Author Topic: Got my deer today.  (Read 2961 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Got my deer today.
« on: January 19, 2006, 07:26:27 AM »
Or actually it got me. It might have been over at THR but a while back I had a post claiming I'd have a better chance of hitting a deer with my car than tracking one down and killing. Well, I was a driving down the road in my van and out of nowhere come FOUR of the buggers all running at top speed straight through my path. Hellooooo brakes!! I'm literally standing on them and just managed to miss the one I was going to cream. Just as I figure it's going to make it the one behind IT slams into the side of my beautiful white van. I looked in the sideview and watched it pick itself up and stumble off. Looked a little dazed but looked like it was ok. You want to see the dent in my truck though. Sad

Actually it's not too bad. I seen one once where there was pretty much a side view full body deer imprint in the side of a van. Complete with a spray of dung in the proper location. apparently THIS deer was a buck in rut and had charged the van. shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Art Eatman

• friend
Got my deer today.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 08:04:02 AM »
Oh, deer!  I hope you have acciDENTal insurance!

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Iain

• friend
Got my deer today.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 08:43:27 AM »
"That's it. I've changed my mind. I do want to be shot."
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Got my deer today.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 08:46:05 AM »
You and mtnbkr's wife have something in common now...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
Got my deer today.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 09:32:47 AM »
Talk about getting your truck  bucked  up.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Got my deer today.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 10:03:36 AM »
One nailed my Tercel LoveStory* a few years ago. Hit it from the side.

- NF

* Owning a cheap car means never having to say you're sorry. Cheesy
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Got my deer today.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 02:36:11 PM »
Only two kinds of people in Montana, those who have hit deer on the road, and those who WILL hit deer on the road.  Let's see, I think I have scored two so far, but since I drive those horrible old gas guzzling V8 trucks there was just cosmetic damage.  Caught one right behind the ear with the corner of the fender and its butt slapped around into the driver's door leaving a big shallow dent and the doe's bowel contents.  There's also a deer head sized hole in the plastic grill of the Suburban from another encounter.

There are some roads up here that it's not safe to drive over about 35mph at dusk and dawn - heck, that is too fast.  It's even more scary in a little car when you're looking UP at the deer!

If I was buying a new truck, I'd go out and spend a grand or so on a really good heavy steel grill guard.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Iain

• friend
Got my deer today.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 02:49:11 PM »
It's an increasingly common occurrence here. Apparently there are more deer here now than there has been since the last ice age. Seen some pretty 'impressive' pictures, mostly from the US. Remember seeing the results of a crash where the first car merely flipped the deer into the air, and the second car took it through the windshield.

Glad you are ok 280. Remember someone posting on THR that they hit a deer and had to wait for the police to kill it. About half an hour of listening to its agony if I remember.

Got my deer today.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 03:18:10 PM »
I hit so many with my car and so few with my gun, I've considered mounting 12 gauges to my front quarter panels to ward off the ones in the road. Smiley

I hope you're ok and the vehicle is repairable.

280plus

• friend
Got my deer today.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 05:06:20 PM »
oh yea, I'm ok, thanks. No undie change required...  The truck? It's just going to have to live with its latest battle scar, it's not that noticable. You can tell it hit pretty darn hard though. It'll probably feel it in the morning. Cheesy

Standing Wolf

• friend
Got my deer today.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 06:09:18 PM »
I'll bet more deer are killed with cars in the United States than guns.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

280plus

• friend
Got my deer today.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 02:33:35 AM »
I'll bet you're right. I almost got me a DOUBLE!

Cheesy

Iain

• friend
Got my deer today.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 03:29:45 AM »
What is the legal situation with regard to the carcass?

Bizarrely I was always told by my Cornish relatives that if you hit a pheasant with your car, you aren't allowed to pick it up. The car behind you is though. The hassle of a two car pheasant slaughtering convoy lost its appeal when I decided that I didn't really like pheasant all that much anyway.

280plus

• friend
Got my deer today.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 08:34:25 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, the carcass is yours if you want it. I imagine the p[olice need to see it and clear it so you don't get stopped somewhere with a "poached" deer.

Got my deer today.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 03:20:39 PM »
Here, you call the Sheriff's department and they issue a tag for it and then its yours if you want it. There are also people on a list at the dept who will come and pick up hit deer for venison if the driver doesn't want it.