Author Topic: Power usage of various devices  (Read 4672 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Power usage of various devices
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »
The one in the shop is going to be the prototype, and then I will build out two more: one for the west side of my house, and one for the east side.  3 separate inverters, 3 separate charge controllers, 3 separate solar arrays, 3 separate battery banks.  Each probably between 3000 and 5000 watts max AC output.

Dayum! :O $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

My Xantrex ProSine retailed for $1K, and is only 1800 normal/2900 surge watts output (albeit a favorite in the marine AC power world).  You want three at 3000-5000 watts, plus solar arrays and batteries to feed each? Each of the telco batteries runs around $100, if you can't find somebody surplusing them out. Solar arrays with serious amperage delivery are not for the faint of pocketbook, either. The cheapest component is actually the charge controllers. IOW, will you adopt me?   :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 08:20:45 PM »
Certain AC to DC converters, wall warts, can do interesting things when the AC waveform turns funky.

If you're starting with DC, eliminate the double conversion.  Open it up, and odds are the first compnents in the circuit are a transformer and rectifier: replace those with a 78xx voltage regulator chosen for the voltage the device expects off the transformer and you've got a DC-fed charger.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 08:34:16 PM »
Just had to grab something from the shop.

!0" Table Saw 3 HP
Line voltage: 117 Volts
Start: 17.9 Amps
Free Run: 7.2
Load: 15

Belt Sander: 2/3 HP 4" belt/6" disc
Start: 11.9
Free: 1.6
Load: 3.5

10" Miter Saw
Start: 16.2
Free: 5.2
Load: 6.5-13 when it hit the brake at the end of the cut

I can't get to the jointer, router, planer or bandsaw right now. I have to much crap in the way.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 08:46:58 PM »
If you're starting with DC, eliminate the double conversion.  Open it up, and odds are the first compnents in the circuit are a transformer and rectifier: replace those with a 78xx voltage regulator chosen for the voltage the device expects off the transformer and you've got a DC-fed charger.

Actually, no.  Odds are that the P/S in the charger is switched mode, not linear.  If there's a transformer in there at all it's a high frequency device doing something completely different from what you describe.

Prolly best to leave the charger unmolested.

;)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »
Wouldn't a battery charger be a fairly low priority on the "reducing consumption" scale compared to all the heavy equipment?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 10:26:44 PM »
Wouldn't a battery charger be a fairly low priority on the "reducing consumption" scale compared to all the heavy equipment?

I would think so. I just pluged in my 14.4 volt charger and it seems to only be pulling about .2 amps. It's only rated at 1 amp.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 10:28:22 PM »
Yeah, it depends on the type of charger you're using.

Trickle charger vs. big honkin' charger capable of jump-starting automobiles, etc.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 02:02:53 AM »
Actually, no.  Odds are that the P/S in the charger is switched mode, not linear.  If there's a transformer in there at all it's a high frequency device doing something completely different from what you describe.

There you go assuming he's got some expensive critter.  Just looked at the leftover wall wart from my old cordless and it's the standard transformer, bridge rectifier and a whole lotta glue, 12VDC @ 1000mA.  (isn't a major point of the metric system supposed to be eliminating idiocy like a thousand millianythings?)

(Of course, if it's got a wall wart with DC output, you can avoid the whole "crack it open" bit.)