Author Topic: Bypass the anti-lock brake module?  (Read 98282 times)

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Bypass the anti-lock brake module?
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2010, 12:28:55 AM »
I don't think I needed the valve at all, but it's installed so I am not messing with it.  I think I have it set at 5% or so.  It is s single inlet / outlet valve.  I don't remember what brand it is, but it was $45 from Summit Racing and it showed up in the mail the next day.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2010, 01:15:26 AM »
One more reason I'm looking for a clean, low-mileage Jeep Cherokee ... withOUT ABS. In a Cherokee, "traction control" is a function of how hard I press with my right foot. Which is the way it should be.

http://www.quirkauto.com/uvdetail.php?VIN=19970&STOCKNUM=CB455801

Under 40,000 miles. Just about perfect shape. They're asking $7500. I'd offer $6500 because I wouldn't pay an extra $1000 finder's-fee.

ReyRey82

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »
Hello Declaration Day! I have a Module that has just gone bad on me for the second time and I REALLY could use your help Please and Thank you in advance. What were the thread Pitch sizes and what size brake line and ho long? How did your brakes feel after the modification? Have you driven in the snow since the delete?
 I really appreciate the help and any advice is totally helpful too. Thank you Thank you.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »
OK, crazy thought, but why not trying some sort of sealant on the outside body of the valve since it's letting air leak in?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2016, 11:01:47 AM »
OK, crazy thought, but why not trying some sort of sealant on the outside body of the valve since it's letting air leak in?

A full tube of silicone, followed by a roll of Gorilla Tape ought to hold it.

Failing that, you should be able to pick up an entire wrecked vehicle for $500 or less with a good module.  Strip off what you want and scrap the rest to recover some of the cost.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2016, 05:04:42 PM »
My '97 Subaru was reconstructed from a total loss wreck and the ABS was bypassed.  Yes, the ABS light is on all the time.

But at one point I had an Audi where you could manually shut off the ABS.  In testing in snowpack, I found that I could actually stop better with manual feathering of the brakes than with the ABS on.

Granted (A) the tests were not in a "panic situation"; and (B) this was a first iteration of ABS systems, so maybe they've tuned the feedback loops better nowadays, but I thought I'd mention this.

Actually, I found it better to (A) leave more space between me and the next car in line; and (B) drive 1/4 mile ahead of my car; and (C) don't drive in the snow when avoidable.

Terry, who nowadays drives like a 15 year old girl on a learner's permit, until Daddy takes the T-bird away.

REF:
https://youtu.be/JK7DA0FliIs
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:43:49 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2016, 05:12:26 PM »
Actually, I found it better to (A) leave more space between me and the next car in line; and (B) drive 1/4 mile ahead of my car; and (C) don't drive in the snow when avoidable.

So who's driving your car if you're a quarter of a mile out in front of it? Doesn't it get cold out there?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2016, 06:03:16 PM »
Meh, that was just a lousy post.  I found my posting quality varies and I guess I'm heading into a nadir on that.  Happens when I feel "chatty" and just post for the sake of posting.

Actually, that's something I taught my sons --to not simply pay attention to the car in front of you.  You have to take a wholistic attitude when driving.  Like reading the pavement.  You see some tire streaks?  Watch it.  There've been "incidents" at that point in the past, so alert up.  Watch your six.  And nine.  And three.  And especially noon.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2016, 12:06:53 AM »
Meh, that was just a lousy post.  I found my posting quality varies and I guess I'm heading into a nadir on that.  Happens when I feel "chatty" and just post for the sake of posting.

Actually, that's something I taught my sons --to not simply pay attention to the car in front of you.  You have to take a wholistic attitude when driving.  Like reading the pavement.  You see some tire streaks?  Watch it.  There've been "incidents" at that point in the past, so alert up.  Watch your six.  And nine.  And three.  And especially noon.

Smith System:

Aim High In Steering        Look 15 seconds down the road ahead of you.
Get The Big Picture          Look all around you too.  Use your mirrors.
Keep Your Eyes Moving     Don't fixate on one thing.  Move your eyes about every 2 seconds.
Leave Room                    Leave escape/maneuvering room all around your vehicle.
Make Sure They See You   Communicate with other users of the road.

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2016, 04:25:47 AM »
^ Very good.  Encompassed in my "watch your six, nine, three and noon."

"Make Sure They See You   Communicate with other users of the road."

Which is why I change lanes very slowly.  I told one of my sons that "I signal with my whole car."  

I have my own system of dealing with tailgaters, which I will iterate on request, but I wondered what techniques you use, Doggy Daddy.

Terry

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2016, 07:52:57 AM »
^ Very good.  Encompassed in my "watch your six, nine, three and noon."

Terry

Thanky, but I can't take credit.  Those are the "5 Keys" to the "Smith System" of defensive driving.  I was certified to teach that system some years back.  These days I teach another system that works along the same lines called "LLLC".

Look Ahead
Look Around
Leave Room
Communicate

I have my own system of dealing with tailgaters, which I will iterate on request, but I wondered what techniques you use, Doggy Daddy.

Terry

Slow down gradually  =D to encourage them to pass.  If they don't take the hint, I make sure to increase my following distance behind the vehicle in front of me so that I can brake even more gradually than normal so as to give the knucklehead behind me more reaction time so he/she won't hit my ass.

Which is why I change lanes very slowly.  I told one of my sons that "I signal with my whole car."  

Terry

Being a 3rd party tester/certifier, I have to recertify on a regular basis with our DMV.  Part of the recert (which is done with a group of 3rd party certifiers all recerting together) is to take turns acting the part of a testee as the others all score.  Naturally, all scorers should come up with the same, or close, score.  When acting the part of the driver, we are asked to make some "safe" mistakes to see if the testers catch them.  For me, that would include things like rolling over the sidewalk at turns, aggressively waving at attractive pedestrians, etc.  One of my favorite "subtle" mistakes is to take an abnormally long time to change lanes. Like maybe a mile.  Earns an "auto-fail" pretty much every time.   >:D

I teach students that a lane change in a commercial vehicle should take about 5 seconds from the time you turn the wheel to move over until you turn the wheel back to straighten out.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2016, 03:56:59 PM »
Keep Your Eyes Moving     Don't fixate on one thing.  Move your eyes about every 2 seconds.

This a good gif to demonstrate a big reason why you need to keep your eyes moving. Motion-induced blindness.

Start at the center blinking green dot, not letting your eyes move at all. After a bit you will notice some or all of the yellow dots disappearing. Usually takes 5-7 seconds for the yellow dots to disappear for me.

This is how cars traveling at your same speed can appear to "come from nowhere" when they start moving laterally.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2016, 08:08:43 PM »
Wow, someone resurrected my ancient thread, so I guess I'll post a follow-up.  The bypass worked perfectly.  It just drove like a vehicle with no ABS, which is perfectly easy for those of us who know how to drive.  I traded the truck in less than a year after the modification, for unrelated reasons.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »
This a good gif to demonstrate a big reason why you need to keep your eyes moving. Motion-induced blindness.

Start at the center blinking green dot, not letting your eyes move at all. After a bit you will notice some or all of the yellow dots disappearing. Usually takes 5-7 seconds for the yellow dots to disappear for me.

This is how cars traveling at your same speed can appear to "come from nowhere" when they start moving laterally.

Now I'm gonna have to experiment with projecting that in front of the class.  I like it!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2016, 12:43:07 AM »

• When I was driving down to MIL's house for Thanksgiving, I wasn't moving my eyes around like I should and I saw the car in front of me driving 20 MPH on the interstate (I was going 65 or 70) at the same time my wife yelled at me.  I honestly don't know whether I really saw it, or if I would have ran into him if she hadn't hollered at me.

• I'm not quite drunk but I have had quite a bit to drink tonight (I wouldn't drive like this) and the yellow dots don't disappear like they did when I was totally sober.  Not sure what that means, but it's interesting.
"It's good, though..."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2016, 10:43:15 AM »
My SWAGs are that either that your eyes were moving around due to nystagmus, or that the alcohol impairs the part of your brain that does the active "deletion" of visual objects it decides are low-priority.