Author Topic: This is the new cool?  (Read 7692 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
This is the new cool?
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:01:07 PM »
I've been seeing these hats on guys the last couple of months (minus the fuzzy balls):

At first I though the guy was a homeless bum, but after seeing more of the hats, I realized they must be cool (or whatever term is being used this week).

What the hell is going on? This looks like the McKenzie brothers. It looks like something that a character in "Fargo" might wear. This is cool?

Who's driving fashion these days?

Regolith

• friend
Re: This is the new cool?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:05:19 PM »
Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:12:47 PM »
I think it's rather cunning.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »
I can only assume Macrame (sp) has become a fad again?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Inor

• Just this guy
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:14:58 PM »
Hmm.  In Minnesota, where I live, folks have worn hats like these (minus the fuzzy balls) all my life.   =D

Of course, we are next to the Canadian border.  And the movie Fargo was a spoof on Minnesota not North Dakota...   =D

Oh well, I guess I'll just go clean out my wood chipper.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:18:54 PM »
I've had one of those since winter 2006. 

In orange, minus the fuzzy balls on the end.  I call it my Jayne hat.

Matches my three season shell and 4th Doctor scarf quite well.

Jelly Baby?

=D
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:20:28 PM »
What the hell is going on? This looks like the McKenzie brothers. It looks like something that a character in "Fargo" might wear. This is cool?

Good enough for the hero of Canton. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:27:27 PM »
Hmm.  In Minnesota, where I live, folks have worn hats like these (minus the fuzzy balls) all my life.

It's a bit different when they're in Texas, where we have to go dig out the coats for a couple months every year, then lose them again.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:28:44 PM »
The guys wearing these aren't doing so to keep warm. I saw a gangstah type today at the gym with one on, and he wore it the whole time. Looked silly as all hell.

The younger members of the forum have made fun of the 1960's, and the long hair, bell bottoms, etc. But if anyone had told me back then that in 40 years it would be fashionable to wear a knit hat with ear flaps, have baggy pants hanging down so folks can see the underwear and the crack in the butt, be covered in tattoos, have the head shaved, and all sorts of places in the body pierced, I would have had the person making the prediction locked away in a rubber room.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:39:14 PM »
looks like something for there spazed out other to play with. kinda like a cat with a ball of yarn. :angel: [popcorn]

Inor

• Just this guy
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »
The younger members of the forum have made fun of the 1960's, and the long hair, bell bottoms, etc. But if anyone had told me back then that in 40 years it would be fashionable to wear a knit hat with ear flaps, have baggy pants hanging down so folks can see the underwear and the crack in the butt, be covered in tattoos, have the head shaved, and all sorts of places in the body pierced, I would have had the person making the prediction locked away in a rubber room.

Ha ha ha!  Indeed sir.

It reminds me of a P.J O'Rourke quote: "A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat."  - Unless it is a cowboy hat of course.

Mrs. Inor

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 11:46:52 PM »
Yes - but if I had saved all the crap I wore in the sixties - I could have saved a mint in buying clothes for my daughters.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 11:56:50 PM »
That kind of hat comes from Peru, Chile, the Andes mountain region, where wearing it here stateside had some sort of .alt/Kerouac/vagabond/hippie cred. (Also associated with hacky-sack/stoners on college campuses) Then it made the leap to other fashionable subcultures. Snowboarders etc.

Mainly the "I'm so cool I can pull this off" incongruity thing. Went from there.

And all the other references are to Adam Baldwin's character on the short-lived but very popular sci-fi show "Firefly", a.k.a. "The hat of cunning". He and the show are popular amongst geek/sci-fi/libertarian/gun-nut subcultures as well.

http://ficml.org/jemimap/ff/cunning/

Sorry to lay it out so plainly for Monkeyleg, but we must show respect to our elders.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 12:57:09 AM »
Sorry to lay it out so plainly for Monkeyleg, but we must show respect to our elders.

One of perks of being old is being able to advise a young person to not be photographed "looking like that," as it will haunt the person later on. One of the liabilities of being young is being too haughty to listen, and having to endure the laughter years later when the photos are unearthed.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 12:58:02 AM »
Clearly they are merely imitating greatness:
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 01:35:27 AM »
Clearly they are merely imitating greatness:

I'M GAY!

lol!!! FTW! =D

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 01:47:07 AM »

Matches my three season shell and 4th Doctor scarf quite well.

=D

Allons-y!

(yes, I realize my quote is actually tenth doctor, but I am a bit short of 4th doctor quotes at the moment...)
Hi.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 03:07:33 AM »
What's with distinctive cold weather gear and sci-fi?  (And who let these Doc Who fans in here?  Creepy.)   :P

Oh, and Monkeyleg, the new cool is spelled f-i-s-t-f-u-l.  [walks away into own private dreamland]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:11:56 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 03:20:21 AM »
I've been seeing these hats on guys the last couple of months (minus the fuzzy balls):

Saw a guy wearing a solid white model recently. Looks quite a bit like a pith helmet when viewed via the corner of your eye. Practical item for colder weather.

Oh, and Monkeyleg, the new cool is spelled f-i-s-t-f-u-l.  [walks away into own private dreamland]
It is spelled Z-a-r-d-o-z.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »
What's with distinctive cold weather gear and sci-fi?  (And who let these Doc Who fans in here?  Creepy.)   :P

Space is cold.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 09:51:43 AM »
"Cool" is just another way of saying "Not so hot."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 10:19:57 AM »
Well honestly, since space is a vacuum, getting rid of your waste heat is usually the problem. Hence half the "panels" on things like the ISS are actually radiators.

If "cold" in space is a problem, you've got really bad problems, like no power.
I promise not to duck.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 10:28:23 AM »
It been many many years so I may be wrong but didn't Spicoli wear one of those in Fast Times at Ridgemont High?  ;)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »
When I was younger, anyone wearing that hat would have been a super-dork.

Also, isn't the Zardoz photo a violation of APS rules now?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »
I had a hat like that in college in the mid 1990's, seems like they are still around.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536