Author Topic: MacHeads, the movie  (Read 7084 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: MacHeads, the movie
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 06:42:07 PM »
In all fairness, though, there are some very competent programmers/hackers who have macbook pros as their primary computers.  

You're just saying that because of the girl on Veronica Mars.   :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

taurusowner

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »
I think the iron of it is that many Macheads flock to Apple because of the projected image of being hip, edgy, non conformist, etc.  When in fact Apple is just another tech corporation that focuses on the bottom line like everyone else.  Microsoft has their business users and gamers, and Mac has college kids and entertainment professionals.  They found their niche markets and orient their products for maximum profit in those markets.  The thing is, only Mac users have this illusion about their company actually caring about their personality or soul or whatever.  They even touched on it in the film.  When Apple was having poor sales, they of course turned to their core users.  But when sales spiked and new products like the iPod hit the market, Apple immediately marginalized those same core users.

Apple and Microsoft are in it for the $$.  Only Apple users seem to think this is untrue.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 07:14:03 PM »
I think the iron of it is that many Macheads flock to Apple because of the projected image of being hip, edgy, non conformist, etc.  When in fact Apple is just another tech corporation that focuses on the bottom line like everyone else.  Microsoft has their business users and gamers, and Mac has college kids and entertainment professionals.  They found their niche markets and orient their products for maximum profit in those markets.  The thing is, only Mac users have this illusion about their company actually caring about their personality or soul or whatever.  They even touched on it in the film.  When Apple was having poor sales, they of course turned to their core users.  But when sales spiked and new products like the iPod hit the market, Apple immediately marginalized those same core users.

Apple and Microsoft are in it for the $$.  Only Apple users seem to think this is untrue.
As far as the Macs being better for music and other entertainment stuff, I've yet to see a Mac that could out perform a PC in Photoshopping or video/music editing.
And then on top of that, Windows gets millions of free/shareware software that does most if not all of what Mac's propriety (and expensive) software does.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
True nonconformists use AmigaOS.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »
In all seriousness, I knew someone still using Amigas until about 7-8 years ago.  That was the last time I actually saw the box being used at their house.  For all I know, it still gets used.

Chris

erictank

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »
Indeed.
Windows has TONS of crap going for it.
I believe Linux has either the same amount or maybe more, but you might need to code some software to help Linux interact with it.
Apple?  You gotta buy Apple stuff.  I enjoyed the "Mac Triage."
When my PC breaks, I open it, fix it.  If I can't fix it, I order the part that's broke and fix it when it arrives.
When their Macs break, it's mail it off for a few weeks and pay billions of dollars for the new parts.

I especially like that picture of the Windows car (an old car) and the Apple car (Some fancy new thing).  The old car looks like you can work on it and change parts, the Apple car is one solid block of metal, how do you work on that?  How do you customize that?

Yup - I'm not Mr. Supergenius Computer Whiz, but I've built home computers for my own use, and passed them on to Mom when I upgraded, for FIFTEEN YEARS.  This gives me a degree of familiarity with the systems that most Mac users, IME, can't touch - since Apple doesn't want them cracking open the case for any reason whatsoever.  And I paid half of what said Mac users paid for their systems, for a more-powerful system.  Having a hard time seeing that as anything but a win in the PC column. 

Like Macs?  Good on ya.  Hope they continue to do everything you need, and do it well.  I'll stick with my PCs, thanks.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 08:48:44 PM »
True nonconformists use AmigaOS.

Chris

Ha! Brings back memories of the old Amiga / Atari wars back when I had an Atari ST. Just goes to show Mac vs PC is just a rehash of an eternal argument.

As I recall, the Amigas were really popular with the music/Midi set. I remember the Atari STs had probably the best implementation of the GEOS GUI. Made the Mac Plus (the one that fit in a carry case that looked like a big soft-sided cooler) GUI on the Mac I used at work at the time look positively prehistoric in comparison.

Interesting that at the time Apple was marketing that Mac Plus as a business machine and was actually trying to capture that audience more so than the "creative" crowd. The Mac Plus had a little grayscale screen and actually did look more like a business oriented machine. In fact if I recall correctly it took Macs a long time to go color.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 09:12:56 PM »
As I recall, the Amigas were really popular with the music/Midi set.

That's what he was using it for.  It lived in his studio.

Chris

taurusowner

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »
As far as the Macs being better for music and other entertainment stuff, I've yet to see a Mac that could out perform a PC in Photoshopping or video/music editing.
And then on top of that, Windows gets millions of free/shareware software that does most if not all of what Mac's propriety (and expensive) software does.

Well I can't speak to what may be better since I don't do that sort of thing.  But "Macs are great for video/photo editing" seems to be a pretty standard claim, and Apple has worked pretty hard to corned that market.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
Well I can't speak to what may be better since I don't do that sort of thing.  But "Macs are great for video/photo editing" seems to be a pretty standard claim, and Apple has worked pretty hard to corned that market.
Indeed, but look at a person using those programs on a Mac compared to a user on the PC.  There's no difference, except the PC was cheaper.
Plus, like I said, there's a plethora of freeware and shareware programs that can do the same thing as those super expensive Mac programs.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 09:45:35 PM »
Hey, I hear using a PC is a sign that you are smarter and better and tougher than anyone who uses a Mac.  Probably you have a bigger dick, too. 

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »
Hey, I hear using a PC is a sign that you are smarter and better and tougher than anyone who uses a Mac.  Probably you have a bigger dick, too. 
There's that, too.  Good point.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »
For example, she doesn't want her guns to be pink, with unicorns.   

Man, I'd love a pink AK. Although no unicorns.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 11:15:08 PM »
What are you, one o' them Mac-usin' nancy-boys?  

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »
XP on the wife's computer, ubuntoo on mine. :P

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 11:21:30 PM »

Hey, I've only been biased against Macs since one tried to kill me when I was a kid.

Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 11:29:45 PM »
I might as well admit that the guy who introduced me to my wife looks, dresses, and acts very much like John "PC" Hodgman.  That may explain why I like Windows.  Or not.   :lol:

I just found out yesterday that the guy who plays PC (and a few good film roles) is John Hodgman, whom I already knew as the author of The Areas of My Expertise

taurusowner

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2010, 11:36:34 PM »

Snark aside, are you saying that Mac users don't generally have a more "fanboy" attitude about their computers than PC users?  So far I have yet to meet a windows user who talking about it being some sort of "experience".  Or PC users who are under the illusion that Microsoft cares about anything but making a profit.  Many Mac users do have such opinions.  Are you presenting something that shows this to be false?  Perhaps another documentary that shows the Mac users in the one posted to be coerced or staged?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 11:51:50 PM »
Snark aside, are you saying that Mac users don't generally have a more "fanboy" attitude about their computers than PC users?  So far I have yet to meet a windows user who talking about it being some sort of "experience".  Or PC users who are under the illusion that Microsoft cares about anything but making a profit.  Many Mac users do have such opinions.  Are you presenting something that shows this to be false?  Perhaps another documentary that shows the Mac users in the one posted to be coerced or staged?
Even I'd like to defend Mac users by saying I find it hard to believe that there are people that weird or stupid in the world, but then again...
At least ALL of them aren't that weird.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2010, 11:52:52 PM »
This thread makes me miss Manedwolf.

And if you've never met a Windoze fanboi, you obviously don't goto church near Redmond.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 12:58:28 AM »
 So far I have yet to meet a windows user who talking about it being some sort of "experience".

Well, Mabs thinks it will make his penis increase in size.  Sounds like a helluva experience to me.

But aside from Mabs, yes, I have.  Either you are deeply in denial or you haven't spent much time around very many people.  Yes, many, many people use their PCs to validate their ideas about themselves.  Much the way some people insist on a large and powerful truck to get them to work despite any actual need for such a beast, PC users can regularly be found boasting about the power of their machines.  For an example of this, see this thread.  PC users can also be found boasting about their skills in tinkering with their machines, their skills with software, how "professional" their computers appear (again, for example, in this thread).

And yeah, if I had a buck for everyone who wants a X Brand computer because they're just the shiznit and then some, I'd be able to afford a couple shiny new Macs.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 01:11:40 AM »
PC users can also be found boasting about...how "professional" their computers appear (again, for example, in this thread).

You mean me?  Not a boast at all, in my case.  Just stating what appeals to me.  I'm not sure how much of a boast it could be, anyway.  As you probably know, "business desktop" is PC slang for barely-keeping-up-with-technology.

Concerning the size of certain items:

- This is supposed to be a family-friendly board.
- Any computer that gets spam mail can help with enlargement.   =)

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 01:24:03 AM »
- This is supposed to be a family-friendly board.

Oh, I'm sorry, I figgered that calling Mac users "faggots" kinda' opened the field.  Never mind then.

You mean me?  Not a boast at all, in my case.  Just stating what appeals to me superficial, image-based criteria I use for choosing a computer.  I'm not sure how much of a boast it could be, anyway.  As you probably know, "business desktop" is PC slang for barely-keeping-up-with-technology.

Ftfy.

But you're probably the only person in this conversation professional enough to use a computer.  :-*

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 02:00:33 AM »
superficial, image-based criteria I use for choosing a computer.

Yes.  Like I said, "what appeals to me."  I didn't say that the professional image made Windows better, did I?  And as I said earlier, "I'm not really qualified to do the OS wars."  I've never said that Windows is better, because I don't know.  

Oh, I'm sorry, I figgered that calling Mac users "faggots" kinda' opened the field.  

Well, no it didn't.    
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:20:22 AM by fistful »

taurusowner

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 02:17:32 AM »
Oh, I'm sorry, I figgered that calling Mac users "faggots" kinda' opened the field.  Never mind then.

Care to quote the post that said Mac users are faggots?