Author Topic: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?  (Read 71048 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2010, 12:42:06 PM »
Samsonite is my favorite race question answer.

So since I am Dark European, Native American and Hebrew what do I choose for a race?

i like to go with "Amirimutt". =D it gets some strange looks. [popcorn]

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »
>but there could be a horde of aliens from Vega living up there for all anyone knows<

Nah... I couldn't see you giving shelter to Vegans...  >:D
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »
We had a woman from the census show up at our door last year asking for information about one of our (long-standing) tenants in a rental property we own across town.  They had dropped something at her door and never got it back, and never could catch her at home when they stopped by the apartment.  The woman at my door was asking me if my tenant still lived at our rental property.

I wasn't cooperative.  She left.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »
And the argument against that is that it would not be constitutional.

"enumeration ... in such manner as they shall by law direct."

Could you enlighten me?  I see no impediment to an "enumeration" compiled from existing data.   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

PTK

• friends
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2010, 07:45:42 PM »
I predict widespread (attempts) at fining all the uncooperative residents of MT.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2010, 08:49:52 PM »
I predict widespread (attempts) at fining all the uncooperative residents of MT.  =D

They can't fine me because they don't know who I am  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
Shall we start demanding bribes from Tallpine to not tell the census bureau who he is?   >:D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2010, 11:10:14 PM »
They can't fine me because they don't know who I am  :P

I assumed they could fairly easily levy a fine against a whole household, to be paid "or else". Now that you mention it....  :lol:

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2010, 11:16:47 PM »

Could you enlighten me?  I see no impediment to an "enumeration" compiled from existing data.   =|

Nope.  I have no dog in this fight, and only know that I have read and heard in various media outlets--probably the NYT and NPR, that there is a widely recognized constitutional problem with not doing an actual count. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »
Nope.  I have no dog in this fight, and only know that I have read and heard in various media outlets--probably the NYT and NPR, that there is a widely recognized constitutional problem with not doing an actual count. 

With sources like that, who can argue ?   =D

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »
With sources like that, who can argue ?   =D

Note that that prefaced by the statement that I can't back it up.  The NYT is because my parents, for reasons beyond my understanding, for they are dyed-in-the-wool dittoheads, have subscribed to it for decades, and I read it from time to time for nostalgia's sake.  The NPR is because they are a better car companion than music station DJs and ads. 

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2010, 10:10:04 PM »
Talked to a Lady in town today who said the Census workers are scared to come out to our neck of the woods.  Too bad I guess.  I have seen their bags hanging all over the place here and where our cabin is, at residences where either no one lives, or they are only occasional and seasonal residences.

We took a drive down the dirt road we have our place off of and ended up on a paved road 20 miles away.  There are so many dirt track driveways off of that, there is no way they can find all the folks bunkered down out here.  And yes, I do mean bunkered down.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2010, 12:19:20 PM »
And I'm confused ... do I count all of my personalities ?   :laugh:

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2010, 12:31:14 PM »
And I'm confused ... do I count all of my personalities ?   :laugh:

Only the ones that are currently talking to you or the ones that want .gov assistance.   =D
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2010, 01:06:58 PM »
We took a drive down the dirt road we have our place off of and ended up on a paved road 20 miles away.  There are so many dirt track driveways off of that, there is no way they can find all the folks bunkered down out here.  And yes, I do mean bunkered down.
Well, there are worse neighbors than Burt Gummer . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CriticalHit

• Natural Twenty
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »

Utah v. Evans, 536 U.S. 452 (2002), was the most recent U.S. Supreme Court case (that I know of) regarding the use of some statistical techniques rather than a straight head-count in the census. In a nutshell, the census used some sampling tomfoolery and Utah got hosed out of a congressional seat... but SCotUS said that the particular method(s) used were kosher.

But that's where I'd start a hunt for what methods are okay or not.
Show me something that beats a natural twenty and I'll show you hateful lies!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
Well, it arrived. Answers: "02", Person 1 "American", Person 2 "American", the rest was left blank. I have to draw a line somewhere with the Feds, and I (along with many others) have found questions regarding race, name, age, etc., to simply be over that line.

Here's hoping I don't get a fine, but, as Tallpine pointed out - prove it was me.  =D

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2010, 07:31:31 PM »
to each his own
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2010, 08:56:47 PM »
I just had my tinfoil hat thought of the day..  if I were to lick the envelope to seal it, did I just give the feds a DNA sample?   [tinfoil]      =D

PTK

• friends
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »
I just had my tinfoil hat thought of the day..  if I were to lick the envelope to seal it, did I just give the feds a DNA sample?   [tinfoil]      =D

Hah, I ended up using gloves to handle it, filled it out with a new pen that was then thrown away, and used a gloved finger to get water from the tap...  ;)

darius

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2010, 09:04:55 PM »
We were away from our camp for most of a day and came home to find someone from the Census Bureau had come past our KEEP OUT sign way down at the road, walked up onto our porch, and stuck a plastic bag saying 2010 Census under the door handle.  Huh?  Since when are they allowed to trespass on private property?

Since we don't live here, using it only occasionally as the mood strikes, I have no intention of seeing what is in the bag.  I think it might have fallen into the burn barrel, but I don't know that for sure.

What questions are you legally required to answer?  I don't recall ever getting any census stuff before this so I really don't know.
You are required by law to respond to the census questionnaire and the implication is that a census worker has the right to come on your property to deliver the questionnaire.  At least that is my understanding of the law.

If you don't send it back in then someone will come looking for it.

darius

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »
They dropped off a census form at our occasionally used lakehouse last time around. Ignoring it brought no penalties. I'm certain that you would be safe treating your occasionally used property as same?

And we will be giving our standard answer of "4 adults and 1 child live here. Now go away." this year.

The tax assessor can slither all over your property, too. Came home one day to find a Jeep Cherokee one day with a County Tax Office sign on it. Caught him 'round back with a tape measure. I never knew they did that until that day.

Part of the criteria for leaving a questionnaire is whether or not the structure is fit to be used as a living quarters. Even cars can be considered to be a living quarter. The Obama people are especially interested in minorities and the homeless and I learned this from being in classes.  Once anyone opens their questionnaire it should be patently obvious where the emphasis lies.

I think it is to ones advantage to be counted because federal money is apportioned based on head count in a region.  It is not that I am big on handouts but if I help pay it in then I want some back.

darius

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
i like to go with "Amirimutt". =D it gets some strange looks. [popcorn]
It is quite obvious that is you are white then you are last choice for the gubmint.   [barf]

darius

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »
http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/ACS-1(info)(2010)%20Stateside%20English_web.pdf

I'm betting this is what people have a problem with. That's information I don't think the government should have and, if I get this form, will not provide.
That is not part of the main census effort coming up and it replaced in part the long form we used 10 years ago.  Don't kid yourself, much of the info on the form is public knowledge, particularly if you are a public employee.  Your property records are open to census workers.

darius

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »
Hey, that's the way we roll...
Yeh, it's called stimulus spending.   ;/