Author Topic: Interesting, the curves life hands you...  (Read 13967 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Interesting, the curves life hands you...
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:57:07 AM »
There's been a lot going on in my life lately and I've come to an epiphany.  No, it's not job related, and it has nothing to do with marriage, religion, or sexual orientation (get your minds out of the gutter you Bastiges =D ).  Let's just say that sometimes you get hit between the eyes with a truth so obvious you can't believe you've missed it for so long.

I've discovered my calling, my reason for being put on this earth.  It doesn't involve a huge life swing, a change of profession, or even a change of address for that matter.  But it does involve a realization that everything I've done, everything I've been, everything I've dealth with in my life was nothing more or less than training.  A trial by fire, if you will.  A distillation of my instincts, my drive, and my basic motivations into a single purpose.  After a couple of days and nights sitting up thinking I know what that purpose is.  It is so simple, really.  Life-changing, but so very simple.

I'm not going to say anything here as I'm pretty sure others involved read this forum too.  Let's just say that the realization has brought a peace, a comfort, and a warmth that I've never known.  I have a destiny and it's been staring me in the face for years.

Tomorrow will be the test.  I'm throwing myself into the forge to see if I am the metal or the slag.  I think I'm right, though.  I hope so.  If I'm right it will be a long uphill battle, but the end result will be worth every single trudging step.  I know that it will be the catalyst for how my life will play out.  How do I know?  Not the foggiest clue.  I just know.

I'll go now.  I've held your ears and eyes for longer than I intended.  I haven't slept for three days and desperately need some rest but the weariness is worth it. I think tomorrow will be the most wonderful day of my 42 years, no matter what the outcome.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:19:16 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Laurent du Var

• friends
Re: Interesting, the curves life hands you...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:18:21 AM »
So this has nothing to do with your job, with marriage or religion.
And you had me look up the word "epiphany", so I learned something right there.

Here's good luck to you and I'm sure you're the metal. 
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:18:46 AM »
There's been a lot going on in my life lately and I've come to an epiphany.  No, it's not job related, and it has nothing to do with marriage, religion, or sexual orientation (get your minds out of the gutter you Bastiges =D ).  Let's just say that sometimes you get hit between the eyes with a truth so obvious you can't believe you've missed it for so long.

I've discovered my calling, my reason for being put on this earth.  It doesn't involve a huge life swing, a change of profession, or even a change of address for that matter.  But it does involve a realization that everything I've done, everything I've been, everything I've dealth with in my life was nothing more or less than training.  A trial by fire, if you will.  A distillation of my instincts, my drive, and my basic motivations into a single purpose.  After a couple of days and nights sitting up thinking I know what that purpose is.  It is so simple, really.  Life-changing, but so very simple.

I'm not going to say anything here as I'm pretty sure others involved read this forum too.  Let's just say that the realization has brought a peace, a comfort, and a warmth that I've never known.  I have a destiny and it's been staring me in the face for years.

Tomorrow will be the test.  I'm throwing myself into the forge to see if I am the metal or the slag.  I think I'm right, though.  I hope so.  If I'm right it will be a long uphill battle, but the end result will be worth every single trudging step.  I know that it will be the catalyst for how my life will play out.  How do I know?  Not the foggiest clue.  I just know.

I'll go now.  I've held your ears and eyes for longer than I intended.  I haven't slept for three days and desperately need some rest but the weariness is worth it. I think tomorrow will be the most wonderful day of my 42 years, no matter what the outcome.

Brad

Color me envious - at nearly 39, I haven't a clue what my purpose here is yet (other than to be a good husband to my wife, and good stepfather to her kids - which aren't purposes to be sneered at, IMO).  Sleep well, and let us know how it goes, when you feel you can.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 05:37:35 AM »
 =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:42:22 AM »
Best of luck to you, and congrats on the clarity. 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:05:59 AM »
I've discovered my calling, my reason for being put on this earth.

Cabaret singer?

Lion tamer?

NASCAR pit crew member?

Cat juggler?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:13:06 AM »
Cabaret singer?

Lion tamer?

NASCAR pit crew member?

Cat juggler?

Goose juggler
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 07:26:37 AM »
Brad,

You are not the One.  You cannot pick bullets out of mid-air.  You do not know kung fu. 

Take the blue pill.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:19:01 AM »
good luck! and congrats.  that calm knowing feeling after the trial and decision was for me god affirming my choice. i was scared to commit but once i did it was peaceful.   
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:24:23 AM »
As long as it your new bumper sticker doesn't say, "So many hitchhikers. So little time." I'm happy for you.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 09:00:52 AM »
sounds exciting.  making the decision to follow through is usually the hardest part.   have to say that i am curious as to the object or philosophy concerning your moment (or lifetime) of clarity.  kind of hoping we don't see the latest supervirus suddenly pop up after this.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 09:08:21 AM »
I'm with erictank. At 39 I'm more or less aimless. I envy you your revelation.

Here's a prayer that it is everything you wish it to be.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »
you decide to have kids? >:D :facepalm: :angel:  may god have mercy on you  the kids won't
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 10:12:02 AM »
Thats...  wow.

You go man, go for it!  =D

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »
So, no report back yet?  Can you hint at whether it's a vocation?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 10:21:16 AM »
Sounds like he's out doing it, whatever it is.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »
maybe giving away all his posessions and living off the land?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 01:10:45 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement.  No, it isn't kids, I'm not off robbing banks, and I'm not sitting in the yard with a big "Everything is Free" sign.  As for seekers hilarious pic, it's probably more accurate than you know. =D

Really it's more a change of attitude than anything else.  I'm already making the motions.  All I needed was to realize why I was making them.  It's no longer a disjointed bag of "doing" that seemed to do just as much harm as good.  Now I can hone in, focus, apply.  That's where the peace comes from.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 01:15:11 PM »
The answer was right there in front of us all along. He's obviously making pancakes and giving them to cops in lieu of donuts. ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 01:30:57 PM »
Now I can hone in, focus, apply.

You're writing a book called "The Zen of Stereo Installation"  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 01:31:46 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement.  No, it isn't kids, I'm not off robbing banks, and I'm not sitting in the yard with a big "Everything is Free" sign.  As for seekers hilarious pic, it's probably more accurate than you know. =D

Really it's more a change of attitude than anything else.  I'm already making the motions.  All I needed was to realize why I was making them.  It's no longer a disjointed bag of "doing" that seemed to do just as much harm as good.  Now I can hone in, focus, apply.  That's where the peace comes from.

Brad

You didn't watch "Falling Down" did you?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 02:03:24 PM »
Good luck.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »

Brad

Yea man.  I know what you mean.  I felt the same way when I started playing Grand Theft Auto IV the first time.
Welcome aboard.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »
Goose juggler

Goslings, baby geese......

No, it's not job related, and it has nothing to do with marriage, religion, or sexual orientation

I give, what is your *special purpose* ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.