Poll

Would you implant something into your body to enhance mental performance?

Definitely
14 (28.6%)
Probably
9 (18.4%)
Don't know
13 (26.5%)
Doubtful
8 (16.3%)
Never
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Transhumanism  (Read 7324 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Transhumanism
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 07:29:31 PM »
I'll take the Terminator cyborg eye, built in IR and range finding, never know when you might need such.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Hell yes. I got extra tuition in high school to try to get a passing grade in math (didn't work). Getting some sort of implant, or perhaps some gene that provides me with a permanent neural booster to fix it or to assist me in learning? Gimme nao!
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »
i see this as the opposite of Harrison Bergeron, but with the same result.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
Don't know.  I'd have to do a risk/benefit analysis first.  If the risks of death, debilitation, etc were very low, and the benefits great, I'd do it (if I had the money).  Otherwise, probably not. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »
No, I don't think so.  Going down that path can only end badly.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 12:01:40 AM »

How so?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 06:13:31 AM »

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 07:01:24 AM »
"improve human mental and physical characteristics"

sure, as soon as they show me someone with the spider/superman physical characteristics I'll let them work
on my ancien greek.....

Godless idiots.
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
Godless idiots.
All praise the Omnissiah.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 08:14:21 AM »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

erictank

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 08:53:57 AM »
I've gotta admit, the idea of being able to "jack in" a skill set, language, etc. at need has some appeal to me.  [Neo]"Whoa.  I know kung fu."[/Neo]  Build up a whole library of data/skill chips, and break out what you need, when you need it.  Granted that it certainly opens up a whole new world of personal/data security issues... No, I won't be doing it when Gen 1.0 comes out, guaranteed.  But I'd be interested in that sort of thing.

On the physical end of things... well, at the moment, I'm running on all original parts, with only mild external assistance (I wear contacts to correct pretty bad myopia to slightly better than 20/20).  I am, however, a diabetic maintaining fair blood-sugar control with meds who's struggled with weight issues for a long while now - the idea of hardware assistance for various bodily systems would be enticing, no lie.  I can see some replacement or "upgrade" parts which I'd love to have, for a wide variety of reasons.  And that's not even considering musculoskeletal and nervous upgrades for speed, strength, durability, physical sensors accepting additional types and ranges of inputs - biotechnic implants like those David Weber writes about in his 'Dahak' series ('Mutineer's Moon', 'The Armageddon Inheritance', and 'Heirs Of Empire', or the 'Ashes Of Empire' omnibus collection - the first book is available for free as an ebook at the Baen Free Library online) would be VERY nice indeed.

So, yeah, I'd probably end up with one or more "upgraded" systems, given the choice.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 06:48:13 PM »
I've gotta admit, the idea of being able to "jack in" a skill set, language, etc. at need has some appeal to me.  [Neo]"Whoa.  I know kung fu."[/Neo]  Build up a whole library of data/skill chips, and break out what you need, when you need it.  Granted that it certainly opens up a whole new world of personal/data security issues... No, I won't be doing it when Gen 1.0 comes out, guaranteed.  But I'd be interested in that sort of thing.

On the physical end of things... well, at the moment, I'm running on all original parts, with only mild external assistance (I wear contacts to correct pretty bad myopia to slightly better than 20/20).  I am, however, a diabetic maintaining fair blood-sugar control with meds who's struggled with weight issues for a long while now - the idea of hardware assistance for various bodily systems would be enticing, no lie.  I can see some replacement or "upgrade" parts which I'd love to have, for a wide variety of reasons.  And that's not even considering musculoskeletal and nervous upgrades for speed, strength, durability, physical sensors accepting additional types and ranges of inputs - biotechnic implants like those David Weber writes about in his 'Dahak' series ('Mutineer's Moon', 'The Armageddon Inheritance', and 'Heirs Of Empire', or the 'Ashes Of Empire' omnibus collection - the first book is available for free as an ebook at the Baen Free Library online) would be VERY nice indeed.

So, yeah, I'd probably end up with one or more "upgraded" systems, given the choice.

check out the last episode of Dollhouse. they had folks that added the hardwear to their heads and would use USB drives to remove data and add other data. if they had the skill set on a drive they could use it, but only run so many at a time.
a person could remove 'fear' and load up "beserker', take out 'cooking' and load 'gun skills', and viola solider.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »
And in the process become a foaming-at-the-mouth monster who likes sauerkraut and kidney pudding.  :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 11:31:07 PM »
i want one of these, but an implant. =D no way nohow. [tinfoil]

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 12:27:17 AM »
If it helps me achieve my goal of living forever, I'd probably implant a lot of things in my head.  :P
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 06:01:28 AM »
I'm already better than 95% of humanity. =D  Don't need to go messing with that, to get a leg up on the competition. :angel:
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 03:46:53 PM »

If transhumanism leading to Jerry Ryan in a sking tight suit is wrong, I don't want to be right.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 04:48:08 PM »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams