Author Topic: Enough of that for today. Whew!  (Read 3766 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Enough of that for today. Whew!
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »
I can send you a thumbdrive to backup that data upon
and you can mail it back to me for safekeeping

:angel:

It is good to have mulitple backups in mulitiple locations so I'll send you a drive too.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »
Free offsite backups?  Cool!

Be sure to put those files in a TrueCrypt volume before sending the thumb drives off.  :angel:

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 05:29:09 PM »
Speaking of thumbdrives, any suggestions?  They all about the same or are their certain brands/features I need to watch out for?  In case it makes any difference it will be going into a truck (tucked into a corner of the glove compartment, most likely).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 06:23:38 PM »
Free offsite backups?  Cool!

Be sure to put those files in a TrueCrypt volume before sending the thumb drives off.  :angel:

I'll encrypt it when it arrives at my storage bunker

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
Speaking of thumbdrives, any suggestions?  They all about the same or are their certain brands/features I need to watch out for?  In case it makes any difference it will be going into a truck (tucked into a corner of the glove compartment, most likely).

Brad

I've had good luck with san disk

Uranus is a gas giant.

Stevie-Ray

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 06:33:22 PM »
If the sub box gets here by Friday I might go ahead and do the install this weekend.  That would be VERY nice!

Brad

Must be nice to have what appears to be decent weather. Or a heated garage? The speakers I got for Christmas for my truck are likely going to have to wait til around May. It's 10 degrees here. This sucks.
On Sarah Palin.....The screeching moonbats, whose daily lives are a swamp of discontent, fault finding, anger, angst and every other dark emotion embraced by the left, can't stand to see someone who is normal and enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.....grampster

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 08:17:13 AM »
Have you tried out the USB thumbdrive feature yet?
I decided I want that on the next head unit I purchase.  I download all my talk radio shows, it would be
real nice to just be able to plug in a drive and listen to yesterdays show while driving.

A word of warning: the ones I've used start over at the beginning of MP3 files (from USB, SD, or CD) whenever the radio is turned off(or loses power) and back on.  That really sucks when you want to listen to a half-hour-long podcast (in one file) on a 15-minutes-each-way commute.  You spend several minutes of the return trip trying to fast-forward to where you left off.

The solution for this is a normal MP3 player plugged into the aux input for those files: most real MP3 players keep their place within the file when turned off.  I keep all the talk stuff on my Muvo for that reason.  (Don't remember which my cell phone does - I have a BT FM modulator for the car, but hardly ever use it except for long trips.

robear

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 08:38:11 AM »
A word of warning: the ones I've used start over at the beginning of MP3 files (from USB, SD, or CD) whenever the radio is turned off(or loses power) and back on.  That really sucks when you want to listen to a half-hour-long podcast (in one file) on a 15-minutes-each-way commute.  You spend several minutes of the return trip trying to fast-forward to where you left off.

The solution for this is a normal MP3 player plugged into the aux input for those files: most real MP3 players keep their place within the file when turned off.  I keep all the talk stuff on my Muvo for that reason.  (Don't remember which my cell phone does - I have a BT FM modulator for the car, but hardly ever use it except for long trips.

My Alpine doesn't do this.  It picks up playing exactly where it left off when it powers up, both in CD and USB mode.   
As to thumb drives: almost any thumb drive SHOULD work, but I bought an 8gig Imation Atom thumb drive specifically for use in the car and all it would do is display "ERROR", so I went back to my 4gig Sony MicroVault.   The Atom works fine in my PCs and PS3, however.

Also, make sure you're aware of any file or folder restrictions your head unit has.  My Alpine has a file limit of 100-songs per folder, so I had to split my songs up into 3 different folders for it to be able to access them all.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »
Each album is set up as a unique folder so I shouldn't have trouble with the 100 file limit.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »
Speaking of thumbdrives, any suggestions?  They all about the same or are their certain brands/features I need to watch out for?  In case it makes any difference it will be going into a truck (tucked into a corner of the glove compartment, most likely).

Brad

I've had good luck with the RiData EZdrive series.  They have a write protect switch, too.  Very handy.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 07:38:20 PM »
I'm done! I'm done! I'm done! (thank God!)

3176 song files totaling 26.9 gig of data.  All set up and ready to dump onto a thumb drive. 

Can't wait to get the system in the truck but it may be a couple more weeks.  I called on Friday and the sub box I want is on backorder (everywhere in the universe, it appears).  I called the mfg directly and they are making a production run right now.  Unfortunately the big vendors get their orders filled first (*cough* Best Buy *cough*).  Little guys like the folks I ordered from are pretty far down the food chain.  I s'pose it won't hurt anything to wait a bit.  Sigh.

Brad
-HankB