Author Topic: Lawsuit filed against D.C. for right to carry...  (Read 1359 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Lawsuit filed against D.C. for right to carry...
« on: February 22, 2010, 05:46:48 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/20/AR2010022003376.html

As one of the plaintiffs who sued the District for the right to keep handguns in the home, Palmer has one notch on his belt. Now he's suing the city again, this time for the right to carry firearms in public.

I wish him and his co-plaintiffs the best of luck. I have to admit, the idea of putting this before the Supreme court makes me as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. This could be for all the chips...IF the Supremes decide we have no right to carry in public, what happens to all the gains we have made with concealed carry in the last 20 years?

On the other hand, Alan Gura has the case, which is encouraging.

Here's a link to another POST article about the case...http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/07/AR2009080702997.html
Hi.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Lawsuit filed against D.C. for right to carry...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
SAF also helping carry the weight.

Strangely... no NRA present.

I'm sure they'll step in right before it makes it to SCOTUS and muscle their way in to hog the acclaim, though.

Go Gura!  Go SAF!

FU, NRA!

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 07:46:12 PM »
No NRA help. Surely you jest. But wait. Folks will come along and remind us that the NRA is an international Org and busy fighting the UN, and they will give long lists of the NRA's victories.

But I agree with you. The NRA will wait until the last minute, butt in
and use it as a fund drive.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:56:48 PM »
SAF also helping carry the weight.

Strangely... no NRA present.

I'm sure they'll step in right before it makes it to SCOTUS and muscle their way in to hog the acclaim, though.

Go Gura!  Go SAF!

FU, NRA!

[popcorn]

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:14:18 AM »
Heller specifically talked about carry outside the home, although it wasn't the subject of the case so a ruling on that aspect was not made.  The findings pretty much say some form of public carry must be provided for either open or concealed if not both.

There's no real downside to this, states can't be more restrictive than the Feds, the 48 states that are currently better can stay status quo or improve, the two without carry will be SOL.

Note also that overly restrictive discretionary laws are vulnerable to equal protection charges, as California's is currently being attacked, and will be subject tot eh dicta in Heller after teh expected win on Mcdonald.  So even the "bad" carry states won't be getting worse, if strict scrutiny is applied to the Second then discretionary regimes are gone based on the extant evidence.

Here's hoping NRA grows up enough to admit to being a supporter rather than a lead.  Doing so would earn them a lot of goodwill from the members int eh know and wouldn't cost them a dime in donations.  But no, they have to pretend they are always out front.

Whiny little girls the lot of 'em.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."