Author Topic: What's next? Just a hunch....  (Read 6005 times)

Inor

• Just this guy
Re: What's next? Just a hunch....
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 09:42:49 PM »
Just a hunch, but Immigration reform will be the next battle.

I doubt immigration will be much of a battle.  It will more of a wimper and a whine.  There are too many Republicans that want it.

If you are talking about a "political battle" where both sides participate in spirited debate, I expect it will some kind of stimulus part 7 or whatever number we are up to now.  After the healthcare fight, the Dems need something they can run on this fall.  If they put together some kind of outlandishly asinine bill offering McDonalds cashiers a $100,000 per year salary, they will be able to tar the Republicans with "You just want 20 something's to starve"!

If the healthcare thing taught us nothing else, know that we should only pay attention to every other news cycle.  Two months ago the Dems were all over the news lamenting Scott Brown's election.  In the background they were preparing for the final push on healthcare.  If they are out talking immigration now, it is only because something much worse is in the works.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 11:09:16 PM »
Yes, a lot of Republicans want cheap labor.  That we know, just as the Dems want cheap votes.  But we come back to the same reality: the American middle-class is caught in the middle and being slowly but surely deprived of oxygen and wiggle room.  I really doubt that in today's economy the average American is going to be very receptive to a blanket amnesty much less an escalation of legal immigration.  Who needs more workers when your capitalist class is being systematically stifled?  Why would we need to greatly amplify our pool of unskilled labor?  So we can emulate the Chinese?  There's a great legacy to leave our children.  You can expect many American voices to make clear what an amnesty is likely to mean in terms of the economy, our debt, and the culture.  This is a very visceral topic, and it will not be something that will just go down as governmental business as usual.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 02:47:32 AM »
and, if there legal there no longer cheap labor, and for some reason i am starting to wonder how much longer the minimum wage will be under ten bucks. ??? what will the union scale look like with a 11.25 minimum wage? [tinfoil]

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 05:30:47 AM »
I doubt immigration will be much of a battle.  It will more of a wimper and a whine.  There are too many Republicans that want it.
This is true. Or at least it was.

I think this recent push and openness by the hard core progressive leaders of the Democratic party have been a major galvanizing force for their opposition. How many times before, or at least recently, have we seen such open and consistent partisanship and opposition? Even most of the senate RINO's voted against this POS. EVERY republican in the house voted against it. While I'm generally weary of poll numbers, the ones on recent issues have been so consistent that I'm willing to say they are at least generally correct. And they have been overwhelmingly against not just the health care bill, but the tactics used to pass it. The American people have been severely pissed off.

If the progressives in the democratic party were as smart as they think they are they would have pushed the supporting issues, such as an amnesty, first and more even handed. Then made the big in your face push and told the other side to STFU. As it is now though they've galvanized their opposition more then it has been in quite some time.

Hell it took them a year to pass health care and they just barely squeaked it through, and it may yet fall in the courts. And health care is an area most everyone agreed needed reforming, just not the type the dems rammed through and with the tactics they used. With a comfortable super majority they just barely squeaked through on an issue they many people agreed needed reform. On amnesty most people don't even agree with it in principle to start with, so it's already lacking one thing in it's favor the health care bill had. Now with galvanized opposition I think it's going to be just as if not harder to pass.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »
Immigration policy is, according to Obama, one more "broken" element in American society.  Of course he hasn't said why it's broken or who broke it.  But others will, and vociferously, including new elements not yet seen in American politics.

I think the tea party movement is based not just on resistance to excessive government power but, more fundamentally, on truth, on gaining clarity, on re-articulating the real problems in America outside of the propaganda and sanctimonious bromides of the mainstream media.  What amnesty means to the broad swath of Americas is not just more economic dislocation and displacement, it's the imposition of a foreign culture and values threatening core American political, social, moral beliefs.  It means the "latinizing" of American society in ways radically incompatible, on every level, with where this nation began philosophically.  While the MSM pundits refuse to talk about this, even many of the conservatives, the average American citizen-taxpayer understands it both intellectually and viscerally, and this deep truth will not only not go away it will break out into everyday speech and become a rallying cry.  Just as the illegal alien community now feels comfortable waving foreign flags and talking about how this land is their land and how they will re-take America by outpopulating white America and how "gabachos" are history--all of this blatantly racist but systematically concealed and suppressed by fellow travelers in the media--Americans will eventually feel comfortable making their own cultural and political defense without apology and bluntly.  This will, make no mistake about it, scare the bejesus out of a lot of people who "don't want trouble" and prefer to live inside the comfortable lies that got us here.

No, an amnesty will NOT go down easily.  Rest assured of that.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:59:03 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 12:58:51 AM »
I know McCain will vote for it, guaranteeing his defeat to Hayworth this November.

It will make a good litmus for country club and RINO conservatives.

that's why I  think they will wait till after nov
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »
It's true that Republicans want open borders/amnesty.  That's why the Republicans are on their way, rapidly, to becoming irrelevant.  "Republican" ideas have been eroding American strength for a long time, just as their collusion with Democrats has.  The antidote to what's happening today is going to be nationalism, a sober realization that to survive we are going to have to rally around a new understanding of what it means to be American.  This will annoy and anger a lot of people already in this country, but that, nonetheless, is where it's going.  Democracy makes sense only when you have a "demos," and we have badly subverted ours.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.