Author Topic: Sewing Machines  (Read 9131 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Sewing Machines
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »

Can anyone recommend a decent sewing machine for working with light leather, denim, cordura, etc?  Most of the newer off the shelf models I doubt could handle heavier fabrics.   I'm thinking of making some of my own accessories and kit for hiking or whatnot.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Sewing Machines
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
i had a 50 year old singer that did all that. it got disappeared in a divorce
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:55:49 PM »
i had a 50 year old singer that did all that. it got disappeared in a divorce

I've been informed (but have not thoroughly researched) that new Singer machines are not up to the old spec, and they're trading off their legacy reputation.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:58:47 PM »
you were informed correctly   sadly   look at flea markets etc  or sometime hit a sewing machine repair shop.  you can still find the old ones. 
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:25:04 AM »
I almost bought my wife a new Brother sewing machine for Christmas.  It had great reviews on Amazon.  I don't believe it was a good choice for heavy materials, but I think Brother has a lot of models.  Maybe one of them would be appropriate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:53:39 AM »
Can anyone recommend a decent sewing machine for working with light leather, denim, cordura, etc?  Most of the newer off the shelf models I doubt could handle heavier fabrics.   I'm thinking of making some of my own accessories and kit for hiking or whatnot.   

What a pansy.  As you know, real men just make a needle from a bone, and get to work.  Get to work, Sally.   :P

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=9356.0
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 01:40:23 AM »
Any of the newer ones that you'll find off the shelf are pretty much junk for your application.  Newer ones that will meet your needs are going to be spendy.

I would suggest looking at flea markets and garage sales for an older machine, one made from solid metal. 

There are times I miss Paddy McRiley, but then again....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »
What a pansy.  As you know, real men just make a needle from a bone, and get to work.  Get to work, Sally.   :P

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=9356.0

Yea, I saw that thread.  More folks arguing than discussing topic.

And I can hand sew fairly decently.  Mostly just uniform or human flesh repairs.

Any of the newer ones that you'll find off the shelf are pretty much junk for your application.  Newer ones that will meet your needs are going to be spendy.

I would suggest looking at flea markets and garage sales for an older machine, one made from solid metal. 

That's what I've been gathering.  Was kinda hoping someone had a hookup or knew of sewing machine mecca.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 08:26:48 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:28:56 AM »
Got any old shoe repair places around? They might have something they'd be willing to part with.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »
Last sewing machine like that I've seen was in an antique store.

It was a singer model, mounted on a big green table/worksurface.

The machine it's self was mostly beefy aluminum castings.  It had a 1/2 HP motor.  Was $200 iirc.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 08:33:45 AM »
My parents get a hold of old Singer featherweights and restore them.  Dad gives them a tuneup, cleans up and lubes the mechanics, makes any needed repairs. checks the timing, replaces the electrical components with new cords and foot switch even a new motor if needed.  new belt, etc.  I think they sell them for a few hundred bucks.  If you are interested I'll see if they have any available currently.

They used to do a full refinish with new color and everything, including a new set of gold leaf details.  A couple of those went for over $1000, but they got out of that.  Last I knew they had a couple of original black in stock.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 09:25:09 AM »
My parents get a hold of old Singer featherweights and restore them.  Dad gives them a tuneup, cleans up and lubes the mechanics, makes any needed repairs. checks the timing, replaces the electrical components with new cords and foot switch even a new motor if needed.  new belt, etc.  I think they sell them for a few hundred bucks.  If you are interested I'll see if they have any available currently.

They used to do a full refinish with new color and everything, including a new set of gold leaf details.  A couple of those went for over $1000, but they got out of that.  Last I knew they had a couple of original black in stock.

Ooooo.  Yes, could you please ask them.  I don't care about looks, only functionality.   

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »
Probably more than you wanted to spend

That Consew is based on the Old Singer 29K series of shoe patch machines. I have a 29K60 which is a longer arm than the one shown in the link. Mine is still on a treadle mount and will easily sew through 9 oz+ leather. For leigh weight leather and heavy cloth it will do very well. It has no reverse but the walking foot will feed a full 360*.
Those old machines can be found for decent money if you know where to look.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:29:30 AM »
Harbor Freight Tools has (or had) a heavy duty sewing machine that should be okay for leather. You'll find that none of the sewing machines sold at Sears, Wal-Mart, or Jo Anne Fabrics are anywhere near strong enough to handle even light leather.

Here it is: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3914

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »
^^^
This is very similar to what I'd seen.

Not a bad price, either.  Especially after a 20% off coupon.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 10:13:50 AM »
Yup.  Running a needle through leather or dead Nauga beast isn't a job for lightweight sewing machines.

I wouldn't even do it with my wife's Pfaff sewing machine.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 10:35:03 AM »
Yup.  Running a needle through leather or dead Nauga beast isn't a job for lightweight sewing machines.

Is naugahyde still a product ?  I haven't seen that in decades.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 10:59:07 AM »
I disagree.  I have sewn lightweight leather, straps of various kinds, and similar material on my Wally-World Brother sewing machine.  It's a matter of getting the right needle, the right thread, and going slowly while assisting the machine with feeding smoothly.  I wouldn't try it for any but the most lightweight leather, although I've sewn some pretty substantial pieces of vinyl, but on the whole, I think people underestimate their sewing machines.  Denim--of any weight that I have ever encountered--is absolutely no problem, nor is Cordura, for the typical home machine.  Really, leather is the only questionable area you've raised, and just keep it lightweight.

Personally, instead of going nuts trying to obtain and maintain an industrial sewing machine, unless you are planning a lot of heavy duty all-leather pieces, I'd just take any small jobs involving heavier leather to a tailor/shoe repair, and do the rest on a standard home machine.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 11:02:58 AM by BridgeWalker »

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
Ok, just talked to mom she has a Singer Featherweight Model 221 from 1953 with a new case and new plug and wiring.
She had it marked $500 but says she could do $450.  Says it will definitely do denim and cordura, canvas, etc. Never tried it on leather but she thinks light leather will be fine.  She has the heavy-duty needles for it.  She said one of her customers makes canvas boat covers with one.

The one thing to consider for this model over something like the harbor freight is the portability.  This unit weighs in at 11.5 lbs and the table folds up to fit in the case.

These are photos taken from the internet, NOT the actual one she has for sale.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 11:09:58 AM »
Our old Singer is only up to snuff for light denim and canvas, but I don't know about leather...course, i don't know the model, and I'm not pulling it out of the table to find out.

You may want to join Lightfighter, Revdisk, and check out the "Roll Your Own gear" side of the forum. http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/frm/f/829100313

You'll unfortunatly have to login to actually see the threads. If you do join, follow the directions of joining (post an intro post in the appropriate thread in the General Discussion,fill out your profile a bit)
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 11:22:43 AM »
You might check into sewing machines designed for making sails.

IIRC they have some non-electric ones for use at sea.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »
The Uniroyal naugahyde factory in Stoughton, just down the road from me, recently recalled 39 laid-off employees as it rebounds from last year.

So, yeah, it appears there are still plenty of little Nauga Beasts being slaughtered. 

http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/article_259a4f6e-1118-11df-8581-001cc4c03286.html
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »

I'm very much leaning towards a Singer 221 Featherweight for light sewing.  Apparently there is quite a cult following for them, as well as plenty of parts, manuals, books, etc.  Repair and maintenance is apparently quite easy.  Apparently there tends to be dozens on eBay at any given time.

For heavier sewing, I'm thinking older Consew 226 (or 206) or a new Seiko.  Consew went the Singer route.  Apparently, their new stuff is cheap Chinese poor quality and they're hoping to make money off their name for as long as possible.  It'll be a while as they tend to run $700 to over a grand.