Author Topic: Update: Sikh is able to keep beard and turban in US Army  (Read 14807 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Update: Sikh is able to keep beard and turban in US Army
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 11:30:30 PM »
Because it's actually a part of their faith?
Who tests their faith then? Who decides what faiths deserve exceptions? Why do we have religious tests in our military? If there are different rules for different religions, there must be tests to determine what religion you really belong to. Why is this OK? I insist that if Sikhs are permitted to wear beards, then anyone should. There should not be different rules for different religions. Any dress code relaxations enjoyed by any religion should be enjoyable by anyone.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 11:33:17 PM »

I don't know if I understand you. You mean they get Sikh?
Hey, somebody had to do it.

Ahhhh, payback for my Yewtube pun....... :laugh: :lol: =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2010, 12:16:48 AM »
I know it sucks...the guy wants to volunteer his skills (and that's more than most), but the meaning behind the grooming standard is much more than what is on the surface. Camaraderie and being part of a team account for a lot.

For example, I work with black, white, brown, yellow people...we all wear the same uniform, same standards and have the same big picture military goals...regardless of branch, rank, whatever. I go to a civilian event with those same people, and they're dressed in their civilian clothes. Gold chains, combs in their hair, baggy pants, wife beaters, whatever! Hate to say it, but I judge them even though I may know their straight laced military persona.

Religious garb has no place in uniform...as a Catholic (albeit a recovering one), I'm not allowed to display a cross around my neck on the outside of my shirt. Ignoring the huge chem-bio weapons issue, how is a beard and turban different?

Active duty in uniform? Shave your face and cut your hair. It's the reg..cut and dry (pun not intended). It's not my place to question it. If DOD sees fit to change it, then I'll enforce that.

Ed

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 01:39:23 AM »
FOr people who've been in the .mil too long, regulations become their own religion. Sad when your religion is subject to the whims of a bunch of suits in DC...

As for the "no exemptions to anyone for anything" idea, are you saying that if a guy's face gets so badly scarred or burned that he can't shave, he should be kicked out because he can't abide by the regs? All this bitching about "fairness" makes me think I'm listening to an Obama speech.

As Rev points out, regs are just there to make us kill people and blow things up better. When they get in the way, they should be changed.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 07:57:36 AM »
Hear, hear.  I think the Army needs a new recruitment slogan that goes something like, "If you're from someplace with a tradition for whuppin' up on folks, applyin' a beat-down, and what-not; we offer good pay,* plenty of chow, and a chance to slap folks around."

So the Texas Mechanized Infantry gets special waivers to wear mullets and travel in air-conditioned crew-cab Dodge pickups?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 08:30:02 AM »

Hear, hear.  I think the Army needs a new recruitment slogan that goes something like, "If you're from someplace with a tradition for whuppin' up on folks, applyin' a beat-down, and what-not; we offer good pay,* plenty of chow, and a chance to slap folks around."

*Good pay, compared to Mumbai or Soweto. 
We have plenty of recruits from rural Alababma.  :ducks.

any religion that mandates being armed at all times so that they can kill evil-doers on demand and a long proven track record of killing folks that deserved it.  I want a friggin US Army Gurkha unit, damn it! 

I want to convert to/join that unit.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »
We have plenty of recruits from rural Alababma.  :ducks.

Hee-hee.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife