Author Topic: Doodling on your desk = Call the police?  (Read 6295 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Doodling on your desk = Call the police?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »
Our school systems have much similarities to yours Micro, but when I mentioned this:

And now if they throw one of the real troublemakers into detention, then the troublemaker's mother, a screeching harpy, comes to the school to holler about how her baby "Didn't do nuthin!"

I'm talking about a different situation than what you are talking about...it's the entitlement class's interactions with the schools.

I've seen what you talk about in person, too, so I do understand.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:10:09 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 04:09:21 PM »
Not here. You, your bag, locker, or car can be searched for any time for just about any reason. It's the "War Against Drugs!"

Home of the Brave, Land of the Free

Jody Miller, circa 1965
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »
Microbalrog, Avenger29 is referring to the situation similar to one we see on the news frequently. A gangsta is arrested after being seen gunning down another gangsta, an officer, etc. Cut to interview of said gangsta's mother: "My baby would never do nothin' like that! They settin' him up! He's a good boy!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 04:13:12 PM »
I also got into a number of fights against bullies from the age of 13-15. Nothing happened, not even after I had wrestled a classmate to the ground and then dragged him down three flights of stairs by his feet,

Back when I was in high school two kids got into a fight off school property and it wasn't even school hours and they both got detention.

While I don't remember any bag searches, after Columbine the school banned any backpacks for a long time. Irked me enough that I actually put my books in a trash bag and drug it around, no one said anything except for one teacher who I really disliked.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 04:28:34 PM »
You can hate and respect something.    =D
Hate and fear more likely.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 04:28:56 PM »
Microbalrog, Avenger29 is referring to the situation similar to one we see on the news frequently. A gangsta is arrested after being seen gunning down another gangsta, an officer, etc. Cut to interview of said gangsta's mother: "My baby would never do nothin' like that! They settin' him up! He's a good boy!"

Meanwhile the family of the gangsta' that got shot, is also on TV: "He's a good person/  He's was turning his life around because he had gone to church last week and had enrolled in classes to get his GED."  ;/ ;/ ;/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:43:11 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »

I wonder why folks do that.  The self-denial thing.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
I wonder why folks do that.  The self-denial thing.

Because they don't want to actually have to deal with it?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 04:58:11 PM »
Because they don't want to actually have to deal with it?

Since they've been completely uninvolved dropped the ball raising their spawn, they can't believe that their "little" thug has joined a gang and become a thug. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 05:50:55 PM »
And now if they throw one of the real troublemakers into detention, then the troublemaker's mother, a screeching harpy, comes to the school to holler about how her baby "Didn't do nuthin!"

Semi-tangent here, but after watching American Idol a few times, you see this as a theme over and over.  Child is a screeching harpy and Simon makes fun of them.  They go crying out of the audition.  Mom refuses to recognize that Bimbettas only marketable skill is making sure people supersize thier orders.  There is a reality disconnect between many parents image of thier children and who their children really are.  Its mind boggling.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
Alexa was assigned eight hours of community service, a book report and an essay on what she learned from the experience.

What I Learned.
By Alexa.

My school is administered by morons.
My teachers are idiots.
The Family Court Judge is a brainless dolt.
The officer that arrested me and placed me in handcuffs is a power mad psychopath.

The end.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »
When I was an MP we were expressly forbidden from ever putting juveniles in cuffs.  :police: :police:

Also had to call in departure and arrival times and two MP's had to be in the vehicle.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »
It DID reinforce to me that if I have to fight, I should put my opponent down hard and permanently.  "Authority" will never be my friend when responding to something outside of its control.

Oh so true.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

griz

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »
Several things I just don't understand:

1. Why did somebody call the police in the first place?  Sounds like something that should be handled by the school.

2. When the police recieve a call that a kid wrote on a desk, why did they even send somebody out?

3. Why did the officer decide to arrest the kid?  Certainly they have some say so as to who they haul in.  Even if it is a crime to write on a desk (and I don't know that it is)  wouldn't it be like a ticket for littering instead of a trip to the station?

It just seems there were so many opportunities for common sense to step in and put a halt to this whole mess.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 02:54:18 PM »

1. Why did somebody call the police in the first place?  Sounds like something that should be handled by the school.

2. When the police recieve a call that a kid wrote on a desk, why did they even send somebody out?

3. Why did the officer decide to arrest the kid?  Certainly they have some say so as to who they haul in.  Even if it is a crime to write on a desk (and I don't know that it is)  wouldn't it be like a ticket for littering instead of a trip to the station?

It just seems there were so many opportunities for common sense to step in and put a halt to this whole mess.

That's the problem, it's giant bag of common sense FAIL at each step.....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
i always wonder about the kids behavior up to this point.   was this someone known for graffiti, and was taunting the teacher with the use of a nonpermanent marker.  of course, calling the principal, or the police only reinforces the lack of authority on the part of the teacher.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »

I would ask who called the police the teacher or the principal.  If it was the teacher then the principal should have intervened and handled it internally to the school.

The crime could have been damaging public property or something along that line.

There is no common sense in our public education system anymore.

I also believe RoadKingLarry has come up with the perfect essay for the girl.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2010, 10:07:17 AM »
i always wonder about the kids behavior up to this point.   was this someone known for graffiti, and was taunting the teacher with the use of a nonpermanent marker.

""I love my friends Abby and Faith," the girl wrote, adding the phrases "Lex was here. 2/1/10" and a smiley face."

I highly, HIGHLY doubt any of that is true.

The crime could have been damaging public property or something along that line.

Damaging public property for using an erasable marker?

Levant

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »
Where was the adult supervision in this?

1.  Teacher sends kid to principle.  Could be a reasonable response but the teacher could have just said to stop. 
2.  Principle calls police?  She should be fired.
3.  Police show up and cuff school kid?  They should be fired.
4.  Supervisor of police and/or others at the precinct all them to bring a kid in and hold her?  Fire them all
5.  Prosecuting attorney gets case and doesn't yell at everyone involved except the kid?  Fire him, too.
6.  Judge hears the case and doesn't toss it out while reminding the whole bunch of them about that thing called the Constitution?  Fire him, too.

The most adult person in this entire story was the kid.  All those people and not a single one of them could think for themselves well enough to recognize something was wrong.

Just say no to drugs, my tail.... How about "Just Say No to Arresting Children For Childish Pranks"

NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
Where was the adult supervision in this?

1.  Teacher sends kid to principle.  Could be a reasonable response but the teacher could have just said to stop. 
2.  Principle calls police?  She should be fired.

This is from another thread, but it applies here:

"This principal is a bully and a coward, and needs to be held accountable."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 09:23:27 PM »
I just love the way the "establishment" is creating its own future rebels....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.