Author Topic: Bashed up my truck camper shell  (Read 1319 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Bashed up my truck camper shell
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »
I went to Home Depot a couple days ago to get some PVC pipe as a frame for some signs for an Appleseed-related project.

10ft pipe lengths hanging out the back of my truck, I left the camper shell door in the up position for the drive.

I get home and pull into the garage...and only get about 3/4 the way in.  That's funny, it won't go any further.  Hmm.

I get out and look for something blocking the truck up front.  Nope.

Then I look out back. :'( :O :mad: :'(  Hooked the door's handles on the trim around the garage. 

Sorrow.  Angst.  Anger.  Despair.

The aluminum frame is stretched badly, almost ready to release the glass for a 6 foot fall to the driveway.  8 of the 10 or so rivets that hold the thing together are popped.  I back up slowly, then start disassembling it to save pieces/parts.

Yesterday, I went over to my friend's house and we had at it.  Straightened the frame, remounted the glass and re-riveted everything back together.  There's a slight hitch on closing where one side rubs against the frame just a bit... but it's 95% back to original condition.

Phew.  That shell isn't even a year old.  Curses and expletives laced the air when I messed it up, let me tell you!  I was expecting it to cost $500 to replace the back window, and all it cost me was $6 for a pack of rivets at the hardware store.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Bashed up my truck camper shell
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:21:51 PM »
Gloooom, depaiiiiir, and agony on meeee...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:58:47 PM »
Well, at least you weren't the guy in Billings that drove his cabover camper under an 8' clearance bridge  ;/

That's one way to unload it from the pickup really fast  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 04:15:45 PM »
I had a bike shop customer that destroyed 2 carbon fiber kestral road bikes by pulling into a garage with the bikes on a roof rack
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 04:22:14 PM »
I had a bike shop customer that destroyed 2 carbon fiber kestral road bikes by pulling into a garage with the bikes on a roof rack

I would collapse to the ground weeping if that had happened to me.  Thousands of dollars gone, accompanied by the sound of carbon fiber shattering.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
hypothetically a garage door makes a ginormous noise when you back in real fast with a truck 2 inches 2 high and you catch the edge.   or so i hear :-*
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 02:26:02 AM »
Gloooom, depaiiiiir, and agony on meeee...

Brad

Deep, dark depression.  Excessive miseree...
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 03:02:58 AM »
I get home and pull into the garage...and only get about 3/4 the way in.  That's funny, it won't go any further.  Hmm.

You need a better engine.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Bummer.....I don't have to worry about doing that to my cap because I have so much crap in my garage I haven't been able to park a car in it for 15 years.......chris3

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 10:43:50 AM »
You need a better engine.

:laugh:

It was only at idle.  I didn't goose the throttle.

But, you're right. ;)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »
Get a running start next time  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin