Author Topic: Polish President and other top officials dead in plane crash  (Read 6876 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Polish President and other top officials dead in plane crash
« on: April 10, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
It is on all the major news sources.  Several aides and military officials were also on board.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Polish President and other top officials dead in plane crash
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »

Ouch.  Most likely an accident, he was flying on a Tupelov Tu-154.

International Air Transport Association statistics show that Western-built jets crash at a rate of .81 (one loss per 1.2 million flights).  Eastern-built planes at 12.11 (one loss per 83,000 flights).  It's not just the planes themselves of course.  It's also the infrastructure, strictness of regulations, general levels of training, etc.  I have a feeling the Poland's President was simply and sadly brought down by lack of strict maintenance.

I hope PZL Mielec wasn't the maintenance contractor...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 01:28:58 PM »
Looks like pilot error this early in the game.

I hope that Poland can swifty restablish leadership for their nation.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »
According to news reports, an alternate landing site was suggested to the pilot by ATC.  There was fog at the intended destination.  He elected to land, anyway.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 01:36:24 PM »
Honestly, when I read the article, I felt like there was some Russian funny business going on. It just felt like there was some sort of message being sent.

The Polish and Russian gov'ts have not gotten along since the 90s; they were on route to a memorial of Polish massacres at the hands of the Russians, in Russian airspace. Putin was supposed to meet them there. Putin is the head of the investigative committee. Poland isn't a 3rd world country, and it was thier "air force 1" flying. Not some shoestring airliner.

It just doesn't add up to me.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »

Ok, read up a bit more and started calling Polish aviation folks.

The dead are the following:  Kaczysnki (president), his wife, Aleksander Szczyglo (Head of National Security Bureau), Jerzy Szmajdzinski (deputy parliament speaker), Andrzej Kremer (Deputy Foreign Minister), Gen. Franciszek Gagor (army chief of staff), Slawomir Skrzypek (National Bank of Poland), Janusz Kurtyka — (National Remembrance Institute, national anti-communist organization), some lawmakers, aids, priests, etc.

It crashed in Smolensk, Russia.  Cause is currently thought to be fog on the landing approach and the pilot error.  The last overhaul was done by Aviakor in Samara, Russia in December. 

Of all the ironies, the plane was on the way to the Katyn massacre site.  Putin has gone to the crash site and is "heading" the investigation in person.  Considering that a huge chunk of the Polish leadership just died in Russia, on the way to a Russian atrocity site, this is not exactly surprising. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 01:44:09 PM »
The Polish and Russian gov'ts have not gotten along since the 90s; they were on route to a memorial of Polish massacres at the hands of the Russians, in Russian airspace. Putin was supposed to meet them there. Putin is the head of the investigative committee. Poland isn't a 3rd world country, and it was thier "air force 1" flying. Not some shoestring airliner.

Actually, this is more or less exactly what it was.  The Presidential Tupolev Tu-154 was supposed to be retired, but there were funding issues.  

Yes, it's REALLY friggin bad news that it crashed on Russian soil.  And just about the WORST friggin place it could have crashed on Russian soil was at Katyn.  

No country on the planet does the quality work of 89th Airlift Wing does for Air Force one and HMX-1 does for Marine One.  The levels of maintenance done on POTUS aircraft is amazing.  Pretty much every consumable part is replaced at half of normal manufacturer suggested intervals.  It's not a good idea to compare 89th and HMX-1 to every other country's Presidential aircraft maintenance unit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:49:01 PM by RevDisk »

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Honestly, when I read the article, I felt like there was some Russian funny business going on. It just felt like there was some sort of message being sent.
My initial thought as well given bad feelings, especially when Eastern Europe snubbed the Russians with missile defense prior to Obama leaving them hanging.

However, there's currently no evidence of it and I've lost that feeling once the initial headline reaction passed.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »
Can a Tu-154 land on autopilot?  Did that airport not have the necessary nav beacons?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »
My initial thought as well given bad feelings, especially when Eastern Europe snubbed the Russians with missile defense prior to Obama leaving them hanging.

However, there's currently no evidence of it and I've lost that feeling once the initial headline reaction passed.

Once I read that the pilot tried to land a Tu-154 on a non-ILS airfield in the fog after ATC told him to divert to Moscow or Minsk, that was all I needed. 

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
WTF?  Who was flying that aircraft?  I'd be interested in the crew's service records.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
It is on all the major news sources.  Several aides and military officials were also on board.

I've seen the "we're in teh end-times" nutters chattering about it.  Appearently it matches something in some Joel Rosenberg thriller.

(I am not kidding.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
Too bad, Poland has been a pretty staunch ally. And that's a big swath of their top leadership. I wonder what the procedures for establishing new leadership are in Poland?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »
The crash, apparently, happened on their 4th landing attempt. Looks like they were too low and clipped a tree with a wing. They hit just a few hundred feet short of the runway. On one of the Russian boards there is a guy who said he can see the approach from his window in normal visibility (he couldn't at the time of the crash). He heard the crash and a sudden change in engine sound just before, like the pilot saw ground and tried to pull up.

The speculation at this point is that the pilot was ordered by the brass to land. There was a previous incident where the Polish presidential plane did not land at the intended destination because the pilot deemed it unsafe and the president was publicly displeased. He may have got a more agreeable pilot after that. Incidentally, Minsk was a politically unacceptable place for them to go since Poland recently declared that they would not allow the Belarussian president to enter Poland.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 04:57:04 PM »
Oh, lovely.  Did the Polish president and other government officials stay in a Holiday Inn last night, if they were in fact ordering the Captain around?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 05:38:40 PM »
Putin investigating this? Isn't there a Fox somewhere investigating a raid at a Hen house?
Isn't it true that the Russians killed more the a few muck raking journalist and whistle blowers?
imho, there's something really suspicious about this.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »
It's fairly reasonable to have the highest official you can come up with investigating the death of most of a foreign government. I also doubt that the Russian government would do something so brazen. Soviet Union might have, but it's a much less powerful country now.

Holiday Inn is a definite possibility, even if they didn't order the pilot around. Seriously, packing that much brass into a single plane - what could possibly be wrong with that?  Incidentally, Russia learned this lesson somewhere around 1980 when a plane crash killed the commander of a fleet and his entire staff. High ranking officers and their next-in-line subordinates are not allowed to share flights.

The latest news is that flight recorders have been recovered. No word on what they contain yet.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 07:29:47 PM »
No country on the planet does the quality work of 89th Airlift Wing does for Air Force one and HMX-1 does for Marine One.  The levels of maintenance done on POTUS aircraft is amazing.  Pretty much every consumable part is replaced at half of normal manufacturer suggested intervals.  It's not a good idea to compare 89th and HMX-1 to every other country's Presidential aircraft maintenance unit.

I was just thinking that the US could save a lot of money in these hard times by contracting out that work to Russia ...  =|

>:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 07:40:35 PM »
I was just thinking that the US could save a lot of money in these hard times by contracting out that work to Russia ...  =|

They could save a lot of money by employing Americans willing to work at reduced pay, too.  :mad:

Sorry, it's a sore spot for me.  =|
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »
They could save a lot of money by employing Americans willing to work at reduced pay, too.  :mad:

Sorry, it's a sore spot for me.  =|

I think you missed an important point in there.

Regardless of how suspicious it may look, those airplanes are still flown by human pilots capable of human error. Even the pilots who fly for national heads of state.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 08:31:19 PM »

They just about did, Tallpine.  They wanted to buy VH-71 as the replacement POTUS helicopters, which is a AgustaWestland AW101 (formerly EH101) which would actually be made in Yeovil, England and Vergiate, Italy.  The price tag went up to nearly half a billion per airframe, at only a few aircraft delivered. 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 09:44:37 PM »
I think you missed an important point in there.

You beat me to it.  :lol:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »
They just about did, Tallpine.  They wanted to buy VH-71 as the replacement POTUS helicopters, which is a AgustaWestland AW101 (formerly EH101) which would actually be made in Yeovil, England and Vergiate, Italy.  The price tag went up to nearly half a billion per airframe, at only a few aircraft delivered. 

Well, I actually did some work for Westland (indirectly, but for one of their products).

But that really wasn't my point.  A few people got it ...  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 10:04:01 PM »
I get blinded by rage easily.  :cool:   :facepalm:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »
I wrote my thesis on the Katyn Massacre. There is still so much anger between Poland and Russia over Katyn/the other massacres...

Damn, this is just strange...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!