Author Topic: Calling all garage door experts!!  (Read 3957 times)

Bob F.

• friend
Calling all garage door experts!!
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »
Freaking door is driving me nuts! Will work fine for a while, then it goes on the fritz!!Opens fine but ya' gotta hold the hardwired button down to close. It has the "magic eye" safety. I've cleaned, alinged, and checked connections. No real relationship to the weather. ically, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Any suggestions?

Everytime I get pissed and get ready to spring for a new one, it works fine :facepalm:

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Calling all garage door experts!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:55:04 PM »
Gremlins.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:58:01 PM »
what brand?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:51:03 PM »
Beat it with a broom stick. See if it has a cold solder on the board or something.

I'm not an expert. ;)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:58:58 PM »
mine gets weird when the sun angle is upon the eye sensor

you can extend the sensor wires and see if the door functions with the sensors taped together
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:30:33 PM »
Whats the brand and about how old?

sanman

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:21:28 PM »
Mine detects an obsticle when it hits or thinks it hits an object while closing. If you have that functionality as well, could be a bit of drag on the mech/rails could fool it. Wouldn't take a whole lot.

Just thinking out loud.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 11:45:05 PM »
mine gets weird when the sun angle is upon the eye sensor

you can extend the sensor wires and see if the door functions with the sensors taped together

Mine too.  About this time of year.  Every year.

Bob, is the "not work" portion particular to any time of day?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 12:37:29 AM »
Quick!  Is there a Mennonite in the house?

No...No, I don't imagine there is...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 12:38:27 AM »

Yup. That's what we did when I helped my parents install their garage door (it had a laser sensor).  It's good if you have kids, but otherwise it's kind of useless, so we just taped the two units together and mounted them right above the motor.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 01:18:13 AM »
just a thought. if it's the sun, something like this might help. =)

<--- just had the pic. :angel:

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 02:41:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's a Sears Craftsman, 1/3 HP. Maybe about 100 yrs old!! It does also have the pressure switch and the sun does hit one "laser" sensor or the other depending on time of day. BUT,it happens at night and in any kind of weather, usually for several days or weeks at a time in either mode, working or not.

Now, I'm not sure how to wire both sensors together. I'd go for that in a heartbeat and expect it would cure the problem. Somebody give me a simple schematic? There's only one pair to each sensor, it can't be that hard and I do have a voltmeter.

Thanks,
Bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 02:50:17 PM »
Oh.

Second possibility is the pressure sensing mechanism is getting a little flaky.  Have you tried turning up the down-force side to see if it cures the problem?

If it really is toast, you can get a dual lamp 1/2 hp Craftsman refurb from Sears, complete with two remotes and a door pad, for under $175.  Install it yourself in about two hours.  I did mine right before Christmas.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's a Sears Craftsman, 1/3 HP. Maybe about 100 yrs old!! It does also have the pressure switch and the sun does hit one "laser" sensor or the other depending on time of day. BUT,it happens at night and in any kind of weather, usually for several days or weeks at a time in either mode, working or not.

Now, I'm not sure how to wire both sensors together. I'd go for that in a heartbeat and expect it would cure the problem. Somebody give me a simple schematic? There's only one pair to each sensor, it can't be that hard and I do have a voltmeter.

Thanks,
Bob
Sears Craftsman, 1/3 HP. Maybe about 100 yrs old!!

When it acts up does the light bulb blink on and off(or click if bulb is burnt out)? Blinking about 8 times is a signal something is wrong with the eyes.

If it's a hundred years old and has photo eyes then they are the type with a thru bolt holding them to the bracket. For the first couple years since '92 Chamberlin(makers of craftsman) had a really crappy design that involved the wires using plug connectors on the backs of the photo eyes. Very common point of trouble, check that first. If you can wiggle the wire coming into the photo eye and make the led light flicker then clean those little pins inside the photo eye, and spread them slightly so the plug holds on tight. If the wire goes directly into the photo eye then go to..

Next step, check the wire connections on the head unit.

Next, check that your door works smoothly by hand and is balanced. If it is check the sensitivities(little knobs on head labeled 1-9). On a properly adjusted door they should be set at about 5 or 6. Sometimes if set to low that can cause intermittent problems(will not cause light to blink).

If still no joy then I'm afraid you most likely have a logic board problem, or possibly the photo eyes themselves(sending unit also has a board inside). At this point, I'd try a new set of eyes or logic board, or I'd just sell you a new one.

As far as wiring the photo eyes for a chamberlin, on both eyes wire with the stripe goes to terminal 3(black) on the head and white wire goes to terminal 2(white). It won't hurt it if you get it backwards it just won't work.

If it really is toast, you can get a dual lamp 1/2 hp Craftsman refurb from Sears, complete with two remotes and a door pad, for under $175.  Install it yourself in about two hours.
=D I'm sure yours turned out great but you have no idea how much money I make repairing operators the home owner "just replaced" cause he didn't take care or notice a bigger problem and screwed his new op up.

I'll admit I'm probably biased, but the crap you will buy from any hardware store is exactly that, crap. Take your $175 or so and go to your local garage door dealer and buy an op from him carry out. Buy something with a solid 1pc T rail and a full chain for roughly the same price. Stick with Chamberlin, they make about a million different brands but most 90% of the parts are interchangable. Makes for cheaper repairs down the road.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
Stick with Chamberlin, they make about a million different brands but most 90% of the parts are interchangable. Makes for cheaper repairs down the road.

Craftsman is made by Chamberlain.  The $175 I mentioned was for the single-piece-rail full-chain unit.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:10:35 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
Craftsman is made by Chamberlain. The $175 I mentioned was for the single-piece-rail full-chain unit.

yeah I said that above, was just trying to encourage him to get the most bang for his buck by sticking with chamberlin and not buying the do it yourself special.
Typically the ops at the hardware store are designed with 'fitting on the shelf at the store' in mind ala sectional rails. Sounds like you got a refurbished contractor grade model. =)

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 06:54:37 PM »

Typically the ops at the hardware store are designed with 'fitting on the shelf at the store' in mind ala sectional rails. Sounds like you got a refurbished contractor grade model. =)

Nope, exactly the same model, right down to the rev number, as the ones sitting on the showroom.  The only diff was this one was in a white box and I had to download my own instruction sheets.  It had a refurb sticker on it, but looked like the only original part was the chassis and cover.  Everything else appeared new, including the adjusters and stops.

Brad
-HankB

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 07:18:29 PM »
Nope, exactly the same model, right down to the rev number, as the ones sitting on the showroom.
Cool they were selling contractor grade units then. You can go to Lowes or its equivalent right now and most of the operators they will sell you, including Craftsman, will have a sectional rail and chain/cable. That is what to avoid.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 08:39:41 PM »
Eyebrows: yeah, the light blinks off & on.I'm off tomorrow; may have to carry the 'puter out to the garage! =D Seriously, I'll follow your troubleshoot and see how it goes.

Up above, when they wre talking about "extending" the wires, it sounded like they were shorting across the safety. Striped wire to striped wire?

Thanks.
Bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
Mine is a Sears. When it acts like that, I usually find a spider web in front of one sensor or the other.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »
Up above, when they wre talking about "extending" the wires, it sounded like they were shorting across the safety. Striped wire to striped wire?
Nope they just mounted the eyes somewhere else(like the ceiling) and maybe added some wire.
Each eye on a chamberlin will have two wires. Factory wires will be one with a black stripe and one solid white. Just connect em to terminals 2(white) and 3(stripe).
Unfortunatly, any chamberlin manufactured after '92 will not operate normally without functioning photo eyes in the system. There is no way to 'trick' it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 09:43:48 PM »
Cool they were selling contractor grade units then. You can go to Lowes or its equivalent right now and most of the operators they will sell you, including Craftsman, will have a sectional rail and chain/cable. That is what to avoid.

They had the lesser units, multi-section and chain cable, but I got the better one because I... know better.

Installing one isn't complicated at all presuming you have some basic mechanical savvy and take the time to follow the mfgs instructions.  The ones I see that make me shudder are the ones that are obviously misaligned, misadjusted, or overtly "southern engineered.  I see a fair number of them, too, in my business.

As much as I like doing things like this myself, I always recommend that clients have one professionally installed if, for no other reason, reduction in liability and assumption of some kind of installation warranty.

Brad
-HankB

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »
Eyebrows: OK, I understand about the sensors. Thanks. Just went out and messed w/ the sensors again. Noticed the little green indicator light on one wasn't burning. Wiggled the wires--FIXED!!!!

Thanks, gang. You've come thru yet again!!

Bob

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 02:04:22 PM »
the shaking prolly made it disconnect

make sure theres some slack in the drip line connection
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »
Eyebrows: OK, I understand about the sensors. Thanks. Just went out and messed w/ the sensors again. Noticed the little green indicator light on one wasn't burning. Wiggled the wires--FIXED!!!!

Thanks, gang. You've come thru yet again!!

Bob

Okay, so when is the "Thank You" beer bash and BBQ?

Brad
-HankB