Author Topic: PCs with HDMI ports  (Read 3204 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
PCs with HDMI ports
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
Does the existence of an HDMI port mean I can connect the PC to a standard HD LCD TV set?  If so, will the performance be on par with a standard LDC monitor?  Will sound output from the PC play through the LCD TV speakers? 

I'm wondering if I could use a 23" LCD TV instead of a monitor...

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: PCs with HDMI ports
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:19:16 AM »
As far as I know, yes. I don't have direct experience, but have been shopping for one of these to use as an "always on" home server and internet surfer:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030L3ASU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0P0E6N4EHN7FJD8SNA4W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Most people seem to use them as an HTPC and hook them up to their big screens. Apparently even with an Atom processor, they seem to do the job highdef-wise just fine.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:21:11 AM »
Doubt you'll find a small screen like that any higher than 720p.  That means 1280x720 resolution.

TVs tend to be pretty limited on resolution.  Depends on what you want to do with it.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:39:15 AM »
Giga, I'm noticing that.  I don't plan to watch much HD programming.  Currently, the only stuff I watch that isn't youtube vids are tv shows on Hulu.  I do that a couple times a month.  I'll probably watch a movie now and then, but this isn't going to be a replacement for my "normal" TV. 

Chris

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:42:12 AM »
If it has a working HDMI out you'll have no trouble hooking it up to an HDMI equipped TV.  You may have to tweak the settings in the video card utility, but it will work.  As mentioned, the resolution will generally not be as good as a comparably sized monitor. 1366×768 is the typical native resolution for a 32" lcd TV.  It wouldn't be great for heavy duty word processing or spreadsheets, but it works pretty well for most everything else.

As far as the sound,  some video cards output the audio, and some don't.  

I have had various Computers hooked up to my 32" TV's  a few years for gaming, watching hulu videos, or watching ripped content with VLC.

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 11:07:34 AM »
As far as I know, yes. I don't have direct experience, but have been shopping for one of these to use as an "always on" home server and internet surfer:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030L3ASU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0P0E6N4EHN7FJD8SNA4W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Most people seem to use them as an HTPC and hook them up to their big screens. Apparently even with an Atom processor, they seem to do the job highdef-wise just fine.

For that price I might suggest getting a PS3 and then running PS3 media server
(works better and handles more codecs than WMP's media server)

It works great as a media server that can be linked to your main PC.
Or you can simply plug in an external USB drive to the PS3 and serve off that.

In addition you'll have a great gaming system and a bluray player.
You can serf the web from it. Though it's not ideal for that use.
But you can add a full sized keyboard to it for that or get one of these
here

Just a suggestion
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 11:11:35 AM »
Giga, I'm noticing that.  I don't plan to watch much HD programming.  Currently, the only stuff I watch that isn't youtube vids are tv shows on Hulu.  I do that a couple times a month.  I'll probably watch a movie now and then, but this isn't going to be a replacement for my "normal" TV. 

Chris

Gotcha.  If you're using it for videos I'm sure it'll be great.  After all that's what a TV is for.

Crunching numbers in Excel or banging away in an IDE all day?  Not so much. :)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 11:18:30 AM »
Crunching numbers in Excel or banging away in an IDE all day?  Not so much.

Hmm.  I may have to reconsider.  We don't do a lot of that, but when we have to, I don't want to go blind.

Chris

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:44 AM »
Chris,

I run my laptop's HDMI into my home theatre for various reasons, and it works fine.  The 55" 1080p screen makes a really nice display for presentations and NetFlix streaming, as well as for gaming.  :)

One gotcha that it took my a little while to figure out:  Chances are your audio configuration will need to be changed to use the HDMI outputs instead of whatever "standard" audio out you have; Windows (at least Vista) doesn't put the sound out to both places at the same time.  And you can't switch the destination of a given audio stream once it's already been opened, so be sure to switch the audio to use HDMI before starting up whatever it is that you want to use the big screen for.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 12:15:19 PM »
For that price I might suggest getting a PS3 and then running PS3 media server
(works better and handles more codecs than WMP's media server)

It works great as a media server that can be linked to your main PC.
Or you can simply plug in an external USB drive to the PS3 and serve off that.

I do exactly that, but it's not perfect.  My PS3 and a PC runing TVersity server does a fine job of being a media server, but it won't handle every file type.  But this ps3mediaserver you link is interesting.  It claims that it will transcode MKV files on the fly.  Hmmm.  I may have to check that out.   Hmmm.  One more thing to add to my "check this out when I get home tonight" list, which is getting dauntingly large.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 05:55:40 PM »
I have a 46" in. LCD 1080p. The HDMI port on my laptop will transmit audio and video to the TV.

I haven't noticed any significant resolution problems, however the size of the tv probably compensates for any decreased resolution.

This is your opportunity to convince your wife to buy a new TV.  =D

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »
mtnbkr, as to using a tv as a monitor, if it has a dvi port(it might pay to try the d-sub, if it doesn't have the dvi [tinfoil]) you will have more leeway is setting up your screen and color profile, the color is way off on mine with the hdmi. :facepalm: oh and 720p is nowhere near high enough resolution for me. [tinfoil]
I do exactly that, but it's not perfect.  My PS3 and a PC runing TVersity server does a fine job of being a media server, but it won't handle every file type.  But this ps3mediaserver you link is interesting.  It claims that it will transcode MKV files on the fly.  Hmmm.  I may have to check that out.   Hmmm.  One more thing to add to my "check this out when I get home tonight" list, which is getting dauntingly large.
the transcoding is nice,(if your on cat5) you will need to set your ps3 to 100baseTX or 1000baseTX and full duplex(i think that's spelled right :angel:) it defaults to 10baseTX in half duplex. if your on wireless it lags like no ones business. =( i wonder if a 802.11n bridge would work. ???

it's network settings
custom
wired connection
manual settings
to change it, it really helps on downloads to. =D
speedtest.net is showing 16mbps to my ps3 right now. =D
and i'm pretty sure TVersity can do mkv, at the least i have had it working before. disabled it because i wasn't useing it enough to put up with the increased load times on my ps3. :-X
P.S. sorry if this didn't make any since. :facepalm:

edit: dropped an "on" and an "n" :facepalm:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:32 PM »
I run HDMI video from a laptop to a 42" plasma (720) for watching shows on HULU. The desktop looks a bit distorted, but I think that might have to do with the TV set at the wrong aspect ratio. The quality for watching tv shows is good, but I'm running sound from the earphone jack to a Y cable to the TV's audio input- the sound isn't all that great. Good enough for what I'm using it for I guess. I'd love to use the Plasma as a monitor for playing computer games, but I really don't want the mess of wires, keyboard, mouse etc in the family room.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 07:54:25 PM »
brimic,

Look into a wireless setup.  I'm sitting on my couch with my wireless mouse and keyboard typing this post.  I just have a basic Logitech setup (way under $50) and it works really well.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
Look into a wireless setup.  I'm sitting on my couch with my wireless mouse and keyboard typing this post.  I just have a basic Logitech setup (way under $50) and it works really well.
:facepalm:

I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Barack Obama

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 08:01:26 PM »
brimic,

:laugh: that dosn't happen very often.  =D you should be able to get audio through that hdmi cable. [tinfoil] dang it the adapters are HIGH, :facepalm: have you checked in the bios to see if it's a option? [tinfoil]

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 08:08:20 PM »
brimic, i just remembered a cable i have been meaning to buy, it's a d-sub with a 3.5 mm audio cable. =D does your laptop(and tv have the connectors to use it?) :angel:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 11:27:41 PM »
brimic, i just remembered a cable i have been meaning to buy, it's a d-sub with a 3.5 mm audio cable. grin does your laptop(and tv have the connectors to use it?)
Old TV that I have the Laptop hooked up to now: no.

New TV: Yes

----------------------------------------------------------

ou should be able to get audio through that hdmi cable.

Does the video and soud run through the same HDMI cable?

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
Oops my bad, I did a little searching on the subject and found that I'm using a S-video cable between laptop and TV.

Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »
Does the video and soud run through the same HDMI cable?

Normally it does, if everything is set up correctly at both ends.  HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 01:37:33 AM »
For whatever reason, I couldn't get sound working when I set up my dad's laptop to his 46" plasma through HDMI.  In defense of the equipment involved, I was pretty drunk, and instead ended up running a regular 1/16"th audio cable from the headphone jack on the laptop to one of the inputs on his receiver.

Picture looked great, and he loves watching Hulu on the big screen.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 07:59:24 AM »
I have a Dell mini with only HDMI out for video

I gather there is an HDMI to vga adaptor so I can hook to a teleconference or video projector

http://avcables.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=7051726

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/NP031AA%2523ABA?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 09:53:20 AM »
FWIW, I picked up an ASUS 23" 1080P computer monitor with built in speakers for less than the cost of a lesser 23" TV.  The image is excellent and the sound is pretty good considering the speakers are only 2watt.  I'm using the HDMI connection.  Sound was immediately piped through the HDMI without any need for me to make changes.  I'm happy. :)

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 10:05:09 AM »
One more question...

If I add a video expansion card (PCI Express slot) with HDMI output, can I still run the audio through that connection as well?  Is the MoBo/OS smart enough to pipe the audo through this new card and out the HDMI port?  Having both connections through one cable is a big plus to me.

Chris

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 12:28:29 PM »
Whether sound will come out of the HDMI is entirely dependent on the video card, rather than the O/S or MB. The video card essentially has to have a sound device on it that windows can discover, so you can set it as the active sound output. So long as the video card says it can pipe the sound out through the HDMI, you'll be good.