Author Topic: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?  (Read 71053 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?
« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
I cheerfully answered the door a few days ago for a JW. It's not my fault they rang while I was in the living room cleaning my grenade launcher. I simply carried it with me while answering the door, as is my habit (why leave something like that out of my control while answering a door?!)

The look was priceless. The stammered "God loves you" was even more priceless. Shortest JW visit I've ever had.

Seriously.   Warn people before you post stuff like this.  I'm cleaning coffee out of my sinuses (and off my monitor) as I try to type this.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2010, 11:46:37 AM »
I actually chased down the JWs a couple weeks back.

We were headed over to the corral in the suburban with our saddles to ride, and they were parked in front of our mailboxes.  Finally got them to move out of the way, and then they turned around and headed up our drive.  Not knowing who the heck it was I turned around too and followed them.

Not sure if they saw us or just chickened out at our rutted driveway (good reason not to grade it  :P ).  They backed out next to us and stopped and tried to give us some materials which I firmly refused.

That's only the second time they've tried to come to our place.  The first time about five or six years ago I met them on the front step open carrying.  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

PTK

• friends
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2010, 11:54:38 AM »
You're my hero.  :lol:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2010, 12:47:45 PM »
You are all going to be so sorry if it turns out the JWs are right and you would have been saved if you only listened to them. 

Myself, I am going to take a page from Homer Simpson, who when he thought he was about to die, blurted 'Jesus, Allah, Buddha, I love you all!'.  Now that is the sort of covering all your bases that appeals to me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2010, 12:59:13 PM »
I'm sorry, but I can't help but think of this every time I heard about JW's.  :laugh:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »
Harold Tuttle - I need a sign for my front door.  Should incorporate this:

WE LOVE MISSIONARIES

picture of enormous black pot simmering over an open fire

PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN VEGETABLES

I can pay cash (if you take Zimbabwe scrip).

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2010, 02:26:57 PM »
You are all going to be so sorry if it turns out the JWs are right and you would have been saved if you only listened to them. 

You mean there is a penalty for not participating  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2010, 09:13:12 PM »
Interesting side note.
They were at the local mall here in my town in VA this last weekend.  In force.  Handing out balloons, forms, stickers, etc etc.  There must have been 15-20 workers.  
Prince William county and Woodbridge, VA, are both very heavily Hispanic.  
It was almost like they were recruiting for people to support the census.
And, Obama is about to start pushing Immigration reform.

I believe in coincidence.  This doesn't smell like a coincidnce to me.
I don't think it's about immigration.  I think it's about gerrymandering.

Anything they can do to overcount minorities and suchlike, the better it is for them.  The more they can do to encourage participation from "get your fair share of other peoples money" types, the better it is for them.

And the more they can do discourage participation from those of us who view government as not-your-friend, the better it is for them.

Obamacare passed by 4 votes in the House.  Two seats switching the other way would have sunk it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:17:03 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »
I just got my Census form a few minutes ago and it doesn't resemble what's below at all.

You can see it online here.

Here's the 10 Big Brother questions:
1. How many people live here?
2. Are you sure that's all the folks that live here?
3. Do you live in a trailer, house or 'partment?
4. What's your Phone number, 'cause your handwriting might suck?
5. What are the folks who live here's names?
6. Boy or Girl?
7. How old are y'all?
8. Y'all Latino?
9. What are you then?
10. Do you sometimes stay somewhere else?  We don't need this twice.

It's a thick stapled book folded in half vertically.  On the cover is a "start here' spot for DOB, name, phone number and number of residents.
The next couple of pages has forms for two people each up to five, with six questions per section.
1.  Name
2.  How is this person related to person #1.
3.  Sex
4.  Age
5.  Hispanic, Latino or Spanish
6.  Race
After those pages is a section for persons 6 to 12 that only asks name age and sex, and then there's a few pages asking about housing, and then some very invasive questions about persons 1 through 5.  School history, health history, even marital and parental status. 
I'm wondering why it's so different from the form on page one...and I'm wondering how much of this I actually have to fill out.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2010, 02:17:26 PM »
Mabs, it sounds like you got the American Community Survey.

It's different from the census, and has different goals. The .gov website says your response is required by law, but some research might be warrented to see exactly what form that response can take.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »
Hmmm.

My FIL stands by his statement that it's not mandatory, however .gov's website is very clear that it is.  As are most of the Google hits and reports of being hounded by the .gov agents.

Is this the form they're demanding you fill out?  That does seem a little much.

I might roll the dice and see if they're really ready to go to court.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »
I had a feeling it was something different from the Census.  It does seem to be an American Community Survey.
There's a letter enclosed from a fellow named Robert M. Groves that says that I am required by law to fill this out.
"...results from this survey are used to decide where new schools, hospitals, and fire stations are needed.  This information also helps communities plan for the kinds of emergency situations that might affect you and your neighbors, such as floods and other natural disasters."
My race, gender, where I was born, when I started living here, when the last time I attended any kind of school, my highest grade completed, where I lived one year ago, what sort of health insurance I have, my marital status, whether or not I've served in the military, whether I worked for pay last week or not, where it was that I worked, how many people rode to work with me, what time I left to go to work, how long it took me to get home, whether I was laid off or absent last week, whether I've been looking for work, when I last worked, whether I worked more than 50 weeks, how many weeks I worked, how many hours per week I worked, what sort of job I have, who employs me, what kind of business is it, what kind of work was I doing, what my duties were, and what my income was has nothing to do with any of those reasons he gave me in the letter.
I find these questions extremely invasive.
Oh, and "Your response to both (the Census and the Community Survey) is required by law," is in bold on the letter.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:28:45 PM by Mabs »
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »
I got one of those five years ago...chucked it into the trash.

Census drones called and came to my house multiple times...finally gave up.

No fine ever came my way.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2010, 04:28:22 PM »
I got one of those five years ago...chucked it into the trash.

Census drones called and came to my house multiple times...finally gave up.

No fine ever came my way.

Sawdust
I really wouldn't have a problem writing down how many people live in the house but the Census already fulfills that purpose.
At least if they get pissy at me and I put down the occupants and maybe our ages I can at least say that I filled it out and returned it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
I really wouldn't have a problem writing down how many people live in the house but the Census already fulfills that purpose.
At least if they get pissy at me and I put down the occupants and maybe our ages I can at least say that I filled it out and returned it.

You can't fill it out if you "never got it"  ;)

The junk mail goes in the woodstove.  =)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »
Oh, heck!

Now this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/06/AR2010050605771.html

Computer glitches hamper 2010 Census

By Ed O'Keefe
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 7, 2010

Frequent glitches in the computer system built to manage the 2010 Census could jeopardize its accuracy and drive up costs beyond its $15 billion price tag, according to a new watchdog report.

The findings by the Commerce Department's inspector general come as roughly 600,000 census takers fan out nationwide to visit about 48 million addresses where nobody mailed back a census form.

The quarterly progress report found that problems persist with the agency's paper-based operations-control system, a computer program developed to manage data collected by census takers. Several local Census Bureau offices are experiencing outages of several hours to entire days, the report said.

Those delays contributed to $1.6 million in clerical overtime costs in the first quarter, and the cost will probably rise in the next two months as census takers complete their work, the report said.

Because of computer delays, local census offices also could misplace completed paper questionnaires that are waiting to be processed.

"Questionnaires can be misplaced, for example, by storing them with questionnaires that have already been checked in," the report said. If those forms are not processed, "the persons identified in the questionnaires may not be counted."

The report reinforces concerns raised last week by the Government Accountability Office during a congressional hearing on census operations.

The Census Bureau developed the computer system in 2008 after scrapping plans to use handheld computers built for the agency. The decision left little time to develop the software, and officials have since said the system probably poses the most risk to census operations.

"As we have publicly disclosed to Congress, our oversight agencies and the press, the operational control system is not optimal, and remains a risk," Census Bureau spokesman Stephen Buckner said in an e-mail. "However we do not foresee cost overruns of the type speculated upon in this report."

Census Director Robert M. Groves has vowed to keep census operations under budget in hopes of returning funds to the Treasury. But he acknowledged potential operational issues this week in a blog post written to his 600,000 new hires.

"Nothing as large as the decennial census can be trouble-free," Groves said. "Despite the years of development, things will go wrong."

So after hounding me about both forms I returned to them instead of just picking one to send back, and threats of being invaded by GPS-equipped thugs demanding to look up my skirts to see what race I might be, they tell me that even if they had all the right answers they could not figure it out anyhow?

So why are we going through this thing again?  I mean besides finding out how many congresscritters per hundred thousand serfs are needed to ignore the wishes and desires of the electorate?

stay safe.

skidmark

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2010, 11:06:51 PM »
I think VAS deserves his very own internetz for this one:

I mean besides finding out how many congresscritters per hundred thousand serfs are needed to ignore the wishes and desires of the electorate?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)