Author Topic: Thousands rally on anniversary of invasion of Iraq  (Read 3295 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Thousands rally on anniversary of invasion of Iraq
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »

Thousands of protesters - many directing their anger squarely at President Barack Obama - marched through the US capital Saturday to urge immediate withdrawal of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

At least eight people, including activist Cindy Sheehan, were arrested by US Park Police at the end of the march, after laying coffins at a fence outside the White House. Friday marked the seventh anniversary of the US-led invasion of Iraq. (AP)

Source.

Well, this'll be interesting - now that the anti-war anger is directed at Obama..
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Thousands rally on anniversary of invasion of Iraq
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:48:04 PM »
Wait, so let me get this straight--if my spouse is successful in his attempts to enlist in the reserves, he will be a stooge of that militarist tyrant OBAMA? 

That's just insulting.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »
At least eight people, including activist Cindy Sheehan, were arrested by US Park Police at the end of the march, after laying coffins at a fence outside the White House.

Which was the whole point of the exercise for Sheehan and her fellow MLK wannabes. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:27:01 PM »
I was at the capitol on Saturday, at a different rally.  Saw the anti-war protesters, but they didn't amount to much.  There were probably only a few hundred, or maybe 1 or 2 thousand of them at most.  They were significantly out-classed by the 40,000 people at the anti-health-care rally being held at the same time.

And I find it telling that the MSM is conspicuously ignoring the health care rally.  The only story on it that I was was one news story that claimed we were shouting racial slurs at black congressmen.  I was there for the entire rally, and I can assure you that nothing of the sort ever happened.

=|

The Lone Haranguer

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
Well, he did say he was going to pull out of Iraq.    As time went by and the actual situation became more apparent, his timetable got pushed back.     

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:55:06 PM »
Yep, he got bogged down in Cuba......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »

I was at the capitol on Saturday, at a different rally.  Saw the anti-war protesters, but they didn't amount to much.  There were probably only a few hundred, or maybe 1 or 2 thousand of them at most.  They were significantly out-classed by the 40,000 people at the anti-health-care rally being held at the same time.

And I find it telling that the MSM is conspicuously ignoring the health care rally.  The only story on it that I was was one news story that claimed we were shouting racial slurs at black congressmen.  I was there for the entire rally, and I can assure you that nothing of the sort ever happened.

=|

The msm ignored it, but some of it was on Fox. Probably, the only spitting that occurred was that of Congress spitting on the Constitution.  [barf]
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 01:00:39 AM »
someone needs to tell the antiwar dudes throwing shoes is cool. [popcorn]

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 02:14:03 AM »
Seconded.

Paddy2010

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:22:53 AM »
Well, isn't it about time we wrapped it up?  I mean either sh*t or get off the pot.  How long did WWII last?  Oh, yeah, that was back when we actually had balls.  We had leaders (Truman-a DEMOCRAT) who made Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki disappear.  Obama=Bush IMHO.  Neither of them can actually win a war.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 02:23:53 AM »
Well, isn't it about time we wrapped it up?  I mean either sh*t or get off the pot.  How long did WWII last?  Oh, yeah, that was back when we actually had balls.  We had leaders (Truman-a DEMOCRAT) who made Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki disappear.  Obama=Bush IMHO.  Neither of them can actually win a war.

Pray tell, which parts of Iraq should America nuke?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

taurusowner

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 03:10:52 AM »

Hm.  And how long did we have troops in Germany after WWII?  Going on 66 years now.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:21 AM »

=|

Oh, you forgot Bawney Fwank. He insisted he was called homophobic slurs.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »
Well, isn't it about time we wrapped it up? 

Nope.

We (the military) said in '02 that this was a 10-15 year mission.  I was part of the inital logistics planning for OIF, and amongst those folks that actually do this for a living, that was the overwhelming consensus.  Invade, Get rid of Saddam, set up a new, friendly government, stabilize* and get out. 10-15 years.

We're actually on the low side of that estimate.  God, Congress, and Murphy willing it's looking like we can get it done inthe 10-12 year time frame.

You guys (the civilians) chose not to listen to us in 02. Now leave us alone and let us finish it right, so we don't have to start all over in 2020.

*Stabilize means that the new Iraqi gov lasts at least 5 years after we leave.  After that all bets are off.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »

some one must have called him "Barney Frank" [popcorn] :angel:

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 04:16:57 PM »
Nope.

We (the military) said in '02 that this was a 10-15 year mission.  I was part of the inital logistics planning for OIF, and amongst those folks that actually do this for a living, that was the overwhelming consensus.  Invade, Get rid of Saddam, set up a new, friendly government, stabilize* and get out. 10-15 years.

We're actually on the low side of that estimate.  God, Congress, and Murphy willing it's looking like we can get it done inthe 10-12 year time frame.

You guys (the civilians) chose not to listen to us in 02. Now leave us alone and let us finish it right, so we don't have to start all over in 2020.

*Stabilize means that the new Iraqi gov lasts at least 5 years after we leave.  After that all bets are off.
if you wanted to be left to finish the job you should have helped explain that "mission accomplished" was referring to the Guys on the boat that were heading home. [popcorn]

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
if you wanted to be left to finish the job you should have helped explain that "mission accomplished" was referring to the Guys on the boat that were heading home. [popcorn]
Sigh, no attention to detail.  Look:

See the part I circled?  Everyone assumes that's a star.  Nope, that's the asterisk. If anybody had asked we would have told them that the mission in question was getting the CINC to the podium on time.  That was definatlly accomplished.  We would have been clearer but it was so obvious the GWOT wasn't accomplished we didn't think even civilians could mess it up.  =D =D

[popcorn]

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 05:45:02 PM »

The msm ignored it, but some of it was on Fox. Probably, the only spitting that occurred was that of Congress spitting on the Constitution.  [barf]

I heard about it from multiple msm sources.  The protests actually centered in just about every piece I listend to or read on Sunday evening.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »

Thousands of protesters - many directing their anger squarely at President Barack Obama - marched through the US capital Saturday to urge immediate withdrawal of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

At least eight people, including activist Cindy Sheehan, were arrested by US Park Police at the end of the march, after laying coffins at a fence outside the White House. Friday marked the seventh anniversary of the US-led invasion of Iraq. (AP)

Source.

Well, this'll be interesting - now that the anti-war anger is directed at Obama..

Lol.  Some people are just stupid and need to be ignored.  I hope they weren't late for the PETA and Greenpeace tea time after the noble protest.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 06:16:40 PM »
Hippies will always be hippies.
I actually think that Obama is doing a decent job on Afghanistan.  Not great, but decent, espeically for a progressive.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »
Hippies will always be hippies.
I actually think that Obama is doing a decent job on Afghanistan.  Not great, but decent, espeically for a progressive.

I just had a stroke.

=D

I know what you mean though.  Obama has not been nearly enough of a hippie for a large part of his base.  For an evil progressive, he has shown a rather large pragmatic streak.  And reality is the bane of most hippies.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 07:36:45 PM »

I was there.  That didn't happen either.   ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »
FWIW, a woman called the Rush show today, and said she was at that Tea Party, holding hands with her homosexual "partner," and felt very welcome.