Author Topic: My hunch on health care reform  (Read 4161 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: My hunch on health care reform
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 07:37:48 PM »
Five years ago, I was paying over $500/month for my share to cover our family of four.

There was no other (reasonable) choice because that is what my then employer offered.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 04:51:58 PM »
I paid $390 a month
And I pay almost exactly that. What's your point? And how are you "subsidizing" my insurance?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 08:50:32 PM »
I didn't read the entire thread....so sorry if this is old news.  The McCarren-Ferguson Act of 1943 prohibits ObamaCare.  That's assuming the .fedgov even remembers this law is on the books and assuming the D's would abide by it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 11:23:11 PM »
... The McCarren-Ferguson Act of 1943 prohibits ObamaCare.  ...
How so?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 01:12:24 AM »
interesting, would be funny to watch that -- session. [popcorn]

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 08:58:30 PM »
McClarren-Ferguson prohibits the federal government from interfering in the "business of insurance".  That regulation of insurance companies are the exclusive bailiwick of the states.  Even though insurance companies may do business in many states, they have to follow the regulation by the individual states.  That's why one can not buy an insurance policy issued in a state where one does not reside.  In otherwords, if you want to buy an auto or a health or any kind of policy, you must buy it from the company that is doing business in your state from an agent of that company in your state.  The commerce clause does not apply in this instance.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw