Author Topic: Harley Evolution Engine Life  (Read 35063 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Harley Evolution Engine Life
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 01:34:28 PM »
Cheesy

You really had me going there, Daniel.

Unfortunately, though, I've had motorcycle riders like that try to take up my lane in the corners. I'm remembering Deal's Gap ("The Dragon") in particular. 300+ second-gear curves, and hotdog riders trying to set a record. It's really unnerving to find what little lane you have in a 180 degree switchback being taken over by some kid in a bright green racing suit bent on killing himself.

...has left the building.

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 06:38:34 PM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
Cheesy

You really had me going there, Daniel.

Unfortunately, though, I've had motorcycle riders like that try to take up my lane in the corners. I'm remembering Deal's Gap ("The Dragon") in particular. 300+ second-gear curves, and hotdog riders trying to set a record. It's really unnerving to find what little lane you have in a 180 degree switchback being taken over by some kid in a bright green racing suit bent on killing himself.
I'm glad you liked it! It had me rolling at the end. I guess I don't get the whole "race" the Dragon thing either. If the opportunity is there to carve up some corners, go for it. But I don't know why some people time themselves...go to the track for goodness' sake!

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 11:36:12 PM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
I would never buy a touring bike as my only one...maybe as a third but never a first. I've narrowed it down to two options this spring:

-Kawa 636 w/ liability/theft/uninsured motorist insurance
-H-D 883C w/ full coverage

...who am I kidding, you know it is 90% that I'll end up with the 636 anyway...
For the record, the term "touring bike" should always be taken with a grain of salt, as it is a term that can mean a lot of different things. For example Kawasaki's ZZR600 "touring bike" is simply a rebadged version of the previous generation ZX-6R. 4 years ago it was a super-sport and it still weighs less than 400 lbs. It is also a more comfortable and "streetable" bike than the 636. The Yamaha YZF-600R and Honda F4i are in the same class of extremely light-weight and agile "touring bikes" that offer significantly more performance than most people could ever hope to wring out of a motorcycle.

Strings

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 12:44:12 AM »
>For the record, the term "touring bike" should always be taken with a grain of salt, as it is a term that can mean a lot of different things...<

When I say "touring bike", I'm refering to something along the lines of a Harley Electraglide or Roadglide, or a Honda Goldwing. You know... the cars on two wheels, that you glance at the dash and then start looking for the missle controls, 'cause James Bond never had so many switches and suchlike... Wink

Smith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 03:34:06 AM »
There is a guy that just joined ST.N that rides his Goldwing like it's a supersport.  He linked a video of him on Deal's Gap (everyone outside of Appalachia calls that the Dragon) and he was dragging pegs on every curve and passing sportbikes.  I must say he's pretty impressive with that boat, but that doesn't mean that I'm interested in boats!

Strings

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 08:20:22 AM »
Smith... assuming I keep the 'Potomus, we're seriously discussing painting it battleship grey, and putting a hull number on it...

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »
I was thinking about a ZZR but unfortunately most insurance companies want nearly the same insurance premium as the 636 and I'd rather have a fuel injected bike.

Smith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 06:02:22 PM »
Dan, for some reason Triumphs have lower insurance rates than other brands...my Sprint has a 1050 and the insurance is quite reasonable.

Smith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2006, 04:29:38 AM »
Color me confused.  You are now bouncing between a Harley and a Kawa 636?  To me that says that you really haven't looked nor sat on everything yet.  I'd urge you to spend more time.

If you are seriously holding the door open for sportbikes (like the 636) I'd really recommend you look at the ZZR600 and the YZF600r.  The YZF almost had me.  It's VERY comfy and cheap on the used market.

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2006, 04:12:12 PM »
Quote from: Smith
Color me confused.  You are now bouncing between a Harley and a Kawa 636?  To me that says that you really haven't looked nor sat on everything yet.  I'd urge you to spend more time.

If you are seriously holding the door open for sportbikes (like the 636) I'd really recommend you look at the ZZR600 and the YZF600r.  The YZF almost had me.  It's VERY comfy and cheap on the used market.
Sorry I was out of town for a while. I've sat on both the Harley and 636. Obviously they are completely different animals. I guess I don't think it is much different than deciding to spend my money on a Single Action Army or another Glock. What advantages would you say the ZZR and YZF600r have over a 636? People say cheaper insurance but when I checked the ZZR's, it wasn't that much different.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2006, 04:35:45 PM »
My insurance company will not insure the "crotch rocket" configuration bike at all, at any price.  Worthwhile checking that out before buying one o them cafe racers so you don't get any surprises after signing the dotted line.

We have specialty companies that will write racing configuration bikes, but the premiums are usually double.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2006, 04:49:19 PM »
There is a guy that just joined ST.N that rides his Goldwing like it's a supersport.  He linked a video of him on Deal's Gap (everyone outside of Appalachia calls that the Dragon) and he was dragging pegs on every curve and passing sportbikes.  I must say he's pretty impressive with that boat, but that doesn't mean that I'm interested in boats!
I went to a HOG rally about 5 or 6 years ago at the factory where my wife works. They had a course set up with cones in a parking lot where it was mainly low speed maneuvering that was timed. There were probably 100 or more entries with just about every type of Harley and Buell bike imaginable and it was won by a Milwaukee motorcycle cop on his personal (not issued) Electraglide. To be fair, there weren't any foreign superbikes and the typical envelop pushers that go with them in the contest, But there were quite a few riders Buell Lightnings and the nimble little Blasts entered.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Smith

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2006, 05:51:11 PM »
Dan, I kinda stick to the "sport-touring" side of things, which is to say "relaxed ergo sport bikes with luggage, hard or soft."  For that reason, I tend to look at bikes from a long-distance perspective.  I think the YZF is one of the most comfortable sportbikes out there, short of going to a "sport-touring" bike like a Concours or a Sprint or a ST3 and the ZZR isn't so bad by some folks' opinions.  Again, sit on EVERYTHING and take some test rides.  They're free a lot of the times, and calling around to a few local cities' dealers may get you test rides at the same brand that says "no"  in your town.

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2006, 06:12:50 PM »
Smith,

I'll definitely be getting to test a lot of bikes before I buy since a dealer is one of my group's clients. They have Kawa, Victory, and Suzuki. The guys at the shop there actually taught me how to ride so I'm sure I could ride anything on their floorplan. To cloud things even further, I'll be looking at the BMW CS as well...

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2006, 11:07:52 PM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
 Sorry I was out of town for a while. I've sat on both the Harley and 636. Obviously they are completely different animals. I guess I don't think it is much different than deciding to spend my money on a Single Action Army or another Glock. What advantages would you say the ZZR and YZF600r have over a 636? People say cheaper insurance but when I checked the ZZR's, it wasn't that much different.
They offer a more street friendly power band (midrange) and a much more comfortable riding position. I cant speak for the ZZR since I havent checked, but the YZF has a nearly cavernous underseat storage space (relatively). They are also a bit more mild mannered and *should* be cheaper to insure, although that doesnt seem to be the case for you (might do some insurance shopping). The bikes are also cheaper, and have been around longer so there is a healthy market in used parts/bikes.

Smith

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2006, 02:51:17 AM »
Don't worry about the 650 CS clouding the purchase.  I had my Sprint in for service last week and got a BMW CS as a loaner.  It's about the same as my old EX500, only more vibey.  I would NOT want to do any distance on that bike.

Oh, don't forget the SV650s too.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2006, 04:48:14 AM »
Dan,

Your insurance is going to go up based on two factors: How much of the the bike has fairing and the engine size.  

That's one of the reasons I chose the 500.  It wasn't a 600, and it's only half-faired.  That plastic is expensive to paint and replace, and those darned kids are always crashing those 600cc sport bikes.  The jump between a 500 and a 600 was significant, but I don't remember excatly how much.

Maybe Harleys have a chrome factor?  Tongue

Smith

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2006, 06:51:32 AM »
Hey Dan, don't just leave us hanging, tell us what you get!

I'm off to jump on my Sprint again...wow this thing is awesome!

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2006, 07:09:12 AM »
Smith,

My memory may be fading in my old age, but didn't you say you were going to garage that ST for a while?

Didn't I also tell you that I didn't believe you when you said that?

Interesting...

(Glad you like it) Wink

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2006, 09:32:34 AM »
Quote from: Smith
Hey Dan, don't just leave us hanging, tell us what you get!

I'm off to jump on my Sprint again...wow this thing is awesome!
I'll probably be getting the next bike in March or April. I'll keep you posted and hopefully we can get together at some point if I'm down South to ride and have a few beers.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2006, 10:25:04 AM »
The time to buy a bike is now, you can get good deals.  Everyone and their dog wants one in the spring.

Smith

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2006, 03:14:52 PM »
No joke.  If I were you I'd be riding a test model every warm day I got and poring over the Cycle Trader and MC forum websites.

Smith

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2006, 10:07:37 AM »
Dan, please shoot me a PM on THR or an email at mahp2004@DELETETHISyahoo.com

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2006, 12:25:01 PM »
Smith,

E-mail sent sir!

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2006, 03:53:10 PM »
Note: I don't have anything personal against harley riders, I just thought this was funny.

Harley announces new engine for 2006 model year

Harley Davidson announced that in it will introduce the newest model of engine to their lineup, the DKH [tinfoil] Super Single. Where the engine differs is in design.  It will be a massive, eighty eight cubic inch single cylinder air cooled motor supported on twin ball bearing mounts for maximum rigidity.  The shape of the valve cover is instantly both easily recognizable and unforgettable.  Of course, it will be shaft driven for the final drive.

Its definitely a work of art. Miriam Baxter said, looking at the test model.  I get excited on so many levels just looking at it.

When asked about the new changes in design philosophy, a spokesman at the Motor Company said we wanted to give the customers something they could really relate to. We think that the new [tinfoil] really represents our traditional, core buyers and what they look for in a Harley Davidson product.

When asked why the company has gone to a single cylinder model, we were told that vibration was far less than the older V-twin model even though the [tinfoil] still has all the power of the classic V-twin which it will eventually replace in the years to come.  The sound of the new engine is somewhat different as well, being only a single cylinder, but the exhaust pipe is chrome plated and rather huge with one tester even referring to it as veiny in nature.  Our test model was evidently a press beater, and the chrome pipe showed signs of blueing through constant flogging.

And what does the new [tinfoil] engine sound like?

Where the classic sound of the old engine was similar to potato-potato, Said a HD design team spokesman, this new engine sounds more like unf-unf and it only gets faster in tempo the more you get down on it.

Theres just something about this new engine. One test rider commented.  I cant really explain, but when I hop on this thing, I know its going to be a great ride.

The new [tinfoil] will take its place among the ranks of other notable Harley engines such as the Knucklehead, the Panhead, and the Shovelhead.  The spokesman added We believe the [tinfoil] is really going to fill some holes in the market.

Most of the current models will receive a new [tinfoil] engine as will a yet unnamed new model.  Our inside sources say that the mystery model is probably going to be a [tinfoil] paired with an entry level Sportster, which really wont be all that surprising.

At first, look for a slow trickle of Dickheads to start showing up at the dealerships as the company closes down its hundredth anniversary celebration and ramps up for full production of the new models.  Corporate sources also tell us that soon after that, all of the dealerships should be chock full of Dickheads.

It will be standing room only when all of the Dickheads hit the sales floor. A spokesperson commented.

The Harley [tinfoil].  Its what were going to base our new corporate sales policy around.  Were totally committed to getting all the Dickheads we can into our dealerships. The company spokesman said. Thats where were really going to see a jump in profit, from sales made off of all of the Dickheads."

The Harley Davidson [tinfoil].  If you havent seen one yet, just stop by your local Harley Davidson dealership where youll find plenty on display.