Author Topic: VAT... whispers of a VAT from Obama lackey  (Read 5408 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
VAT... whispers of a VAT from Obama lackey
« on: April 07, 2010, 02:36:08 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6355N520100406

Volcker: Taxes likely to rise eventually to tame deficit
NEW YORK
Tue Apr 6, 2010 7:57pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The United States should consider raising taxes to help bring deficits under control and may need to consider a European-style value-added tax, White House adviser Paul Volcker said on Tuesday.

Volcker, answering a question from the audience at a New York Historical Society event, said the value-added tax "was not as toxic an idea" as it has been in the past and also said a carbon or other energy-related tax may become necessary.

Though he acknowledged that both were still unpopular ideas, he said getting entitlement costs and the U.S. budget deficit under control may require such moves. "If at the end of the day we need to raise taxes, we should raise taxes," he said.

Value Added Tax:  A surcharge placed by a government entity on a good or service each time it is transferred from one consumer/producer to another consumer/producer.  Essentially, a transaction tax that eclipses even end-consumer sales taxes and inserts itself into the supply line transactions for corporations, your ISP and telephone bill, and the cost of your plumber to fix your leaky pipes.

"Not as toxic an idea" is meant to mean:  They would lynch us for VAT before Obamacare.  Now Obamacare is our party's death knell, and VAT just doesn't matter other than the fact that we like to hurt economic progress and a VAT creates more recession and slower recovery, resulting in more government "need" to pay out entitlements.

I can't believe that these people won't man up and address revenue streams BEFORE addressing new spending.  Commit to debt, then double-whammy the tax payors that DON'T WANT THIS CRAP with a tax on top of the insulting legislation.  Argh. :facepalm:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

• friend
Re: VAT... whispers of a VAT from Obama lackey
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 05:42:58 AM »
We're broke- they will have to do something.

But they won't raise taxes.  It'll be called a Value Added Fee or something.  And millions will get a subsidy to pay for it so they aren't affected by it.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:55:48 AM »
Now that didn't take long, did it?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:17:14 AM »
...he said getting entitlement costs and the U.S. budget deficit under control may require such moves.

Here's a novel thought: Move the nation away from the entitlement mentality and *gasp* spend less! Wait, you mean I'm not the only one who's thought of this?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:34:36 AM »
The FAIR tax is related to the VAT tax, except it's collected entirely from the end purchaser, rather than tacked on at each part of the chain, essentially, it would be a consumption tax - a rich guy that spends 1000x what Joe Sixpack spends would pay 1000x the tax.

The rate would be fairly high - just under 20% - but as explained by its proponents, it would be a REPLACEMENT for the income and FICA taxes, which would simply go away. (As would a good part of the Federal tax bureaucracy, saving us beaucoup dollars.  =D )

The VAT tax that Obamites are considering would be AN ADDITION to the income tax. <expletive> <expletive> <string of expletives>
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:01:31 AM »
I'm fine with implementing a VAT so long as the 16th Amendment is repealed first.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I'm fine with implementing a VAT so long as the 16th Amendment is repealed first.

Fat chance. New taxes are added, but old taxes are never removed.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »
Fat chance. New taxes are added, but old taxes are never removed.

Quite. Which is why my statement stands.

Sort of like "a cold day in hell".

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »
Form what I understand, since a VAT is implemented at each stage of production, it's effect is much greater than an equivalent sales tax. 

How many laws has the Obama administration "talked" about so far and how many are they seriously trying to pass? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »
Can anyone say "Black Market" ?  ;/

Oh great... now there will be swat teams breaking down your door to see if you have any non-taxed items in your possession  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 11:50:45 AM »
the only way to do a vat at this level is to for all money be converted electric. [tinfoil]

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:56:10 AM »
the only way to do a vat at this level is to for all money be converted electric. [tinfoil]

You think people won't find a black market means around that?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 12:02:19 PM »
with cash? no not really. gold maybe, and goods sure, but there are other things that come(at least according to some religions [popcorn]) with the ecash. :angel:

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 12:13:31 PM »
with cash? no not really. gold maybe, and goods sure, but there are other things that come(at least according to some religions [popcorn]) with the ecash. :angel:

Silver is easier to get a hold of in any quantity. Thoughts from the more knowledgeable in the realm of intrinsic worth?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »
They will push to get as much as they can before November.  They will go to the congresscritters that signed their own death warrants with Obamacare, and tell them might as well go all the way, you've jumped off the cliff, lets get as much as we can before we hit bottom.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 12:15:28 PM »
The VAT won't stop this country from going broke.  It's just the next drug of choice.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 12:17:13 PM »
Silver is easier to get a hold of in any quantity. Thoughts from the more knowledgeable in the realm of intrinsic worth?
i was using gold as shorthand for "valuable metal" [popcorn] isn't that the way most of us use it? :facepalm:

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 12:23:33 PM »
i was using gold as shorthand for "valuable metal" [popcorn] isn't that the way most of us use it? :facepalm:

No, I use "material of intrinsic value" or more simply "barter item" for that purpose. I use "gold" when I mean the actual metal gold.  :laugh:  Don't feel bad, I'm just weird like that.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
The next 4 years will be a litmus test for the GOP.

Especially if this:

They will push to get as much as they can before November.  They will go to the congresscritters that signed their own death warrants with Obamacare, and tell them might as well go all the way, you've jumped off the cliff, lets get as much as we can before we hit bottom.

comes to pass.  Obamacare, VAT, Illegal Amnesty, might as well throw in some gun control for good measure.  Maybe some gerrymandering, too.

I acknowledge that repeal of this stuff while Obama is in office is problematic.

However:  he needs to be stopped COLD in 2011, and removed from office in 2012.  The GOP needs to make efforts to repeal or defund a lot of this stuff while in control of the House and in less dire straits in the Senate, and they need to field a REAL CANDIDATE for POTUS... not Rudy McRomney again.

And that POTUS, if/when he wins, needs to take initiative to strike this $#!+ off the books of USC in his first 90 days of office.

Anything less than that means the dramatic decline of this country and the retirement of the GOP as a meaningful alternative to the Democrats.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »
They need amnesty and gerrymandering.  They will try desperately to create more (D) districts between Amnesty and the Census this year.  Even if we clean house in 2010, it's not over.  The Stupid party needs to stick it out and repeal and roll back as much as they can from at least the last two administrations (including GWB's idiocy).  I personally don't think they have the balls.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 03:54:44 PM »
If the GOP doesn't become the party of NO and doesn't start undoing/unfunding parts of the .gov, they will go the way of the Whigs.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 03:58:42 PM »
They need amnesty and gerrymandering.  They will try desperately to create more (D) districts between Amnesty and the Census this year.  Even if we clean house in 2010, it's not over.  The Stupid party needs to stick it out and repeal and roll back as much as they can from at least the last two administrations (including GWB's idiocy).  I personally don't think they have the balls.

Gerrymandering is done at a state level, I believe. If you want to stop that, make sure you have good representatives in your state legislature.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
Though he acknowledged that both were still unpopular ideas, he said getting entitlement costs and the U.S. budget deficit under control may require such moves. "If at the end of the day we need to raise taxes, we should raise taxes," he said.

BULLSHIT. They haven't got any intention of paying for the costs with these taxes...they will just vote for more and more spending.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »
Counting on the GOP is like trying to stop a tank with a 9-iron.

They are stuck on nice.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 07:55:07 PM »
Gerrymandering is done at a state level, I believe. If you want to stop that, make sure you have good representatives in your state legislature.
Those states subject to the Voting Rights Act (which curiously approximates the Confederacy) makes fed.gov the overseer of all things voting in subject states.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon