Author Topic: Anyone else see this yesterday?  (Read 1770 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Anyone else see this yesterday?
« on: April 02, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/04/01/36658-army-looks-to-relocate-pentagon/index.html?ref=home-headline-title0?ref=home-headline-title0

Army looks to relocate Pentagon

Apr 1, 2010

By Army News Release
Pentagon moving to Kansas

Photo credit Coutesy

The proposed move will take the Pentagon from the banks of the Potomac River to northwest Kansas.

WASHINGTON (April 1, 2010) -- Top Army officials unveiled plans early today to relocate the massive Pentagon building to the western part of Kansas sometime this summer.

"This move will be a huge undertaking, but we determined it was a necessary step as we realign our force structure," said one of the Army's top generals.

"Once we started investigating the possibility of the move, we determined that it was not only critical to our efforts, but that it would be good for our employees and the environment," the general continued.

The move, which is tentatively being planned for this August, will be one of the greatest undertakings ever attempted, according to the Wilbur Q. Johnson, who is a long-time Pentagon employee and who will also oversee the move.

"The move will take place in three primary phases," said Johnson. "Initially we will use a giant crane to lift the building onto a barge in the Potomac River. From there we will float the barge down the Atlantic Coast and into the Gulf of Mexico. Then, we will sail the Pentagon up the Mississippi River to just south of St. Louis. In the final stage, we will place the building on large flat-bed trucks and drive it the rest of the way."

"We aren't announcing exactly when we are going to do this for security reasons," said Johnson, "and we aren't announcing the final location either for the same reasons."

Although the final location hasn't been announced, interstate traffic in Kansas will be affected. "Those who drive on the interstate can expect significant delays. During this move, I-70 in Kansas will be closed to all traffic," Johnson warned.

Those who work in the Pentagon will only experience minor disruptions, according to Johnson. "We have sought the advice of the Navy and determined that we can just treat the building like a big ship as we move. All of the employees will basically be expected to pack as if they were going on a two-week trip and they will then remain in the building for the duration of the move," Johnson explained.

"We will make sure that we store enough food and water for the workers on that journey," said Johnson. "Additionally, we will maintain Internet connectivity via satellite during the move and use generators and solar panels for power."

On the day the move begins, Pentagon workers will be strongly discouraged from driving to work, as they will be unable to retrieve their cars, Johnson explained. "But, we will give building workers at least 72 hours notice before the move, so they can make the appropriate plans."

Editor's Note - This is really just an April Fool's Day joke. Everything in this story is fictional, including seeking the advice of the Navy. Have a great day.

BWAHAHAHAHA!   

Though, really, they should start moving agencies (ideally including the Pentagon) out of DC area.  It's hideously expensive, commutes are nightmare, and it's not a good idea security wise to put so many eggs in one basket.

I notice the brass have been talking about this for years, but they still sign off on stuff moving to the DC area.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Anyone else see this yesterday?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
I'm suspicious of the date of this story.  I mean, just a few days ago we heard about this anti-gov. group in Michigan, and now they're moving the Pentagon?  Something tells me the brass are running scared.    [tinfoil]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »
I'm suspicious of the date of this story.  I mean, just a few days ago we heard about this anti-gov. group in Michigan, and now they're moving the Pentagon?  Something tells me the brass are running scared.    [tinfoil]

Ayep.  I hope Leatherneck doesn't get seasick.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
Also, why would they announce this on April first?  A lot of people probably thought it was a joke, and national defense is not something to joke about! 

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
fistful, you still haven't read the editors note yet, have you?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »
No, I didn't see that part, but the date of the story makes more sense now.  Obviously, it was a trial balloon.  Once they got some negative reaction from the tax-payers, they just decided to pass it off as an April Fools' joke.  Typical.   ;/

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »
No, I didn't see that part, but the date of the story makes more sense now.  Obviously, it was a trial balloon.  Once they got some negative reaction from the tax-payers, they just decided to pass it off as an April Fools' joke.  Typical.   ;/

Obviously it's a joke.  The Army asking the Navy for guidance?   Pffft!   Yea, right.    :-*

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »
Hey, with Don't ask Don't tell being eased, I think all the services will be looking to the Navy for expert guidance.  :-*
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
Move the building? Heh. No.

Moving the Pentagon personnel to a centralized location out in the middle of frakking nowhere?  Sound proposal.

Of course, what with ICBMs being par for the course and all, a centralized, landlocked location isn't what it used to be... but it'd certainly be an improvement.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 06:33:36 PM »
Kansas will never accept a Pentagram in their state  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »
Kansas will never accept a Pentagram in their state  =D

Why not, they already allow Fred Phelps in. [barf]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 12:32:31 AM »
They should make the Pentagon five independent space stations that orbit in a Kepler rosette.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 12:33:59 AM »
I have a bridge in Crowell, TX, I'll sell them.  Nice one, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 12:44:47 AM »
They should make the Pentagon five independent space stations that orbit in a Kepler rosette.
You mean Klemperer?  ;)

I was thinking something more of a polar graph of sin(5x), with, of course, a little extra space to keep them from colliding with the planet.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams