Author Topic: Book Review: Empire by Orson Scott Card  (Read 6141 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Book Review: Empire by Orson Scott Card
« on: April 14, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »
Bottom line: Preachy & mediocre, and life is too short to read mediocre books.

OSC is one of those funny birds who thinks of themselves as a "centrist," which means they hold both left & right-wing political positions, with no consistent philosophy holding it together.  He really is more a statist, IMO., without the far-left-wing philosophy to back it up, just instinct and predilection likely stemming from his religion.

Anyways, the book is about a George Soros analog who incites a left/right civil war in America.  The good guys are centrists like OSC and the bad guys are almost all caricatures of the left or right.

The two main protagonists are two SF soldiers riding desks in the Pentagon, who manage to be in the middle of every development.  OSC really ought to have read Ian Flemming about Goldfinger's once, twice, three times = enemy action thesis, because there are two coincidences too many with these guys.

Toss into it a Roger Moore-ian era penchant for arch-villains and their over-the-top lairs, and we have a degenerate un-entertaining 007-meets-12-Angry-Men spy preach-fest.  Without much festivity.

Not recommended.

OTOH, OSC's Ender's Game is a terrific read. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Book Review: Empire by Orson Scott Card
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:01:38 PM »
OTOH, OSC's Ender's Game is a terrific read. 

Wurd.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »
we have a degenerate un-entertaining 007-meets-12-Angry-Men spy preach-fest.

"No, Mr. Bond.  I expect you to acquit."
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:18:09 PM »
"No, Mr. Bond.  I expect you to acquit."

Well played, sir. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »

Is that the one where the Soros clone builds an "EMP laser", battle mechs and an army of leftist mercs?  Somehow with NO ONE noticing?  I read part of it, skipped to the end, said "meh" and tossed it.  It's not a bad book.  It's a BORING book.  Yes, a book about an American civil war with mechs was boring.  That alone is an accomplishment. 

I often suspect Ender's Game was not OSC's work.  It's the only book he wrote that was a) decent and b) not long winded or boring.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:52:37 PM »
Is that the one where the Soros clone builds an "EMP laser", battle mechs and an army of leftist mercs?  Somehow with NO ONE noticing?  I read part of it, skipped to the end, said "meh" and tossed it.  It's not a bad book.  It's a BORING book.  Yes, a book about an American civil war with mechs was boring.  That alone is an accomplishment. 

I often suspect Ender's Game was not OSC's work.  It's the only book he wrote that was a) decent and b) not long winded or boring.

Yes, you have described the critter.  I also have not found anything else by OSC in the same league as Ender's Game.  I don;t doubt he wrote it, as it was (IIRC) an short story first that he later expanded upon.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:54:16 PM »

The Bean thread of books after EG is quite good.  The Ender thread though is long winded and boring.  A shame.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:14:32 PM »
I enjoyed all his Ender stuff, Bean stuff, and Empire.  But then again, I'm the sort of person who will read any book or watch any movie at least once, and glean whatever insight/ knowledge/ entertainment from it I can.   =)

The only book out of the Ender run that I didn't particularly enjoy was Ender in Exile, as that was, to use a term Rev once used regarding OSC, pure ShovelWare.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
The Bean thread of books after EG is quite good.  The Ender thread though is long winded and boring.  A shame.
I never read the Ender's Game direct sequels.  I was told they were not as good and not worth reading so I didn't.  I never regretted it. 
I did read the books following Bean and those were pretty good. 

The only other book I have read by OSC is I think Speaker for the Dead which I probably would consider boring if I tried to read it now. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »
I've also read the book, and I agree with you. Preachy and mediocre. It was better than the lame in-flight movie that was my other choice at the time, but just barely.

However,

He really is more a statist, IMO., without the far-left-wing philosophy to back it up, just instinct and predilection likely stemming from his religion.

this seems an odd comment to me. Are you saying Mormon religious thought predisposes one to statism? Or am I misunderstanding?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:33:46 PM »
Not to speak for jfruser but more likely a willingness to accept some flavors of authoritarianism as opposed to "statism".

LDS has, or used to have, in my understanding, more top down control by one person (the Prophet) of both spiritual and "secular" life, inasmuch as there wasn't much distinction made between the two, than most other Protestant sects or modern Catholicism as practiced by the majority in the US.

If you are devout, as Card is (again in my understanding) and that's how you're raised you might get in the habit of accepting valid (to you) direction from above, which could lead one to more easily agree with authoritarian secular leadership if one was of a mind to anyway.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 12:49:27 PM »
Not to speak for jfruser but more likely a willingness to accept some flavors of authoritarianism as opposed to "statism".

LDS has, or used to have, in my understanding, more top down control by one person (the Prophet) of both spiritual and "secular" life, inasmuch as there wasn't much distinction made between the two, than most other Protestant sects or modern Catholicism as practiced by the majority in the US.

If you are devout, as Card is (again in my understanding) and that's how you're raised you might get in the habit of accepting valid (to you) direction from above, which could lead one to more easily agree with authoritarian secular leadership if one was of a mind to anyway.

I guess I can understand the thought process that leads one to that conclusion. Despite the perception that Mormons all walk in lockstep and aren't allowed to question pronouncements from above, that hasn't been my experience, and it hasn't been the experience of most of the other Mormons I know. In fact, many aspects of the religious doctrine and especially the Book of Mormon specifically preach against secular authoritarianism and encourage members to seek independent confirmation of what's being said by the prophet.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread. I was just trying to understand where jfruser was coming from on that comment.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
Racehorse:

Carebear covered most of it, but my analysis also includes what OSC has written in his online column.  OSC (and the LDS) in not unique in this respect by a long shot.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 11:44:11 PM »
A couple years ago a sci-fi web site polled readers for their favorite sci-fi in tv, movies, books.

I read through the books recommendations to try and extrapolate the overall favorites so I could read some good new (to me) sci-fi.

Ender's Game was one of the three I settled on.  It was okay, but not nearly as good as the other two I tried:  Rendezvous with Rama and The Mote in God's Eye.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 11:46:31 PM »
Marnoot seems unusually absent...  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 09:43:31 AM »
Marnoot seems unusually absent...  ???

Perhaps Marnoot == OSC ??   [tinfoil]
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 09:58:11 AM »
SB:

Doesn't get any better than Pournelle/Niven for me, although I will say The Gripping Hand was a bit of a letdown after The Mote in God's Eye.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »
SB:

Doesn't get any better than Pournelle/Niven for me...

Pournelle was not nearly prolific enough.  He wrote the best military-ish scifi evar.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »
Agreed. I suppose the paradox lies in the diversity of his other interests. They enriched his writing, but limited his output.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
The Gripping Hand was a bit of a letdown after The Mote in God's Eye.

That's true for me, also, but I don't think there was anything wrong with Hand so much as it just had too tough an act to follow.

The Mote in God' Eye had a terrific underlying menace and suspense because the extent of the Moties abilities and intentions was unknown, but being hinted at in the way they were plainly keeping secrets, for so long through the book.  Everything was known about them at the beginning of Gripping Hand.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »
Perhaps Marnoot == OSC ??   [tinfoil]
at the very least it's an interesting google  =D

Marnoot Orson Scott Card

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 03:13:51 PM »
 :P

What's to say? I thought Racehorse covered it nicely. I'm not a big fan of OSC, I liked Ender's Game, but not much else. I don't think his statist views are necessarily a result of his religion; myself, Racehorse, and the majority of Mormons I know are more likely to be tea-party type conservatives than statists.