Author Topic: Sewing Machines  (Read 9132 times)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: Sewing Machines
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 03:31:42 AM »
The Uniroyal naugahyde factory in Stoughton, just down the road from me, recently recalled 39 laid-off employees as it rebounds from last year.

So, yeah, it appears there are still plenty of little Nauga Beasts being slaughtered. 

Q: With all the cruelty in the world, how can you kill those cute little Naugas just for their hydes?
A: We don't. Naugas shed their hydes without harm to themselves, making Naugahyde the Cruelty-Free Fabric.

=D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 07:59:33 AM »
So, yeah, it appears there are still plenty of little Nauga Beasts being slaughtered.
Those poor Naugas, will it ever end?  =(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 11:56:26 AM »
i had to give up an older siger commercial model in a table for lack of space.   i tried to convince a friend of mine to take it, but he didn't see the need.   ended up going for $75 on an auction, table and all.  still have an old singer treadle machine that not only looks great, but has sewn a few tarps. even going through 6 layers of sunbrella at the corners.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »
All this talk of sewing machines reminded me of other Granny's second husband Joe. Joe was a Singer sewing machine repairman. Last time I saw him was ~ 1966 or something like that. They had moved to Miami when I was a wee pup so I never saw much of them. He died a couple years after that last visit. Anyhoo Joe drove around Miami for years in a 1956 Rambler station wagon filled with compartmented cabinets and boxes full of parts for sewing machines. He had even installed aftermarket AC in the car when they moved to Florida, he could make the car like a refrigerator with that thing.

Joe was a cool old guy. I was about 10 back then and every night while I was there he would take me for this thing that we didn't have in CT at the time. A Slurpee. The one night he said we were going to get a big boy Slurpee and we went to some rickety old Fla bar where I sat on a stool and talked to people while he drank his big boy Slurpee. Granny found out and he got reamed for taking me into a bar.  :O

:lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 06:17:59 PM »
Disk,

Back when I was doing RenFaire costuming, I bought a used Husqvarna Viking, and I was able to use it for everything up to and including 12oz leather.  It also does a fine job on lighter fabrics, like the wool that I used to make the ministerial robes that BrokenMa and I use for ceremonies involving nervous grandmothers and the like.

Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.