Author Topic: Michael Savage?  (Read 5194 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Michael Savage?
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:41:31 AM »
I've always wondered about Savage. Most of the radio guys respect each other, but Savage does the opposite - it's a rare show when he isn't running down the competition (the Golfer, Wallbanger, Leprauchaun...), and generally acting loony.
Came across this article:
http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/2003/03/05/savage/index.html?pn=2
And this one:
http://article.nationalreview.com/294888/savaged/david-klinghoffer
Apparently I'm not alone in thinking he's an odd duck.

What's your take on the Savage one?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Michael Savage?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 01:01:56 AM »
he is competitive, a lot of the con radio guys do not help each other out, he is just a little louder about it.
I used to listen all the time but lately I do not drive for a living so my radio listening is down....but I like him as much as i like some of the folks he disparages
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:03:40 AM »
he is competitive, a lot of the con radio guys do not help each other out, he is just a little louder about it.
I used to listen all the time but lately I do not drive for a living so my radio listening is down....but I like him as much as i like some of the folks he disparages
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:20:49 AM »
He's an anger-fetishist posing as a conservative ideologue.  Or in his other personality, he's a moony old codger nostalgic for the good old days. 

Oh sure, Levine is angry, but his anger accompanies actual conservative principles and policy positions. 

Savage has no principles.*  That would get in the way of screaming that all the red-diaper-doper-baby LAWYERS SHOULD BE DROWNED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN!!  Yeah, that's some real principled conservatism right there.   ;/

*OK, Savage actually has three principles.  Borders, language, culture.  And he's right about those.  Still... 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 08:35:19 AM »
Savage is by far the most intelligent of the talkers.  He's also the most damaged.  That said, I think he's got a case against the other talkers because of their lack of support of him in his fight with the British government.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »
The valid points he frequently makes are overshadowed - and usually lost - by his hyperbole and invective.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:46:17 AM »
He is also right when he says that Liberalism is mental disease (disorder?).  Liberal hypocricy is so evident, especially in government, that it has to be an illness.  He's amusing to listen to once in awhile.  He does have one redeeming feature...he seems to hate everyone, so he's an equal opportunity guy in that regard. =D

Whether he is the radio equivilent to The Onion, or the allegedly funny guy who has an alleged news show on cable is up for grabs.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
From my experience trying to listen to him, he actually makes a little sense for about 5 minutes for every 60 minutes of talk.  The rest of the time he is either patting himself on the back or screaming and ranting and raving and being completely irrational.  At one time when I commuted to work, I listened sometimes because there was little else in that time slot.

I used to respect him a bit because he said some pretty smart things in that 5 minutes and he probably still does.  The long minutes of hearing him patting himself on the back for being so brilliant were too much for me.   I also finally figured out that he was lying his ass off.  He was trying to claim he had always said such and such on a particular issue, and it happened to be an issue where I knew for a fact he had said something completely different months or a year before.  He likes to talk about how he was right all along on this or that and I just have to assume he is lying now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:47:22 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:45:09 AM »
Where I live, one of the major radio markets, Savage has been "marginalized"--that is to say, silenced.  There's been an aggressive campaign to muzzle him.  Savage, in my view, is a John-the-Baptist type, a wild man who nonetheless has been and is right about many of the deeper things.  It's true he's an angry soul, but then he's got a lot to be angry about--and so do we.  He has touched more than one Third Rail in his career, and they are making him pay for it.  I think he got burned out as it became clear what was about to happen in '08, but I suspect he'll be riding high again when the Dems present their amnesty bill and the Middle East heats up.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 05:01:49 PM »
That said, I think he's got a case against the other talkers because of their lack of support of him in his fight with the British government.

Ha!

1.  He attacks the other guys frequently, so no surprise they ignore him.  This raging lunatic has even tried to pillory Ann Coulter for saying offensive things.  If there was ever a case of the singularity calling the nebula a black hole.   :O

2.  I agree with Savage on the immigration issue, but you can't be Rabid Border Enforcement Guy for years and then complain when the sovereign state of Great Britain decides to shut you out.  Don't get me wrong; the Brits were completely in the wrong there.  But he has no right to enter Great Britain, and they weren't violating his freedom of speech as he so vociferously (and laughably) claims.  

This man is a toxic stain on American conservatism.  He's not doing much good for America.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:09:08 PM by fistful »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »
Yeah, saying "Language Borders Culture" and then bitching when another country shuts it's border to you because you offend their culture is pretty funny.

I tried to listen to him a few times. Whiny one minute, deranged the next, and he said something (dang if I remember what) that greatly vexed me one time. Not worth the time imho.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »
Then you're just a checked-pants Republican.  :laugh:

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 07:42:12 PM »
Sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don't. It's pretty much like that for most talk show hosts.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 10:56:42 PM »
I find that, whether I agree with him or not, he's just too disturbed to listen to.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 11:13:01 PM »
I find that, whether I agree with him or not, he's just too disturbed to listen to.

"Unhinged" is my assessment.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »
"Unhinged" is my assessment.

I can go with that.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
He may be "unhinged," but funny how right he's been on so many issues--let's take illegal immigration, just to cite one.  I agree he goes off the tracks on personal manias now and then, but he scores other talk show hosts for not walking the walk.  People like O'Reilly, who loves "the folks" and is sworn to "look after them" but wobbles on any number of critical issues so he can be loved by all.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »
That is about the only issue I can think of that he has been consistent with.  Even if he was right a lot more, he is too unhinged and deranged for me to enjoy listening to him.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
He may be "unhinged," but funny how right he's been on so many issues--let's take illegal immigration, just to cite one.  I agree he goes off the tracks on personal manias now and then, but he scores other talk show hosts for not walking the walk.  People like O'Reilly, who loves "the folks" and is sworn to "look after them" but wobbles on any number of critical issues so he can be loved by all.

I don't see what O'Reilly has to do with it, other than Savage should follow his example by getting off the air.

Plenty of half-wits and crazies are conservative - Sean Hannity for one.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 06:19:27 PM »
Annoyingly over the top.. 

That doesn't make him wrong on everything, I just can't listen to him.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »
What O'Reilly has to do with it is that he is one of the people Savage has gone off on, and I'm telling you why.  O'Reilly wants to play both sides and be loved by "the folks."  Savage, hinged or unhinged, has always said exactly what he believes and let the chips fall.  That he's antagonized a lot of people isn't surprising, but in these times if you aren't pissing a lot of people off, you are probably part of the Mendacity Culture.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:40:01 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 10:33:28 PM »
What O'Reilly has to do with it is that he is one of the people Savage has gone off on, and I'm telling you why.  O'Reilly wants to play both sides and be loved by "the folks."  Savage, hinged or unhinged, has always said exactly what he believes and let the chips fall.  That he's antagonized a lot of people isn't surprising, but in these times if you aren't pissing a lot of people off, you are probably be of the Mendacity Culture.

You really don't understand Savage.

Savage doesn't need a reason to go off on conservative pundits.  Like I said, he's also gone off on real conservatives that say exactly what they believe and let the chips fall.  If anyone matches that description, it's Coulter, who he's also attacked.  Ditto for Mark Levin. 

For the record, though, I have no interest in defending O'Reilly.  Politically, he doesn't get it, and personally he seems like an arrogant jerk.  I know the type.   :lol:

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 01:43:58 AM »
Let's agree to disagree.  I am very familiar with Savage.   I'm not arguing that Savage is always right or that I agree with him on everything, just that he has thrown down the gauntlet with other conservative talkers for other than petty, personal reasons.  Savage is an egomaniac, true enough, but he is not afraid to take his crusades where they have to go rather than aborting them, as so many of his competitors often do.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:27:57 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 09:40:47 AM »
he is not afraid to talk his crusades where they have to go rather than aborting them, as so many of his competitors often do.

Examples?  ???  I'm not sure what you mean. 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 01:32:01 PM »
Illegal immigration is the prime example, but we could talk about radical Islamic influence in America's political and cultural life or maybe about the politicizing of the U.S. military (hanging them out to dry as fallguys).  On the first topic O'Reilly can't dance fast enough as witness his samba with turncoat Lou Dobbs recently.  Then there's Hannity, who can only see illegals in terms of "national security."  Guys like Medved and Hewitt, highly intelligent both, also stop short when any serious solutions are floated by callers.  I've listened to all of these guys, and the fix is in.  As for topic number two, the old adage applies: follow the money.

"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.