Author Topic: Cavalry Arms is no more.  (Read 9267 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Cavalry Arms is no more.
« on: February 22, 2010, 10:20:24 AM »
No, this is not a drive by posting.  I know some of you have been following this one.

Gilbert firearms maker admits to illegal sale of weapons
Complex gun regulations led to owner's violation, his attorney says

A Gilbert firearms manufacturer will cease its gun operations after the company's owner pleaded guilty to illegally selling rifles, shotguns and handguns.

Cavalry Arms Corp. says on its Web site that it has been "engaged in an ongoing dispute" with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, or ATF, for two years over "regulatory and compliance mistakes."

But in federal court last week, owner Shawn Nealon admitted that he and his company illegally sold as many as 40 weapons to an out-of state buyer, and he voluntarily surrendered his federal firearms licenses, meaning Cavalry will no longer be able to import, manufacture or deal in weapons or ammunition.

"This is not some individual setting up a stand at a gun show," U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke said Friday. "These are the preliminary steps that individuals take to get around federal laws in order to traffic in illegal firearms."

Although none of the Cavalry guns has been linked to a crime, Burke said such cases are a particular concern for the agency.

Illegal-firearms sales are steadily increasing in Arizona, with much of the market driven by demand in Mexico, said Burke, the U.S. attorney for Arizona.

"The activity - southbound guns into Mexico - is very robust," he said. "We have (several) very active investigations going on now."

Nealon's lawyer, Mark Vincent of Chandler, called the charges against his client ridiculous.

"This is by no means a great victory for the government," he said, describing federal gun regulations as arcane. "In my opinion, no gun dealer in the United States could comply with the myriad of regulations. . . . It's almost impossible to determine what the law is."

Vincent said as much as 90 percent of the government's original case against Cavalry was dismissed, leaving his client pleading guilty to selling to an out-of-state buyer.

"It's a minor problem. . . . If that had been the only (charge), I don't know that they would have bothered with it," he said, adding: "Nobody was hurt. Nobody was almost hurt."

Nealon faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine when he is sentenced in April.

But authorities say the bigger victory in this case is stripping Nealon of his firearms license.

Cavalry's primary gun operation involved creating a polymer mold of a part for the AR-15 semiautomatic rifle. The "lower receiver," the piece between the barrel and the stock, contains the firing mechanism. It is defined by the government as a firearm. The receivers were sold to the public and to other manufacturers for commercial and law-enforcement use.

According to a memo from Cavalry's lawyers included in court documents, Cavalry employed six people and sold as many as 6,000 receivers between 2000 and 2006.

In a criminal complaint in 2008, ATF agents accused Nealon of illegal-weapons manufacturing for making the receivers. In addition, he was accused of illegal sales and export of other guns and possession of unlicensed firearms.

"To cover up this widespread illegal activity, Cavalry Arms and Nealon have failed to keep records, falsified records and lied to ATF," the complaint states.

The ATF cited violations dating to 2000, including failure to keep a weapons inventory, failure to conduct background checks on at least 25 purchasers and failure to report a multiple-handgun sale.

Another problem: The ATF said Cavalry had outsourced the production of its molded receivers to an unlicensed company.

Following a search of Cavalry's offices and Nealon's Mesa home in 2008, agents said Nealon had illegally sold weapons to out-of-state buyers, more than 40 of those to a California resident who often stored those weapons at Nealon's home.

Those weapons included: nine 9mm handguns, five .45-caliber handguns, five .22-caliber handguns, five .223 rifles, three 12-gauge shotguns, two .38-caliber handguns, two .44-caliber handguns, a .380-caliber handgun, a .308 rifle, a 7.62x39mm rifle, a 5.45x39mm rifle and a .357 rifle.

"Given Cavalry Arms' . . . willingness to falsify records to cover up illegal activities, including illegal sales, it is difficult, if not impossible, to determine exactly how many illegal sales Cavalry Arms and Nealon have made to out-of-state residents," the criminal complaint states.

Nealon on Friday referred questions about the case to his lawyer. But he said Cavalry is not shutting its doors.

He said the company will sell off its inventory of weapons, which it will be allowed to do with ATF oversight, and concentrate on developing firearm accessories and medical products.

"The firearms portion of our business doesn't make up a large part of what we do," Nealon said.

However, news of the shutdown prompted posts of outrage and well-wishes on Cavalry's Web page.

"CavArms has some righteous dudes working there and the ATF has screwed you over since they don't have the guts to take on street and prison gangs," one person said in an online post.

Burke had another take on the subject.

"This isn't the first or the last time a defendant is going to try and redefine his culpability," the U.S. attorney said. "For the rest of the gun industry, it's a sign to other bad actors that we are going to focus on them."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Cavalry Arms is no more.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »
"This isn't the first or the last time a defendant is going to try and redefine his culpability," the U.S. attorney said. "For the rest of the gun industry, it's a sign to other bad actors that we are going to focus on them."

Read: The gun grabbers couldn't shut down the gun industry with lawsuits so they're going to use regulators to kill as many companies as they can.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
Sad.

I think there ought to be some kind of restriction on the use of criminal charges as fishing expeditions, particularly in such highly regulated areas.  Maybe something along the line of if you can't build a credible case for >50% of the charges, the case needs to be dropped entirely. 

Not that that will ever happen, need to preserve the gov'ts right to prosecute.   =|

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »
But authorities say the bigger victory in this case is stripping Nealon of his firearms license.

I can't believe they'd admit that. What a shame.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »
sold as many as 40 weapons to an out-of state buyer

And where is that part of the Second Amendment  ???

:mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:25:11 AM »
If he was indeed manufacturing receivers without a license, he shouldn't be in the business.
If he was illegally selling weapons to out of state buyers, was he just hoping no one would notice?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »
I think there ought to be some kind of restriction on the use of criminal charges as fishing expeditions, particularly in such highly regulated areas. Maybe something along the line of if you can't build a credible case for >50% of the charges, the case needs to be dropped entirely. 

Amen to that.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »
If he was indeed manufacturing receivers without a license, he shouldn't be in the business.
If he was illegally selling weapons to out of state buyers, was he just hoping no one would notice?

How does a licensing scheme help the consumer?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »
Sgt. Bob--My concern is that those charges could mean any number of things.

For example, an "out of state buyer" may, so far as the BATFE is concerned, mean someone in a grad school program at an Arizona university, with a home and family in Arizona, but prosecutors may argue that for whatever reason, he's not enough of a resident of Arizona to buy guns there.  Whether someone is a permanent enough resident of a state to buy guns there is a question of interpretation.  An AZ driver's license may not necessarily be dispositive.  That the guy's weapons were stored at the defendant's home actually makes this scenario quite plausible--someone living in university housing usually needs an alternative place to store his guns.

An "illegal sale" of parts could be parts sold and recorded using forms updated three days prior to the sale, or parts sold to someone who fraudulently misrepresented himself as being legall permitted to purchase the parts.  Most of these regulatory crimes are strict liability--if you did the "crime" you are guilty, no matter that you had no reasonable way of ascertaining that that particular transaction was illegal.    

Sure, he could be guilty as all get out.  But even allowing for some hyperbole by defense counsel, it seems pretty clear that the BATFE decided to go over everything in the business (and personal) life of this person and his company, throwing away allegations as they failed to find sufficient evidence.  That is not an honorable way to operate, but in a highly regulated industry, it becomes downright oppressive.  It is repugnant to combine thousands of invented strict liability crimes with complete prosecutorial freedom to fish for any violations, no matter how little knowledge or reasonable means of ascertaining knowledge are available to the defendant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 12:05:04 PM »

The REAL skinny:

CavArms subcontracted it's plastic mold process to another company.

That company produced each lower receiver in two halves.  The halves were seamed together and made functional by CavArms properly at their facility, then given a serial number.  ATF decided it could be theoretically possible to "constructively possess" a completed lower by JB-Welding the halves together at the other company's site.

Sounds like the out of state issue is a bunch of guns CavArms doesn't even make.  They don't make handguns and many of those rifles listed.  That was all a bunch of (stupid) private party sales.  That's the bad decisions of the CEO of the company, which then puts the whole company out of business.

Interestingly.... Warren Mee of Ameetec Arms used to work for CavArms.  He dicked something up with a real estate legal issue and did some Fed Time.  I think Warren plea-bargained some time for any dirt he had against Cav Arms.  This dirt is so specious, that it's just the ATF cleaning off its tip list.  Very sad, actually.

I'm disappointed by the entire exchange, and disgusted by Warren Mee's sense of honor.

Dropping dime essentially on "hey, you could superglue the 2 halves together and it'd be an illegal gun" and "oh, yeah:  the owner of that company?  He's got a buddy from CA that he stores guns for in AZ and 'sells' him guns."

Whoop-tee-doo.

I'm sad.  I like CavArms.  I'll be sad to see them go, but I'd love to see someone else come along and buy the process/patent and relaunch the glockified AR lower.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 12:26:53 PM »
The REAL skinny:

CavArms subcontracted it's plastic mold process to another company.

That company produced each lower receiver in two halves.  The halves were seamed together and made functional by CavArms properly at their facility, then given a serial number.  ATF decided it could be theoretically possible to "constructively possess" a completed lower by JB-Welding the halves together at the other company's site.

Sounds like the out of state issue is a bunch of guns CavArms doesn't even make.  They don't make handguns and many of those rifles listed.  That was all a bunch of (stupid) private party sales.  That's the bad decisions of the CEO of the company, which then puts the whole company out of business.

Interestingly.... Warren Mee of Ameetec Arms used to work for CavArms.  He dicked something up with a real estate legal issue and did some Fed Time.  I think Warren plea-bargained some time for any dirt he had against Cav Arms.  This dirt is so specious, that it's just the ATF cleaning off its tip list.  Very sad, actually.

I'm disappointed by the entire exchange, and disgusted by Warren Mee's sense of honor.

Dropping dime essentially on "hey, you could superglue the 2 halves together and it'd be an illegal gun" and "oh, yeah:  the owner of that company?  He's got a buddy from CA that he stores guns for in AZ and 'sells' him guns."

Whoop-tee-doo.

I'm sad.  I like CavArms.  I'll be sad to see them go, but I'd love to see someone else come along and buy the process/patent and relaunch the glockified AR lower.

This is my gut feeling of how this went down as well.  =|

And I agree, these fishing expeditions where they dig until they "find something" are unethical.

Despite how out of all proportion these prosecutions are, the one saving grace for the rest of us that I see is so far most all of these ATF/fed.gov "railroad jobs" involve someone doing something "stupid" to garner the attention.

- Randy Weaver DID actually saw off those shotgun barrels for the informants.

- The recent case of the Arfcommer/Glocktalker in WI who got busted for the "machine gun" when in reality it was a defective el-cheapo Olympic Arms AR. He played/bragged about that function amongst his friends instead of demanding Olympic Arms fix it. He was already a person of interest for public Anti fed.gov writings, and for lots of missing equipment/materials while in the National Guard.

- Cav Arms had shady business partners (who perhaps they knew, perhaps they didn't) who liked to play fast and loose in other areas of business. And apparently the owner did engage in a large amount of interstate firearms sales. It seems to me that if it were just the sub-contracted receiver halves issue, Cav. Arms would have prevailed eventually. (Not that the time and expense weren't probably ruinously burdensome as-is)

Does it warrant wives sniped? Dogs shot? Kittens stomped? Houses burned? Years of grinding investigation? Absolutely not. However to date, MOST of these cases do at least have one or more elements of: "Drunk girl in a bikini wearing stripper heels moaning 'Oh me so horny!' walking down a dark alley and winding up the victim of rape."

I'll save my 110% of my full-throttle activism and energy and righteous indignation for the gun owner/business equivalent of the "Little old lady who goes to church on Sunday, and was at home in her locked house with the security system on."
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 02:13:47 PM »
Sad.

I think there ought to be some kind of restriction on the use of criminal charges as fishing expeditions, particularly in such highly regulated areas.  Maybe something along the line of if you can't build a credible case for >50% of the charges, the case needs to be dropped entirely. 

Not that that will ever happen, need to preserve the gov'ts right to prosecute.   =|
I like that idea.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »
Does it warrant wives sniped? Dogs shot? Kittens stomped? Houses burned? Years of grinding investigation? Absolutely not. However to date, MOST of these cases do at least have one or more elements of: "Drunk girl in a bikini wearing stripper heels moaning 'Oh me so horny!' walking down a dark alley and winding up the victim of rape."

Except when its more like "gorgeous chick with great ass goes to a bar with some friends, friends behave badly, she ditches them, and gets raped on her way home." 

When an entire industry is regarded as fine pickings for oppressive investigations and then the basis for the investigation is who you USED to work with, I'm less convinced that they were inviting trouble. 

Of course, that still leaves the issue of the out-of-state sales, so yeah, I guess in this case you are right.

I guess that what you are doing can invite trouble if it's bordering on illegal, and that illegal private actions can reasonably lead to suspicion of illegal corporate actions, but when it is based on who you know instead of what you did, that is, to my mind, considerably less legit.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 02:51:15 PM »
Except when its more like "gorgeous chick with great ass goes to a bar with some friends, friends behave badly, she ditches them, and gets raped on her way home." 

Why are we nit-picking on the nekkidness of the chick in the allegory?

Does it really matter?

The degree of nekkidness/drunkness/horniness has nothing to do with the fact she didn't WANT it from the skeezy junky (ATF) that jumped her.

that still leaves the issue of the out-of-state sales

Those are personal decisions, not corporate ones... at least that's my guess/assumption.  No reason to put the company out of business.

Hopefully the FFL and patent and manufacturing process are still assets that Nealon can sell off to someone else.  The MkII CavArms receiver is pretty nice, all things said.  A good value if you like a fixed buttstock.

I love this tie-in:

But in federal court last week, owner Shawn Nealon admitted that he and his company illegally sold as many as 40 weapons to an out-of state buyer, and he voluntarily surrendered his federal firearms licenses, meaning Cavalry will no longer be able to import, manufacture or deal in weapons or ammunition.

"This is not some individual setting up a stand at a gun show," U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke said Friday. "These are the preliminary steps that individuals take to get around federal laws in order to traffic in illegal firearms."

Although none of the Cavalry guns has been linked to a crime, Burke said such cases are a particular concern for the agency.

Illegal-firearms sales are steadily increasing in Arizona, with much of the market driven by demand in Mexico, said Burke, the U.S. attorney for Arizona.

"The activity - southbound guns into Mexico - is very robust," he said. "We have (several) very active investigations going on now."

The 40 personally-sold guns being STORED AT NEALON'S HOUSE are somehow TIED TO CAVARMS-RELATED GUN TRAFFICKING TO MEXICO?

1.  Find Snitch (Warren Mee)
2.  Harrass Company (CavArms)
3.  Fling charges, butt into private lives (Nealon)
4.  Use Mexican gun boogeyman
5.  ???
6.  Profit!

This US Attorney is a putz.  The logic is deafening with its volume of STUPID.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »
Why are we nit-picking on the nekkidness of the chick in the allegory?

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Uh, I mean, "Perhaps another analogy might better serve the interests of debate."
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 03:09:16 PM »
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B6KRQT10vNOzZWM1N2UzNjgtNWY3YS00NWVhLWJmYmEtNWEyOWI5OThjZjk2&hl=en

Actually reading through the fed.gov complaint, if you take "a grain of salt" because you distrust the ATF/fed prosecutor (and I do), and dismiss 90% of what they charge as frivolous... that remaining ten percent is still pretty bad news for Cav Arms and it's ownership. And we can decry the picky rules of the 1968 GCA all we want, hell, I'm no fan either.

However they were found in violation, given the chance to come into compliance, gave the ATF written acknowledgment of the violations, that their injection molding subcontractor AZP would cease making both receiver halves at once, and Cav Arms would retain custody of the alternate mold halves, so AZP would not ever be in possession of both molds at once. Upon re inspection, AZP was found to still have both mold halves in production. And that's just still halfway into the complaint.

In continuing my (increasingly unfortunate... sorry) analogy, the "raped tramp" didn't just walk down the alley once, but every night... for years.

Arfcom is currently in full implosion mode trying to decide if Cav Arms abused their support or not for the past two years.

Do I see anything that indicates Cav Arms and it's officers engaged in any "mens rae" acts? Maybe not. It would seem that it's all pretty much "prohibitum malum" GCA '68 violations.

However, can anyone translate "Willfully, stupidly, arrogantly, *%&#-brained, stupid STUPID STUPID STUPID!" into Latin for me?  =|
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:19:53 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »
I gotta wonder if they should have found another outfit to make one half of the receiver just to keep it on the up and up.  

....or figured out some way to leave off some critical part that could be "assembled" at their site.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »
I gotta wonder if they should have found another outfit to make one half of the receiver just to keep it on the up and up.  

....or figured out some way to leave off some critical part that could be "assembled" at their site.

Dosen't matter. They made those arrangments with the ATF, said they'd only let AZP have one half of the molds in their custody, and only one half of the polymer receiver halves at any given time, and just didn't do that.

From fed.gov's point of view, what worth is some other separation scheme if they wouldn't comply with the one they already offered to the ATF to be in compliance?
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 04:11:11 PM »
What's AZP, and what exactly, in layman's terms, did CavArms do?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »

AZP = Arizona Plastics, I think.

Cav Arms receivers are plastic.

They are made in a mold, in two halves.

The halves are sandwiched together and seamed with a heat-seamer to assemble the lower receiver.

ATF said that two unassembled halves = constructive possession.  AZP had both halves of the mold (left and right sides).  An employee could JB Weld a pair of halves into a non-serial-numbered, unknown receiver.

CavArms said they would only let AZP have 1 mold at a time, and pick up all inventory.  Evidently ATF proved this to be false.

Also, the CEO of CavArms "sold" guns to a Californian buddy and stored them in his safe, in AZ.  Cali buddy would come for fun to AZ to go shooting with "his" guns.

A whole butt-load of technicalities that the ATF compounded into the zOMGtheMexicansIzGettingGunz!1!eleventi!1.
--Lysander Spooner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 04:44:45 PM »

AZP is a plastics molding company. "Arizona Plastics" or some such, I presume.

To be a firearms manufacturer in the U.S. you need an FFL07 Federal Firearms License Type 07.

Cavalry Arms makes all-plastic AR-15/M-16 style "lowers" which are one piece with the stock. In the U.S. an AR-15 "lower" is the part that is legally defined as the "firearm" and needs to be transferred through a dealer/FFL etc. And produced by a FFL.

Cavalry sub-contracted out the production of the left and right halves of their plastic AR lowers to AZP. Cav Arms would then glue the halves together (super-glue? Sonic welding? An oven? I dunno...) On discovering this, the ATF said this was unacceptable and amounted to illegal manufacturing by AZP.

Cav Arms wrote in a letter that to be in compliance, they'd take one mold in their possession, and then switch them with AZP who could then only make one half of a plastic AR15 lower at a time. AZP was to never have both molds or both halves of plastic receivers in their possession.

Then when reinspected, AZP still had both halves of the molds, and presumably both halves of AR-15 style plastic lower receiver/stock assemblies on their premises.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 05:57:02 PM »
IMO, trying to actually control that sort of "one mold" arrangement would be a nightmare.  It makes me wonder if he ever did comply with that promise.  As I said, he should have found someone else to make the other half.  That would have negated the issue. 

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 07:04:42 PM »
My 6.8 SPC sports a CavArms lower.   

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 08:16:55 PM »
Railroaded.   

Couldn't get it done with actual CHARGES, so they bled em' dry

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 08:23:08 PM »
IMO, trying to actually control that sort of "one mold" arrangement would be a nightmare.  It makes me wonder if he ever did comply with that promise.  As I said, he should have found someone else to make the other half.  That would have negated the issue.  

I'm not sure it would be that impossible. Both companies were in Arizona together. The first time they got dinged for AZP being in possession of both molds, the fed.gov civil complaint document I linked to above in this thread said Cav Arms stated they'd be OK because they had filled their production target for the year. (Granted, before the Obamania rush on guns...)

I can't imagine it would be that horrible to have AZP mail them one mold to be locked up at Cav Arms premises, finish all the left halves. Send Cav Arms the other half FIRST via UPS, FedEx, or USPS, THEN Cav Arms releases the second mold to AZP... File away the mailing shipping receipts if they ever get audited by the ATF again to prove that AZP never had both molds or both halves of the receivers at once.

Half the mold was only a 50% "firearm" (in the vein of an 80% receiver which are legal without FFL...) and as an 07 FFL, no problem for Cav to have both whenever they wanted.

Pure conjecture, but it would seem to me that Cav just decided "Hell, we got inspected, we're not due again for several years..." not thinking the ATF would actually follow up.  ;/

I'll happily agree with those who want to argue the moral, constitutional, or even the necessity of all the GCA '68 regs they violated. However, stupid is as stupid does...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:28:13 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.