Author Topic: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?  (Read 71055 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »
You realise that the Census helps determine how much representation you get in the House, and how a lot of tax money is spent and allocated, right?  It's also one of the few things our federal government does that it's directly mandated to do by the constitution (Article 1, Section 2 iirc)

This administration actually did away with the long form of the census.  To give you an idea of what the long form was under Bill Clinton, check this out:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:S979SWnLKEEJ:www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/d-61b.pdf+long+form+census&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj5iu-p6dCboAxvy78dhdbPm_TGXdeD-eDRs30r4CzEFc707daTcDMyqO5NkO7FRMrV_B-F6DrM8tez71bT_AkOmVEkVSum_dM-bX4-L1Vqqn95QRHU0eMmmxjclfIK7vnNVCdx&sig=AHIEtbRDp1znmZ9tuIVVdU78Gqqz0b-7Pw

Here's the ACTUAL text of the 2010 census questions for reference:
Personally, I don't have a problem with it.  There's far more information about me that the government gets, by law, that I have a far worse problem with than this.

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/ACS-1(info)(2010)%20Stateside%20English_web.pdf

I'm betting this is what people have a problem with. That's information I don't think the government should have and, if I get this form, will not provide.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 03:39:20 PM »
Mak, that one's voluntary do or don't as you see fit.

Personally I wouldn't either, it's pretty invasive.

I'd bet, however, that DU folks are scouring dumpsters for these thing so they can fill them out and send them in.  There's a scary thought for you.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 05:54:14 PM »

I'd bet, however, that DU folks are scouring dumpsters for these thing so they can fill them out and send them in.  There's a scary thought for you.

Wood burning stoves are handy ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 07:16:32 PM »

Thgat's why you provide your phone number, in case some very helpful individual attempts to send in a form with your address in it more than once.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 09:37:17 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
9. What are you then?
65% oxygen
18% carbon
10% hydrogen
3% nitrogen
1.5% calcium
1.2% phosphorous
0.2% potassium
0.2% sulfer
0.2% chlorine
0.1% sodium
0.05% magnesium
3.8g iron
less than 0.05% each cobalt, copper, zinc, and iodine
less than 0.01% each selenium and flourine
(all percentages are by mass)

Seems like a bad idea, unless you want to get shipped off to a chemistry lab, killed, then your remains analyzed.

Seriously, 10 questions?  I was getting all prepared for a 2 minute hate and there's barely enough for a 30 second hate.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
We just got our letter in the mail notifying us that we will be getting the census next week and that we should fill it out and send it back as quickly as possible.

Ahh .gov wastes more money notifying me that they are sending something to me next week.   ;/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 09:47:21 PM »
We just got our letter in the mail notifying us that we will be getting the census next week and that we should fill it out and send it back as quickly as possible.

Ahh .gov wastes more money notifying me that they are sending something to me next week.   ;/

Hey, that's the way we roll...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »

Whoa!  Seems to me like the dot.gov/census is getting way ahead of itself  =|

They should have sent you a letter telling you that they will be sending you a letter telling you that you will be getting the census next week and that you should fill it out and send it back as quickly as possible.  ;)

There they go - cutting corners again  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 11:08:10 AM »
I will answer the number of humans who reside at my address.

I will also answer Question 9 as follows:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NDAzNTgyZTM4NGRiMzUxNDk2MzljMDBlMDdlYTQxMzU=

Sending a Message with the Census   [Mark Krikorian]

John: I haven't gotten my letter from the Census Bureau yet asking me to make sure I fill out the questionnaire. But when I do fill it out, I'll use it to send a message.

Fully one-quarter of the space on this year's form is taken up with questions of race and ethnicity, which are clearly illegitimate and none of the government's business (despite the New York Times' assurances to the contrary on today's editorial page). So until we succeed in building the needed wall of separation between race and state, I have a proposal. Question 9 on the census form asks "What is Person 1's race?" (and so on, for other members of the household). My initial impulse was simply to misidentify my race so as to throw a monkey wrench into the statistics; I had fun doing this on the personal-information form my college required every semester, where I was a Puerto Rican Muslim one semester, and a Samoan Buddhist the next. But lying in this constitutionally mandated process is wrong. Really — don't do it.

Instead, we should answer Question 9 by checking the last option — "Some other race" — and writing in "American." It's a truthful answer but at the same time is a way for ordinary citizens to express their rejection of unconstitutional racial classification schemes. In fact, "American" was the plurality ancestry selection for respondents to the 2000 census in four states and several hundred counties.

So remember: Question 9 — "Some other race" — "American". Pass it on.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »

I just got mine.

Once I get the census, I'm seriously considering sending them a letter telling them to expect the census from me in about a week. 

I know I'm just waisting my own time, but it's funny to me.  :lol:

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »

There's actually a good reason for this.  The Dillman Survey Design method is a well researched method for doing these types of things: http://www.amazon.com/Mail-Telephone-Surveys-Design-Method/dp/0471215554

It's been researched and usually provides an 80% response rate to telephone/mail surveys.  The method includes a pre-notice letter.  It's one of those things that sounds like a waste until you study the methodologies involved.

EDIT:  Read this for a quick rundown on what the Dillman method is and how it works.  here is a study on it that I quickly found via google.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »
Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?

Asked since 1970. The data collected in this question are needed by federal agencies to monitor compliance with anti-discrimination provisions, such as under the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. State and local governments may use the data to help plan and administer bilingual programs for people of Hispanic origin.
Government ought not be doing this in the first place. Since they are, I see this as an excellent opportunity for downsizing the bureaucracy.

What is Person 1's race?

Asked since 1790. Race is key to implementing many federal laws and is needed to monitor compliance with the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. State governments use the data to determine congressional, state and local voting districts. Race data are also used to assess fairness of employment practices, to monitor racial disparities in characteristics such as health and education and to plan and obtain funds for public services.
Government ought not be doing this, either. Either a person is an American . . . or they're not. Subdividing Americans on criteria such as skin color is odious. The only race that matters is the HUMAN race.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 12:26:01 PM »
Samsonite is my favorite race question answer.

So since I am Dark European, Native American and Hebrew what do I choose for a race?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
Samsonite is my favorite race question answer.

So since I am Dark European, Native American and Hebrew what do I choose for a race?

Black Latino Female Pacific Islander of Native Alaskan origin with multiple physical, cognitive and emotional disabilities who is a self-employed FMBO (Female Minority Business Owner) unmarried single parent head of household POOSSLQ (Person Of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters).

That ought to cover the spread.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 01:15:15 PM »
Black Latino Female Pacific Islander of Native Alaskan origin with multiple physical, cognitive and emotional disabilities who is a self-employed FMBO (Female Minority Business Owner) unmarried single parent head of household POOSSLQ (Person Of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters).

That ought to cover the spread.

stay safe.

skidmark

I thought you were a dude.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »
I thought you were a dude.

I am.  But why should that stop me from recommending a response for you to use.  Let the .feds figure it out.

Remember, you can be anything you put your mind to.  Even President of the USA. [barf]

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 04:33:37 AM »
After reading up on exactly what questions there were on the census, including name/age/race/etc., I came across this gem from "Census.gov" (specifically, http://2010.census.gov/partners/pdf/ConstituentFAQ.pdf)

32. Is information shared with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Internal Revenue Service, courts, or the police?

No, individual census records are not shared with anyone, including government agencies or private organizations. It is against the law for the Census Bureau to give personally identifiable information about an individual to any other individual or agency until 72 years after it is collected for the decennial census. After 72 years, the individual census records are sent to the National Archives where they are made public primarily for genealogical research.

My B.S. alarm went off pretty hard. Thoughts?
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 05:10:18 AM »
Government ought not be doing this, either. Either a person is an American . . . or they're not. Subdividing Americans on criteria such as skin color is odious. The only race that matters is the HUMAN race.
The drawing up of congressional and other districts is very important to the preservation of your party as the majority party. Various minorities favor republicans or democrats heavily. By manipulating the district lines, you can minimize the power of these minorities, or increase them.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 05:28:48 AM »
After reading up on exactly what questions there were on the census, including name/age/race/etc., I came across this gem from "Census.gov" (specifically, http://2010.census.gov/partners/pdf/ConstituentFAQ.pdf)

32. Is information shared with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Internal Revenue Service, courts, or the police?

No, individual census records are not shared with anyone, including government agencies or private organizations. It is against the law for the Census Bureau to give personally identifiable information about an individual to any other individual or agency until 72 years after it is collected for the decennial census. After 72 years, the individual census records are sent to the National Archives where they are made public primarily for genealogical research.

My B.S. alarm went off pretty hard. Thoughts?

Heh, wasn't that pretty much my exact same response to you? I'd say this claim reeks heavily of shenanigans.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 08:50:43 AM »
Welcome to APS, kgbsquirrel.  Are you actually a squirrel that worked in the KGB?  :lol:

If you haven't yet, please take a sec to review the rules stickied at the top of this forum.  (No, you haven't broken any.  =)  But, Ignorantia juris non excusat!)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 10:53:17 AM »
Ignorantia juris non excusat

Cha robh fios agam  =|

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
9. What are you then?
65% oxygen
18% carbon
10% hydrogen
3% nitrogen
1.5% calcium
1.2% phosphorous
0.2% potassium
0.2% sulfer
0.2% chlorine
0.1% sodium
0.05% magnesium
3.8g iron
less than 0.05% each cobalt, copper, zinc, and iodine
less than 0.01% each selenium and flourine
(all percentages are by mass)

LMAO!  :laugh:   

Personally, my wife and I are going to fill ours out accurately in an easy-to-read manner and promptly send ours back.  I haven't any issues with the questions they're asking and it's sure as heck nothing new. 
Now, if there comes a day where there are new questions such as about my firearms, religion, political standing and the like, then they can stick it.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 07:30:52 AM »
I just don't much like answering questions like these. I suppose I'm just weird, but... if they wanted to know where I am, who I am, etc., they already know. It's not that. I just don't like answering things like that. I don't know how to put it into words correctly.  =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
I just don't much like answering questions like these. I suppose I'm just weird, but... if they wanted to know where I am, who I am, etc., they already know. It's not that. I just don't like answering things like that. I don't know how to put it into words correctly.  =|

Agree.   ;)

If you don't want to register your guns, why would you want to register yourself?

The age of computer databases makes it worse.  Back in 1850, you couldn't just type in my great grandaddy "Pine's" name and come up with address and GPS coordinates in 10 seconds.  It's handy now to do geneological research, but I don't see that purpose mentioned in the Constitution.

And yes they could find out who I am through other means like the county tax records.  In fact, they could do the entire census through research and statistical analysis, cheaper and probably more accurately.

Besides, I'm guessing that they're still going to miss some sheepherders, and some folks living in RVs full time with only a PMB for an address (not a bad idea, actually... ;) ).

I told the guy truthfully that no one lives in the houses behind us, that it's just a hunting camp.  He took my word for it, but there could be a horde of aliens from Vega living up there for all anyone knows  =D

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »
And yes they could find out who I am through other means like the county tax records.  In fact, they could do the entire census through research and statistical analysis, cheaper and probably more accurately.

And the argument against that is that it would not be constitutional.