Author Topic: Windows License Error?  (Read 1673 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Windows License Error?
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:54:23 PM »
Anyone seen this before?:

"error prevented Windows from accurately checking the licenses for this computer" error code 0X800700C1

For fixes, via the Microsoft site I tried:

Boot to Safe mode by hitting F8 as the system first begins to load.
> From the
> boot menu, choose it from the options. Logon as administrator.
>
> Start/run regsvr32 regwizc.dll
> Then start/run regsvr32 licdll.dll/

No results. I then tried:

/Reset the default security provider in Windows XP
> To reset the default security provider in Windows XP, delete the
> relevant registry keys in the Windows registry. To do this, follow
> these steps:
>
>    1. Start the computer. Press the F8 key during startup to start the
> computer in Safe mode.
>    2. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
>    3. Delete the following registry keys in the Windows registry:
>       HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
>       HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
>    4. Quit Registry Editor.
>    5. Restart the computer./

I wasn't able to complete the above as the registry files they had me look for are not there (I get to cryptography, but nothing is listed there).

Any other ideas anyone can think of to try before I have to reimage the stupid machine?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Windows License Error?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 06:14:53 PM »
I would recommend installing linux.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 06:17:18 PM »
I would recommend installing linux.

Sounds good. Write a letter to your Congressman and tell them to switch the government to Linux.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »
been there done that. :facepalm: but really it would save a small fortune of tax, err the china-man's money. :angel:

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »
What context are you getting the error in?  Is this a terminal server licensing thing, a workstation, a new server OS installation...?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »
It's a Dell Precision laptop with a standard WinXP image my agency uses. Happens on logon. You can log in, but then it pops that message up, goes to "logging off" and then just freezes. It does the same thing when logging into Safe Mode / Networking. I can only get into XP in standard or command line Safe Mode.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with an Epolicy Orchestrator update our HQ pushed out to all field sites since it started the next day.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »
It's a Dell Precision laptop with a standard WinXP image my agency uses. Happens on logon. You can log in, but then it pops that message up, goes to "logging off" and then just freezes. It does the same thing when logging into Safe Mode / Networking. I can only get into XP in standard or command line Safe Mode.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with an Epolicy Orchestrator update our HQ pushed out to all field sites since it started the next day.

Can it communicate on the network while in safe mode with networking?  If it needs to validate something with an active directory server it might be choking on that.

If not that, I'd try a system restore, just in case it was something installed recently.  If the laptop is new I'd re-image and save the time wasted on trouble-shooting (assuming the network hardware seems functional).

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
"Restore to Last Known Good Configuration" or whatever that option is when you hit F8 on boot.

Try that out.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 07:42:51 PM »
Can it communicate on the network while in safe mode with networking?

No, it will only load without the stop error in non-networking mode. If I could have gotten it to the interwebz, I might have been able to just go to the MS validation site and that might have fixed it lickity split. :(

Already tried last known good config.

Unfortunately the laptop isn't new or I would have just gone straight to re-image. And of course the user has a ton of stuff they need pulled off of it before I re-image, so there goes half a day tomorrow most likely. Plus ouir connection to our HQ imaging site is so slow that I have to run the re-image overnight. Grrr.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
new port blocked?

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 07:57:33 PM »
No, it will only load without the stop error in non-networking mode. If I could have gotten it to the interwebz, I might have been able to just go to the MS validation site and that might have fixed it lickity split. :(

Already tried last known good config.

Unfortunately the laptop isn't new or I would have just gone straight to re-image. And of course the user has a ton of stuff they need pulled off of it before I re-image, so there goes half a day tomorrow most likely. Plus ouir connection to our HQ imaging site is so slow that I have to run the re-image overnight. Grrr.

That sounds like an AD authentication issue or a hardware issue.  Yea, have fun pulling the data, re-installing and hoping that works :P

I guess you could try and wipe the user data in the registry (after you pull the data) and see if it is just a screw-up with that.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 08:06:05 PM »
new port blocked?

It only happened to this machine. I've checked with a few of our other field sites, and although almost everyone reported glitches from the ePo update, this is the only machine (that I know of) that ended up with this error.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »
HQ imaging site is so slow that I have to run the re-image overnight. Grrr.
got an old hard drive laying around? if so how often do they update the image, not that i want to know was rewhateveryoucallit. [popcorn]

you probably already found this, but here is is in case you didn't. there's xp and vista ideas, so don't pull a sang. ;)
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/62/t1244429-error-code-0x800700c1/