Author Topic: My WECSOG-Fu is great  (Read 1107 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
My WECSOG-Fu is great
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:09:43 AM »
I free-floated the barrel/handguards on my AR last night.

Grounds for a awarding a black belt in WECSOG-Fu:
-Improvised an upper receiver vice.
-While I used a DPMS armorer's tool to remove the original barrel nut, I ended up having to use a strap wrench to install the Hogue barrel nut for my 2-piece freefloated handguard.
-I bought the Hogue freefloat handguard before realizing it had nowhere on it to install a sling swivel.  So, I took a piece of 5/16" all-thread, drilled a 9/64" hole horizontally through it large enough for an Uncle Mike's sling swivel, drilled a 5/16" hole through the bottom of the handguard and sandwiched it in place with some washers and nuts.

The results:

Before:

After:

Close-up of sling swivel:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: My WECSOG-Fu is great
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
thats really nice work.  i love it when that happens
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:33:57 PM »
and it doubles as an impact weapon!

uncle mikes makes a nice bolt on sling mount
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »
and it doubles as an impact weapon!

uncle mikes makes a nice bolt on sling mount

Linky?  Can't find it on their website.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »
Thanks, Harold.  I'll order one of those next time I need something from Brownells/Midway.  Although now I have a 5/16" hole through the handguard already. :lol:  Maybe I'll just see how the current solution holds up.  Prolly end up tackticalizing it by painting it black and giving it a "melt job."
--Lysander Spooner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »
Ah, the elusive redi-bolt action. Name your new gun store Red Green Tactical supply. Free hacksaw with every purchase.  =D

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »
Ah, the elusive redi-bolt action. Name your new gun store Red Green Tactical supply. Free hacksaw Dremel with every purchase.  =D

=D
Then again, with some people, a Dremel might as well be a rotary hacksaw.
Look, tiny text!

myrockfight

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »
You don't win unless it is stainless hardware.  =D