Author Topic: Great deal on a QCTP for lathes  (Read 814 times)

PTK

• friends
Great deal on a QCTP for lathes
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:40:19 AM »
Link

$180 for a normally $450 wedge-type tool post and holder set. Thought I'd pass the deal along, as this is a great brand at a fantastic price.  :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Great deal on a QCTP for lathes
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
Thanks for passing on that sale price.

That said, I've never had good luck with the Phase II QCTP that came with my lathe.  It would (often!) loosen up while doing cuts, making an awful mess of the part and chip the carbide inserts.  Might just be an operator problem, though.  My other Phase II products seem to be passable good.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:51:33 AM »
I've used their BXA and AXA products for the past six or so years. Zero issues thus far - and a LOT of use of the AXA was for 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week work. I hate to tell you this, but... I'm pretty sure it was operator error, if the entire toolpost was turning.  ;)

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:55:36 AM »
The toolpost reminded firmly attached to the compound rest.  It's the wedge feature that kept untightening.

That said, I acquired this piece used with the lathe.  It's entirely possible that the previous owner bungled it up in some way.  I never had the ambition to tear it apart - just replaced it with the stock toolholder.  Setup takes longer, but at least it's rigid.  =|

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 12:01:36 PM »
Whoa, the wedge came undone? Something is majorly wrong with that - the wedge-type locks tighter than the piston-type, by FAR.

Have you ever contacted Phase II? A couple years ago they sent me a new AXA boring bar holder when a casting flaw became evident. Free. In fact, the original holder still works, it just looks ugly on the top surface, is all.  =D