Author Topic: Suggestions for a new Laptop  (Read 550 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Suggestions for a new Laptop
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
Gonna Be looking for a new Laptop. Was wanting to get some suggestions, and of course find the lowest price available. It will be my main computer, used for work and play. Must be able to multi task excel and just about anything from MS Office. Big HD 320gb at least. Top of line processor or close to it.  17" screen.

Here is the most important part. It must be powerful enough for gaming as well. I'm a fan of some games. And I like to be able to play them with ease. My last / current Laptop has a ATI x1400 with memory on the card.

I haven't shopped for a new laptop in years. I've had good luck with my current Dell 9400. I looked at some of the Dell workstation Laptops. 8gb ram, 500gb hdd, video card with 1gb memory on it, 17"screen. Equals $3000, plus. Not gonna happen
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: Suggestions for a new Laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:28:10 AM »
Ok. Well I was hoping for some suggestions by now. But I'll be heading to Best Buy and looking if they have any "ready to go" that I have priced and customized online, Dell, Toshiba, Sony.,.,.. 

I have set a budget of $2500. This will have to last me a while. I may just spend the extra and get the Dell m6400 workstation laptop. It seems to fit my needs

Mods. Please close   
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:03:44 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Suggestions for a new Laptop
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:05:07 PM »
It's actually configurable with a faster processor, etc, but how about this:

ThinkPad W500 - 1 Year Depot Warranty      4058CTO      $1,499.00   
   Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9600 (2.8GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2)               
   Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Professional 32                  
   Operating system language: Genuine Windows 7 Professional 32 US English                  
   Display type: 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT, w/ CCFL Backlight                  
   System graphics: ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 (512MB VRAM)                  
   Total memory: 3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)                  
   Keyboard: Keyboard US English                   
   Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)                  
   Camera: Integrated Camera                  
   Hard drive: 320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm                  
   Intel® Turbo Memory hard drive cache: Intel Turbo Memory 2GB                  
   Optical device: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)                  
   Card Reader: 7 in 1 Media Card Reader                  
   System expansion slots: Express Card Slot & PC Card Slot                  
   Wireless Card: Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology                  
   Mobile Broadband: Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable                  
   Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion Battery                  
   Power cord: Country Pack North America with Line cord & 90W AC adapter                  
   Language pack: Language Pack US English for Windows 7                  
"It's good, though..."