Author Topic: John Murtha, 1932-2010  (Read 12844 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: John Murtha, 1932-2010
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »
Question for the PA residents: who is likely to campaign for his seat? Anyone pro-gun, anti-healthcare bill?

Dunno about the anti-Obamacare, but

Mark Singel – Previously A- rated in 1990, though his final NRA rating could not be quickly located.
Sen. John Wozniak – A rated
Sen. Richard Kasunic – A+ rated
Ron Mackell Jr. – unknown
Ryan Buccianeri – unknown
Bracken Burns – unknown
Vince Zapotosky – unknown

Republican
Bill Russell – A rated
Sen. Kim Ward – A rated
Rep. Dave Reed – A rated
Rep. Jeff Pyle – A+ rated
Diana Irey – A rated
Tim Burns – unknown

Of the known individuals, you have your worst candidate being A-.  I'm highly annoyed.  Only ONE A+ candidate per party.  Darn it, this is PA.   My candidates should not be arguing for or against gun control, but rather which one has the most impressive collection of weaponry and will do the best job at smiting the Brady Bunch.  Which would be the guy that's running for mayor next term.  He collects artillery pieces.  Honestly, I could care less about any other platform the guy takes.  If he thinks everyone should have an M198 155mm howitzer, that's good enough for me.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 01:59:06 PM »
Quote from: RevDisk link=topic=22969.msg441410#msg441410 dalete=1265826253
If he thinks everyone should have an M198 155mm howitzer, that's good enough for me.

So they're against everyone owning M109's ??  Self Propelled Artillery is a Basic Human Right !!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 03:38:50 PM »
So they're against everyone owning M109's ??  Self Propelled Artillery is a Basic Human Right !!

Probably banned on the grounds that if I had an SP gun other people would be getting their basic human rights oppressed. 155 really does re-define "neighbor."  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 03:45:13 PM »

Is it?   I have yet to see ONE Oleg poster regarding the matter!  Correct that and we can talk the matter over.  Until then, you have NOTHING to stand on.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 05:04:36 PM »
You know..  a real man would have an M110 203mm SP howitzer, none of that sissy 155mm stuff.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 05:49:31 PM »
I just want an RPG with some practice rockets.   =(
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
You know..  a real man would have an M110 203mm SP howitzer, none of that sissy 155mm stuff.

http://www.biocrawler.com/w/images/5/52/MLRS_missile_launcher.jpg

The sound and the fury.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »
Marine, served in two wars, Bronze Star, two Purple Hearts... and he gets taken out by a botched surgery.

That ain't right.

Nah, it was Karma.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 10:37:11 AM »
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_040004020.html

Filling the vacancy ‘a complicated situation’

By MIKE FAHER and SANDRA K. REABUCK
The death of U.S. Rep. John Murtha will set off a flurry of political activity, including a special election to fill the 12th Congressional District seat.

But it was unclear on Monday when that election will happen, as party leaders and Gov. Ed Rendell struggled to come to terms with the death of a colleague.

“I haven’t had time to look at this at all,” Rendell said Monday afternoon in a conference call with reporters.

It will be up to Rendell to set a special election in which voters would choose someone to serve the remainder of the Johnstown Democrat’s unexpired term, which runs through the end of the year.

Citing cost concerns, Rendell said he was unsure whether such an election should be held before the May primary. The governor also said he would solicit input from congressional leaders.

But he declined to speculate further, saying “this is not the day for that.”

The process of selecting one Republican and one Democrat for a special election would begin in the 12th Congressional District Murtha had represented for 36 years.

Mary Isenhour, executive director of the Pennsylvania Democratic Party, said Democratic committee members within the district would make a recommendation to the state committee’s executive board.

That board chooses a Democratic candidate.

The process works a little differently on the GOP side. Michael Barley, spokesman for the Republican Party of Pennsylvania, said a candidate for the special election would be chosen at a meeting of Republican representatives from within the 12th district.

At that meeting, prospective candidates will make their case to “conferees” representing each county in the district.

“(Potential candidates) come and present why they think they should run and answer questions from the conferees,” Barley said. “Whoever is nominated at that meeting is the candidate.”

Aside from the special election process, there’s also this year’s regularly scheduled primary and general elections that will determine who takes the 12th Congressional District seat in January 2011.

Murtha had intended to run again. Two

Republicans and two Democrats had said they would challenge. But the longtime lawmaker’s death likely will bring many additional contenders from both parties for the May 18 primary election.

For the most part, Murtha had easily defeated all comers throughout his career. Now, the field will be wide open in a district that spreads all the way to the state’s southwest corner.

“They will be coming out of the woodwork,” said Ed Cernic Sr. of West Taylor Township, a Democrat and political insider who has supported candidates of both parties.

However, Fred R. Smith, Cambria County election supervisor, cautioned that the cost of a congressional election could discourage some potential candidates.

“Even when Mr. Murtha had no primary challenge, he still spent $350,000,” Smith said.

Robert A. Gleason Jr., the Cambria County and state Republican chairman, agreed that economics could dampen the field.

“It may be daunting,” Gleason said. “It could cost $1.5 million to run. We will probably have a special election and a general election, so it could cause a lot of confusion and difficulty.”

Gleason added that a lot of people “who have been waiting in the wings to run and not wanting to run against Murtha will run in the primary and seek the special election nomination.”

Helen Whiteford, Cambria County Democratic chairwoman, said Murtha “represented the entire district, not just Cambria County. He had lot of broad-based support, including labor.”

County Democrats, she said, will be looking for a candidate who can deliver for the district as Murtha has done through the years.

No matter which candidates wind up seeking the office in the special, primary and general

elections, there is no doubt that there will be

plenty of political campaigning in the coming months.

“It will be a complicated situation,” said U.S. Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Hollidaysburg.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 05:15:40 PM »
the news this morning mentioned Mrs. Murtha might run for the seat.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 01:00:29 PM »
Be Advised: I have NOT gone to the links sited nor re-checked Snopes, so take this for what it's worth.  Just a counterpoint to Jack's Purple hearts and distinguished service. Not being a vet, I have the utmost respect for our military, but I have no illusions that some easily manipulate the system for their own goals. Blame it on the fact that I'm currently reading Stephen Hunter's Time to Hunt.

An e-mail I received last evening:

> > The following was written by Robert "Bud" MacFarlane...U.S. Marine
> > Artilleryman extraordinare and National Security Advisor to President
> > Reagan. To dispel any confusion on the part of the "Not So Old Breed" of
> > Marines, Bud's otherwise totally accurate piece contains one inaccuracy.
> > Murtha was a regimental, not battalion S-2. My source on that one is my
> > brother who commanded G/2/1 when Murtha was the S-2, 1st Marines. One can
> > understand how an infantry battalion S-2 might have picked up a wound or
> > two but it's more than a little difficult to understand how a Regimental S-2
> > could have gotten two while hanging around the regimental command post
> > most days.
> >
> > JDL
> >
> >
> >
> > Subject: THOUGHTS ON JACK MURTHA
> >
> >
> >
> > In his Meditation XVII, known to most of us as No Man Is An Island, John
> > Donne opined that any man's death diminishes us all. As Mr. Donne preceded
> > Jack Murtha by nearly four centuries he can be forgiven the broadness of
> > this statement.
> >
> > Congressman Jack Murtha was a profoundly destructive force in American
> > politics. His legislative efforts were limited to lining the pockets of
> > himself, his family, and assorted cronies. For all of his woofing about
> > being sympathetic to the men and women of the Armed Forces he did not
> > author a single piece of legislation in his career which did anything other than
> > milk the Department of Defense for money.
> >
> > Murtha did lead a charmed life. In Vietnam, as seems de rigeur among
> > Democrat politicians who served there, he managed to acquire two Purple
> > Hearts without spending a single day in the hospital.
> > http://sweetness-light.com/archive/murthas-purple-hearts-questioned
> >
> > Likewise, he picked up a Bronze Star with V device as a battalion
> > intelligence officer.
> > As a member of Congress he was up to his eyeballs selling his influence to
> > all comers and was captured on video by the FBI.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscam
> > For reasons that have never been real clear, Murtha was allowed to skate
> > while he testified against two colleagues.
> >
> > One would say that the real shame of Murtha's congressional tenure took
> > place in the past 6 years when he attempted to burnish his anti-war
> > credentials for a run at a congressional leadership position at the
> > expense of the men and women engaged in combat. He publicly declared the Marines
> > charged with murder in connection with alleged killings at Haditha were
> > guilty (they have since been acquitted or the charges have been dropped)
> > and he described General David Petraeus as a political hack.
> > http://archive.redstate.com/stories/the_parties/democrats/jack_murtha_is_a_d
> > elusional_windbag
> >
> > All respect to Mr. Donne, none of us are diminished by the death of Jack
> > Murtha. He was a man of few if any redeeming public attributes, he
> > pillaged the treasury to enrich himself, he tarnished the reputation of good men,
> > and he was a blight on the body politic. The nation is better off, not for his
> > death but for his absence from its political life.
> >
> >

With All Due Respect.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 08:50:29 PM »
Hasn't made its way to snopes yet.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »
> > For reasons that have never been real clear, Murtha was allowed to skate
> > while he testified against two colleagues.

Because he never took a bribe.  It's not rocket science.  Heck, it's right there in the Wikipedia link sent along with the email.

> > One would say that the real shame of Murtha's congressional tenure took
> > place in the past 6 years when he attempted to burnish his anti-war
> > credentials for a run at a congressional leadership position at the
> > expense of the men and women engaged in combat. He publicly declared the Marines
> > charged with murder in connection with alleged killings at Haditha were
> > guilty (they have since been acquitted or the charges have been dropped)

Actually one of them is still up on 9 charges.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
[Because he never took a bribe.  /b]  i've watched the tape  all he did was differ it till he'd done something for em.   and he still was obligated to report the attempted bribe.  he forgot to

and don't expect Wuterich to get convicted  he might not even make it to trial.
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/military/article_a6804420-f820-559f-b872-c4257412f24c.html
the prosecution is desperate.  and since all the others have been cleared unless Wuterich managed to go rambo and kill everyone single handed the prosecution should say  sorry and go home quietly.  murtha woulda been wise to do the same.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I