Author Topic: duracell killed my flashlight, AND BOUGHT IT!  (Read 6869 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: duracell killed my flashlight
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »
Yes, and the $200 is worth it. Inconel is a PITA to work though... 718 tears up my bits unless everything is perfect.

Low drill speed, cobalt bits, moderately heavy pressure, and lube. Much like stainless, if the bit turns without pulling a chip, it's over. I love welding inconel, behaves nicely.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »
this flashlight is used on a regular basis for little things (like above), and has shown no sign of the batteries getting old. i always thought that as long as they were charged there shouldn't be any corrosion.  am i wrong?

Depends on the batteries.  I keep Energizer E2 lithium batteries in my Fenix LD20, and never have a problem.  Since it sees daily use, (night shift security) and the $5-a-pair batteries last about 3-4 months, I figure it's worth the extra cost.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 05:57:08 AM »
Most of the problems I've had with battery corrosion have been with Duracells. Even the cheap-o Ray-o-Vacs and Dollar General batteries don't corrode like Duracells.

I just avoid them....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 08:15:39 AM »
The largest I've seen used is on a single-shot 30-06, 6D cell. The 4D cell are good for .45acp, 9x19, etc., while the 2C are good for overbuild .22lr and similar. The 6D can be cut down as needed, usually to make a reflex style silencer for a pistol carbine (as I'll be doing with my Hi-Point) to reduce overall length but allow for a large expansion chamber and still have loads of baffles.

Hmmmm. I have a dead Maglight, some spare billet aluminum, and a TIG in my garage.  This could be a decent project.  Is there any black magic to the baffle design, and would you use Al there too, or go to steel?
Is there some kinda of online how-to for this?

(I wonder if a dead maglight and a welder constitutes Constructive Possesion now [tinfoil])

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 09:23:35 AM »
There's a DIY forum at http://www.silencertests.com/

or, at least there was. I can't open the link from work due to a filter.  =|

crt360

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 09:37:42 AM »
I have had numerous Energizers leak and corrode stuff, including several mini mag lights.  One was so bad that I actually ripped the tube in half trying to get the tailcap off.  I never had a Duracell leak in anything until recently.  I can't even remember what it was in.  Maybe a radio.
For entertainment purposes only.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »
i just got off the phone with duracell, and they are sending me a check for $50.41!  holy cow!  they asked me a few questions and said i should receive it in a few weeks. good to see a company that will stand behind their product.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: duracell killed my flashlight, AND BOUGHT IT!
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 10:25:26 AM »
I had an AA leak and corrode in the little Gerber Infinity I keep in my BDU pocket organizer of handy things. Couldn't even figure out what brand it was that was in there, the plastic wrap around the battery was a uniform shade of gray. I got the battery out, and aside from the junk stuck to the inside of the barrel, it looks to be okay.

My dad ruined a Maglight I had gotten him for his birthday years ago when Maglites were still a "big deal".

Of course, he was working on the stove and had forgotten it in there for over a year.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 01:52:57 PM »
One of these days, I really need to try making a suppressor. The $200 in paperwork is a real buzzkill, though. 
Have to agree with that . . . but I'll wager a stay in Club Fed is even more of a buzzkill.  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

PTK

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »
Hmmmm. I have a dead Maglight, some spare billet aluminum, and a TIG in my garage.  This could be a decent project.  Is there any black magic to the baffle design, and would you use Al there too, or go to steel?
Is there some kinda of online how-to for this?

(I wonder if a dead maglight and a welder constitutes Constructive Possesion now [tinfoil])

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php

Also, silencer for WHAT? Baffle design depends on what you'll be silencing in what caliber.  =)

Have to agree with that . . . but I'll wager a stay in Club Fed is even more of a buzzkill.  :O

A-yup. Especially when $200 really isn't that big of a deal nowadays.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 03:35:27 PM »
Also, silencer for WHAT? Baffle design depends on what you'll be silencing in what caliber.  =)

That's the problem.  I fear if I start down this dark path the answer will be: everything.

If that happens do I blame you or Fistful?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »
Blame me. I'm responsible for a few dozen friends getting NFA items now.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »
If I could get a suppressor in Michigan I'd probably already have one.
Look, tiny text!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2010, 12:58:02 AM »
My dad ruined a Maglight I had gotten him for his birthday years ago when Maglites were still a "big deal".

Of course, he was working on the stove and had forgotten it in there for over a year.  :laugh:

Should still be plenty left to get it converted to a Borealis: http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

AFAIK, the only parts that are reused from the donor light are the solid aluminum ones.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2010, 01:52:30 AM »
I've got a light by Black Bear, it rocks. Need to replace the rechargeables, they are kind of done.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AcePain

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 01:39:15 AM »
Rinse the housing out with a mixture of baking soda and water on a swab of some sort. This will remove all the corrosion, leaving it clean and useable even though the metal will be a bit pitted.

Can't hurt to give it a try.

Warhorse

I absolutely agree with you Warhorse. Just like what I did my flashlight. This is I think the only solution to your problem, you much be better to try this recommendation.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 12:44:56 PM »
well, i received a check for $50 from a company called p&g (formerly procter and gamble?) as well as a $3.00 off coupon for my next duracell purchase.  to save money they sent it in two seperate envelopes. would it be considered insurance fraud if i were to purchase a different kind of light?  i do like the large light on the nightstand.  have to give it a little thought.  appreciate the thoughts and ideas.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »
OT, but I REALLY wish Maglite still made their 6-C cell model. Then I'd put a 2-cell LED drop-in into it, and then have the two cells at the tail cap end for weight, and then a lightweight wooden dowel or piece of PVC pipe the length of four more C-cells as a spacer with a conductive wire and contacts bridging the ends.

=D Flashlight project code-name Shillelagh.
I promise not to duck.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
How about filling the rest up with some lead?  >:D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 05:46:57 PM »
OT, but I REALLY wish Maglite still made their 6-C cell model. Then I'd put a 2-cell LED drop-in into it, and then have the two cells at the tail cap end for weight, and then a lightweight wooden dowel or piece of PVC pipe the length of four more C-cells as a spacer with a conductive wire and contacts bridging the ends.

=D Flashlight project code-name Shillelagh.

I've actually thought of doing this for realz. Can't carry a gun at work, Seattle says my Civilian is too long  ;/, and I'm not old enough to get away with using a T-handle cane.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2010, 07:22:25 PM »
I think the construction is lacking in recent years. Earlier this week, a smoke detector started the low battery chirp.

I grab a spare AC/Delco 9 volt from the blue plastic battery holder I got last fall. One post was corroded. The expiration date was 2014. Unreal.

I've also found dead batteries that still had 2+ years before expiration. Check your batteries with a digital voltmeter. You may be surprised as I was when the flashlight didn't work with brand new batteries in it.

I had a D cell Maglite that had a battery corrode in the tube. I rinsed/scrubbed it out with water and baking soda on a scrubbie pad. It works fine now, but I was shocked to see Duracell batteries go bad and leak way before they expired. Check rarely used flashlights often for these problems.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 01:54:39 AM »
and shortwave radios :facepalm: (just a receiver, i don't like to talk enough to take the test much less pay =D)

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 07:56:43 PM »
i don't like to talk enough to take the test much less pay

$14 for ten years.  Find a better value anywhere.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »
that include your gear? [popcorn] and keeping quite =D