Author Topic: Fly Fishing in Alaska any advice???  (Read 4669 times)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Re: Fly Fishing in Alaska any advice???
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 09:50:29 AM »
We hope to be Silver Salmon fishing on the Copper River delta.

From what I have gathered y'all suggest an 8wt rod in at least 9ft length..

I have found a pretty decent qty. of choices.  

Cortland Outfit

Redington Crosswater Outfit

I also have found some cabela's and bass pro ones for $100-$130 that are 8 wt 9ft outfits.
I guess at my price range one is as good as another? (Cabelas wind River outfit is an example of low priced but meets specs)

Also Are most reels interchangeable for retrieve.  I am left handed and would prefer a left handed setup outfit but (I guess that's right retrieve?)

___

Sumpnz - I appreciate the offer however We are looking at 3 setups and honestly not sure if they would come back in as good shape as lent/rented out.  None of us are proficient at fly fishing.  Heck this is all early stages of planning too. The most fly fishing any of us has done is an entire day of drifting down the Kenai and having the guide show us rudamentary basics.  Thats what got me interested That was one of the best days fishing in my life.  Fly fishing takes alot of concentration and is so different...you can feel the tiniest fish fighting so much more than with a spincast
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:24:05 PM by J.J. »

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »
Every reel I own swings both ways (heh).  Just pull out all the line and rewind it as a lefty.  I did that mid river once trailing the line behind the boat in the current after I realized when I replaced my fly line the weekend before I did it left handed for some reason.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
I'm hesitant to tell you to spend that much money for a one time trip.  When you count in the other gear you really should have, you're going to be over $200+ just in fly gear.  You can get a good spinning outfit for $50.

That said, go with the Cableas.  Its probably just rebranded anyways.  I've got two Cableas branded setups that I love. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
The problem too with buying cheap fly gear like that is that if you hook into one fairly large and energetic fish you can completely trash the reel trying to land it.  The general rule of "you get what you pay for" applies to fly fishing gear just like everything else.  I'd be hesitant to use a reel cheap enough that it plus the rod was still under $150.  You can get away with budget rods much more easilly than with budget reels.  For a trip like that I'd be personally looking for at least $150 reels.  There's really no need to get into the $600+ reels, but under $100 and I'd be worried about them lasting through the trip.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »
Every reel I own swings both ways (heh).
:laugh:

Some reels you may have to disassemble (easy) and reverse a ring, but I'm not sure if any but the absolute cheapest don't let you swap retrieve. I'm left-handed as well, so swap retrieve on all my reels.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »
:laugh:

Some reels you may have to disassemble (easy) and reverse a ring, but I'm not sure if any but the absolute cheapest don't let you swap retrieve. I'm left-handed as well, so swap retrieve on all my reels.

Yep. I'm actually right handed, but I hold the rod in my right hand and reel with my left hand.  Had to do exactly what you describe to switch the action in my 3wt reel. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »
Yep. I'm actually right handed, but I hold the rod in my right hand and reel with my left hand.  Had to do exactly what you describe to switch the action in my 3wt reel. 

Doesn't everyone right handed do it that way?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 05:04:16 PM »
The problem too with buying cheap fly gear like that is that if you hook into one fairly large and energetic fish you can completely trash the reel trying to land it.  The general rule of "you get what you pay for" applies to fly fishing gear just like everything else.  I'd be hesitant to use a reel cheap enough that it plus the rod was still under $150.  You can get away with budget rods much more easilly than with budget reels.  For a trip like that I'd be personally looking for at least $150 reels.  There's really no need to get into the $600+ reels, but under $100 and I'd be worried about them lasting through the trip.

I thought you were supposed to play the fish with your hand on the line  ???

Anyway...

Keep his head up!

Get the gaff!  Get the gaff!

Keep his head up, you fool!

:O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 05:41:09 PM »
Doesn't everyone right handed do it that way?

Surprisingly, it seems alot of people don't, and instead crank with their strong hand.
JD

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 05:51:46 PM »
That said, go with the Cableas.  Its probably just rebranded anyways.  I've got two Cableas branded setups that I love. 

Is Sony guts.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »
I thought you were supposed to play the fish with your hand on the line  ???

That depends how big the fish is...  big difference between a brook trout and a king salmon!  :)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2010, 06:57:40 PM »
That depends how big the fish is...  big difference between a brook trout and a king salmon!  :)

Yep.  A big fish will use up all the slack line and then you're reeling to get the fish in. 

Plus, a really big fish can spool your line if the reel isn't up to the run.  I've talked to guys that have bent the arbors on their reels when they had one that was undersized and they tried to stop a run before getting spooled.
Formerly sumpnz

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »
O.K. Guys I am revisiting this thread because I need some advice.  I have narrowed it down to 2 choices for Fly Fishing equipment
I know they are not top of the line or even middle of the line products but this is to supplement spincasting so I am not gonna spend a ton...
Heck I could get the cheapest Cabelas Cahill outfit for $69 but want something a bit nicer...

I am thinking either this Cortland travel outfit or this Ross Worldwide Essence Outfit

The Ross setup doesn't have the case but I found a place with a sale for the rod and pre-spooled reel$99 so the case will bring it up to just under the cortlands price..

The differences as far as I can tell are Cortland has graphite frame and the Ross has all aluminum frame...

Advice or input?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »
As far as brands go, my impression is that, for the price, Ross is a better brand than Cortland.  Cortland, though, is certainly not bad. 

I've still got a St Croix rod and Cortland reel that was a package deal when I took a fly fishing class as the CC in Eugene, OR.  It's OK, but I'd like something nicer, especially for a reel.  No idea if the new Cortland reels are better than what I bought 14 years ago, though I would expect them to be.
Formerly sumpnz

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 11:33:59 AM »
Hey guys more fishing advice.  I have my Fly Outfit thanks to the advice of this thread.  Ended up buying a Ross Worldwide essence setup at super good deal ($100) So my fly fishing needs have been met.

HOWEVER My Spinning equipment just won't do. I pulled it out of storage and realized, well its crap.  Its good for the rivers around here and the little things in the rivers but anything bigger than a couple lb bass or a trout... nadda.

So I am wanting a nice heavier setup for not only my salmon trip but general use and some saltwater use.
I see cabelas has a great rod that is a 3 piece called the saltstriker costs $99.
7' in length
medium/fast action

I just don't know what line weight I would need. They offer 2 choices:

1st choice 8-15 weight line / Medium Power / .25 - .75 lure.
2nd choice 10-20 weight line / Medium Heavy Power / .25 - 1oz lure.

Since everything I know is really small lake or small fish river fishing What which would be the better choice a good all around Salmon fihsing and saltwater use rod...?  The Expertise is appriciated.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 02:41:35 PM »
The heavier line would be the better choice.  The balancing act is between capacity and strength.  The newer lines are thinner for the same strength and reduce the risk of the fish spooling you.

You can find heavy salmon combos up here that are more than sufficient in any store for not much money ($50).  No need to fly one up with you.  You can get an idea of the requirements and then buy "quality" if you decide you want to invest.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »
if you go for braided line, a pair of gloves(with or without fingers) is a really good idea. stuff cuts like a blade. :facepalm: