Author Topic: Update: Sikh is able to keep beard and turban in US Army  (Read 14809 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Update: Sikh is able to keep beard and turban in US Army
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:06:57 AM »
We have discussed this previously.  This article was published in today's (23 March 2010) USA Today:

1st Sikh in decades graduates Army officer school
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Amid lines of soldiers, one after the other in standard-issue fatigues and combat boots, was one in a turban and full beard on Monday — the first Sikh in a generation allowed to complete U.S. Army officer basic training without sacrificing the articles of his faith.
Capt. Tejdeep Singh Rattan, a 31-year-old dentist, graduated Monday at Fort Sam Houston after the Army made an exemption to a uniform policy that has effectively prevented Sikhs from enlisting since 1984.

FAITH & REASON: Join the conversation on religion, spirituality and ethics
"I'm feeling very humbled. I'm a soldier," he said, grinning after the ceremony as other members of the Sikh community milled about nearby. "This has been my dream."

Rattan had to get a waiver from the Army to be allowed to serve without sacrificing the unshorn hair mandated by his faith. An immigrant from India who arrived in New York as a teenager, Rattan said it was important for him to serve a country that has given him so many opportunities.

The Army in 1984 eliminated an exemption that had previously allowed Sikhs to maintain their articles of faith while serving, but officials can issue individual waivers to the uniform policy after considering the effects on safety and discipline, said Army spokesman George Wright. Only a handful of such individual religious exemptions are ever granted.

Rattan and Dr. Kamaljeet Singh Kalsi, who will attend basic training this summer after completing an emergency medicine fellowship, are the first Sikhs to receive exemptions in more than 25 years.

Rattan and Kalsi both offer health care skills that are in high demand in an Army stretched by wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

1st Sgt. Jeffrey DeGarmo said he made sure the officers-in-training in his unit understood that Rattan wasn't a foreign national and had received the Army's permission to maintain his beard and turban. Once the other soldiers understood that, there were no issues, he said.

"It went pretty well," DeGarmo said. "I think he did an outstanding job adjusting."

For Sikhs, the unshorn hair wrapped in a turban and beard are required to keep adherents in the natural state in which God made them, said Amardeep Singh, director of the Sikh Coalition, a New York-based advocacy group that helped Rattan and Kalsi push for Army admittance.

During training, Rattan wore a helmet over the small turban, which he doesn't remove, and was able to successfully create a seal with his gas mask despite the beard, resolving the Army's safety concerns, said Harsimran Kaur, the Sikh Coalition's legal director.

Rattan worked with an Army tailor to create a flash, the insignia patch worn on soldiers' berets, that could be affixed to his black turban, she said.

Singh said allowing Sikh adherents to serve in the Army is an important part of ensuring they are an integral part of American life. He said it also could counter prejudice.

"If government can say to someone 'You can't serve, not for any reason that has to do with your abilities,' that sends the wrong message," he said. "We don't want to be perpetual outsiders."

The Sikh community has a long tradition of military service in India, from where most adherents originally emigrated, and in other countries, such as the United Kingdom and Canada.

Sikhs represent 2% of India's population but make up about 30% of that country's army officers, Singh said.

An estimated 300,000 Sikhs live in the United States.

Before the Army's regulation change in 1984, Sikhs served in the U.S. military during every major armed conflict going back to World War I. Those who joined before the change were allowed to serve with their beards and turbans, but the policy effectively prevented new enlistment of Sikhs, Kaur said.

She said her group will continue to push for a change in Army policy.

"We're still working toward a day when Sikhs don't have to check their faith at the door," she said.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Update: Sikh is able to keep beard and turban in US Army
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »
I'm disappointed with the Army. The clothing is called "uniform" for a very good reason.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:24:18 AM »
Before the Army's regulation change in 1984, Sikhs served in the U.S. military during every major armed conflict going back to World War I. Those who joined before the change were allowed to serve with their beards and turbans, but the policy effectively prevented new enlistment of Sikhs, Kaur said.

Letting them wear turbans clearly worked in WW1 and WW2.  I don't see any reason why people should be tampering with the military for social experimentation and changing what has worked for years.  =D =D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:01:46 AM »
These guys were Army, they have facial hair. Whats wrong with that?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:09:10 AM »
Letting them wear turbans clearly worked in WW1 and WW2.  I don't see any reason why people should be tampering with the military for social experimentation and changing what has worked for years.  =D =D

Agreed.

The 1984 change was foolish.  Would that some other foolish changes since 1984 be abolished.

Also, it sounds like the Sikhs were the "Prussians of the Sub-Continent":
Sikhs represent 2% of India's population but make up about 30% of that country's army officers, Singh said.

Serving as Os at a rate 15x their proportion in society?  Sounds like it is in their blood.  "Waivers-a-go-go" says I.

I do wonder if they would be able to serve in an airborne unit, as the lack of a helmet would likely scramble their brains on contact with the ground and the turban would be a nasty risk to them and others ready to jump.  Such questions would have to be answered, before a Sikh could serve, as the turban might not be compatible with some equipment or activities.  Say, SF scuba.

Last, I would think that an innovative fellow might be able to rig up turban material crafted with some kevlar?

Hmm, it seems that Sikhs used protective materials in this sort of turban:
Chand Tora Dhamala ~ turban with chainmail
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh_turban
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaiIjnh9XSE

charby:

Yes, indeed.

Also, those uniformes look a whole lot better than the nasty dress greens did.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »
The argument for preserving the traditions fails when you are just undoing a recent change.

I've never been overly impressed with the idea of absolute uniformity in the armed forces.  Sure it makes the parade drills nicer, but I think the primary concern should be maintaining the adaptability, ingenuity, and core skills concerning travel to foreign lands to break things and kill people.   :cool:

I do express concerns regarding the facial hair.  The new shaven tradition centers on the modern requirement of gas-masks. I don't doubt he could get it jiggered to work for a drill, but for emergency use when the gas is more harmful than tear gas.... Well, best of luck to him.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »
I'm not sure that I'm convinced that he can get a pro-mask on, sealed and cleared in 9 seconds. I wonder how secure the webbing is while it's over a turban.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »
I do wonder if they would be able to serve in an airborne unit, as the lack of a helmet would likely scramble their brains on contact with the ground and the turban would be a nasty risk to them and others ready to jump.  Such questions would have to be answered, before a Sikh could serve, as the turban might not be compatible with some equipment or activities.  Say, SF scuba.

As far as I understand, the Sikh turbans come in different shapes and sizes. Of course we all know the large, decorative turban, but apparently there exist simpler shapes, somewhat like a bandanna, which are designed to be used in daily life, especially for people whose work involves helmets or who live in Western countries.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
The restriction is frustrating for Sikh officers, says Kashmira Singh Mann.
Sikh police want bulletproof turbans to be developed so they can serve as firearms officers and deal with public order, a newly-formed body says.
The British Sikh Police Association says Sikh officers cannot currently do such jobs, as their religion prohibits removing turbans to wear helmets.
But the organisation's chairman says he now intends to push for more research on suitable ballistic turban material.
The Home Office said each force needed to ensure religions were accommodated.
The British Sikh Police Association, set up last month to give Sikh officers across the UK an "officially recognised voice", said it wanted its members to play a full role in the police.
'Frustration'
Sgt Kashmira Singh Mann, chairman of the association, told the BBC News website bulletproof turbans would allow such officers to abide by religious traditions as well as participate in all areas of the police service.
"We are looking at the issue because it stops Sikh officers serving in all roles," said the Thames Valley Police officer who is based in Slough, Berkshire.
"It is a frustration for them - we see our colleagues putting their lives on the line and we want to serve alongside them."
He said research had already begun to find a ballistic material for turbans, but that it would need to be passed by the Home Office before it could be used.

It is down to individual forces to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate the religion of individual officers
Home Office
"We have put some feelers out and talks are on the agenda," he added.
The new association aims to support Sikh members of the service - said to number some 2,000 - and help forces to develop strategies to recruit, retain and progress Sikh officers and staff.
The Metropolitan Police Service and West Midlands Police have the largest number of Sikh staff.
West Midlands Police last year denied spending £100,000 on trying to adapt safety helmets to fit over turbans.
However, it said it had been working to solve the headgear issue, which it described as "problematic".
On the issue of bulletproof turbans, a Home Office spokeswoman said the government wanted a police service that "reflected the diverse communities it served".
"The more closely the police service reflects the people it serves, the more effectively it can protect and support that community," she said.
"It is down to individual forces to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate the religion of individual officers," she added.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »
Also, it sounds like the Sikhs were the "Prussians of the Sub-Continent":
Serving as Os at a rate 15x their proportion in society?  Sounds like it is in their blood.  "Waivers-a-go-go" says I.

Wouldn't fly in America, but I always thought a special Sikh unit, similar to the British Gurkhas would be pretty interesting in AWOT.  =D
I promise not to duck.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:48:19 PM »
I think it's BS...I didn't want to shave/cut my hair when I was talking about coming in. Granted, it's not my religion either.

If you want to be here, you play by the rules...PT, hair, PDA, whatever!

Ed

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »

PDA is now required?

Must have been a Clinton inovation.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 01:00:33 PM »

This seems to be the attitude I was talking about, rules being sacred just because they are the rules.  I want folks in the service to defer to the rules, but when given a reason, to look to the purpose of the rule and do a spot weighing of the benefit of the rule and the benefit of the exception.

Not asking folks to go crazy, all for a strong deference to the rules, I just want some common sense.  

Guy hurt his arm, has it in a sling, Dr. says keep it that way for a week... would you really start yelling about his sudden fall in push up numbers?

Sacred symbol kept tucked under the undershirt... of extremely important value to the person and has no discernible impact on efficiency of that person or the unit.... why in the world should we care?
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 01:07:04 PM »
I'm disappointed with the Army. The clothing is called "uniform" for a very good reason.

A lot have had the same complaint about non-uniform skin colors.

The military's job is to kill people who need killing.  As long as they can do that, I don't care if they're wearing tie-dye and spiked blue mohawks.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »
I think it's BS...I didn't want to shave/cut my hair when I was talking about coming in. Granted, it's not my religion either.

Ed

There's a lot of nonstandard facial hair on soldiers in the ME...

Chris

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 01:26:34 PM »
A lot have had the same complaint about non-uniform skin colors.

Careful patting yourself on the back, there, MLK III.  You might break your arm in an hysterical fit of self-congratulationgratification.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »

hell at least one of em owned slaves too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 01:44:35 PM »

They don't have to put on gas masks on the front lines.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 01:47:02 PM »
They don't have to put on gas masks on the front lines.

There is at least one Middle-Eastern country where everybody wears beards, and whose military has actual combat experience with using gas masks on the front lines.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 02:05:26 PM »
>The military's job is to kill people who need killing.  As long as they can do that, I don't care if they're wearing tie-dye and spiked blue mohawks.<

That might make for an interesting uniform, from a psy ops perspective...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
There are a lot of reasons guys wear beards. Different grooming specs for Special Forces, skin conditions that cause severe irritation when shaving etc. I see no reason not to go back to the pre-84 rules. As Micro points out, beards don't keep other countries from using gas masks.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »
Whats wrong with the waiver system?  Obviously, the Sikh got in and has been approved to follow his religious tradition, but as a by and large, I think most should be kept in a uniform style of shave and haircut.  Seems like a win win to me.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
I think it should be an automagic thing like it used to be. "Oh, you're a Sikh? Beard and turban are fine then."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 02:56:48 PM »
the beard...who cares? Dude wants to have a beard so be it, especially since he has a valid reason.

My only issue is the turban. HTF is he supposed to wear a helmet should he ever find himself needing to pick up a rifle and defend base? Or he finds himself in a situation where his base comes under mortar attack, something I seem to recall being a fairly common event in Iraq? Waivers are fine IMO, until you reach a practical issue with one.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.