out on a few occasions as well.

Like any big chain, you're bound to get a local store in the chain with poorer quality staff, but I've had really good luck in the three or four stores that I've been in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."