Author Topic: Palin is a 5th columnist  (Read 22999 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Palin is a 5th columnist
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 05:20:22 PM »
The sick, conspiratorial  [tinfoil] part of me thinks that Obama and the RINOs are in cahoots.

Obama will screw up for 4 years but get nasty Statist things done, then yield the floor to the RINOs or NeoCons (like Bush-43 and his additions to authoritarianism and executive power and police state) who will do different nasty Statist things, but we (the circus audience) will cheer as the pendulum appears to swing.

All the while, both sides will decry the lunacy of the fringe hatemongering moonbeam drinking tea partiers and libertarians as "fomenters of antiquated and dangerous ideas."

I swear that they're all just waiting for the perfect patsy to use as a trojan horse in the Liberty movement so they can declare the whole thing a "domestic terrorist group" and do away with the opposition that they flat-out refuse to face openly on the battlefield of ideas.

Palin's actions reinforce that suspicion.  So far, she's played the political patsy and trojan horse perfectly.  Tom Clancy couldn't have written the plot better.

[tinfoil]

What's the problem with conspiracy theories again?

Oh, right, it's that if more than one person knows something, it won't be a secret for long.

Seriously, your hat is cutting off circulation.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 10:02:38 PM »
Politics 101:  If you want help from somebody, you need to be helpful to them.

Anyone wanna tell me how it would be bad for Palin (or us) for Romney and McCain and all of the other establishment old-guard Republicans to be in her debt?  If the woman ever intends to run for national office, these establishment people WILL be involved, either as allies or adversaries.  There is considerable power concentrated in the establishment Republican Party circles.  Better to turn that power to your advantage and use it than to try to fight it off.  Can you imagine the kind of candidate who could unite the Rep establishment with the groundswell Tea Partiers?  That candidate would be nigh unstoppable.  That candidate would make Reagan look like a piker.

All in all, it's a good sign to see from Palin.  It tells me she wants to run, and she wants to win, and she's smart and savvy enough to pull it off.  Shows she isn't naive or incompetent.  Contrast that with a guy like Ron Paul who is deliberately impolitic and therefore will never become a serious policy-maker.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
Politics 101:  If you want help from somebody, you need to be helpful to them.

Anyone wanna tell me how it would be bad for Palin (or us) for Romney and McCain and all of the other establishment old-guard Republicans to be in her debt?  If the woman ever intends to run for national office, these establishment people WILL be involved, either as allies or adversaries.  There is considerable power concentrated in the establishment Republican Party circles.  Better to turn that power to your advantage and use it than to try to fight it off.  Can you imagine the kind of candidate who could unite the Rep establishment with the groundswell Tea Partiers?  That candidate would be nigh unstoppable.  That candidate would make Reagan look like a piker.

All in all, it's a good sign to see from Palin.  It tells me she wants to run, and she wants to win, and she's smart and savvy enough to pull it off.  Shows she isn't naive or incompetent.  Contrast that with a guy like Ron Paul who is deliberately impolitic and therefore will never become a serious policy-maker.

You really think she could win?  I'm not baiting, I'm seriously asking.  I've heard lots of people say they like her, but I don't know if I've heard anyone say they think she could win.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
One of Palin's biggest problems is that even the Republicans and conservatives have too many stupid people in the ranks that don't know the difference between Sarah Palin and Tina Fey.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 11:42:42 PM »
Palin's biggest problem is not stupid people or Tina Fey.

It is some combination of the following:

1. She is extremely polarizing.
2. She is inexperienced.
3. She quit in the middle of her term as govenor.  Excusable or not, if she was too polarizing to function as govenor of one of the least populated states, why would she be able to function as POTUS?

Quite frankly, claiming Ron Paul won't get elected because he doesn't kiss enough butt is probably true, but simultaneously claiming tha Palin should be president because she kisses butt is incorrect IMO.

There is a reason no one follows the office butt kisser, because they don't stand for anything. Applying this to Palin, what makes her more qualified than any other republican if she supports their policies/ideas and doesn't have principles?

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 11:52:57 PM »
1. She is extremely polarizing.
+1
As I'm trying to cultivate a suspicious outlook on life in general, I'm thinking that Palin is much more like McCain than I originally believed.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 02:25:13 AM »
+1
As I'm trying to cultivate a suspicious outlook on life in general, I'm thinking that Palin is much more like McCain than I originally believed.

Yep.  She snookered me at first, too.

Politics 101:  If you want help from somebody, you need to be helpful to them.

Anyone wanna tell me how it would be bad for Palin (or us) for Romney and McCain and all of the other establishment old-guard Republicans to be in her debt?  If the woman ever intends to run for national office, these establishment people WILL be involved, either as allies or adversaries.  There is considerable power concentrated in the establishment Republican Party circles.  Better to turn that power to your advantage and use it than to try to fight it off.  Can you imagine the kind of candidate who could unite the Rep establishment with the groundswell Tea Partiers?  That candidate would be nigh unstoppable.  That candidate would make Reagan look like a piker.

All in all, it's a good sign to see from Palin.  It tells me she wants to run, and she wants to win, and she's smart and savvy enough to pull it off.  Shows she isn't naive or incompetent.  Contrast that with a guy like Ron Paul who is deliberately impolitic and therefore will never become a serious policy-maker.

Then the nooz would talk about Palin/Romney... not Romney/Palin.

The article cited talked about Romney/Palin.

Which means that Sarah's supposed libertarian-leaning policies would take back seat to Romney's legacy of state health care, authoritarian law, high taxes and liberal appeasement.

Palin won't unite Tea Partiers with the GOP establishment by courting a RINO.  Remember?  It didn't work in 2008.

The Tea Party was created BECAUSE of McCain...
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 08:43:59 AM »
Yep.  She snookered me at first, too.

Then the nooz would talk about Palin/Romney... not Romney/Palin.

The article cited talked about Romney/Palin.

Which means that Sarah's supposed libertarian-leaning policies would take back seat to Romney's legacy of state health care, authoritarian law, high taxes and liberal appeasement.

Palin won't unite Tea Partiers with the GOP establishment by courting a RINO.  Remember?  It didn't work in 2008.

The Tea Party was created BECAUSE of McCain...

No, the Tea Party is a spontaneous response to out of control spending. McCain wasn't even a catalyst.

Look, AGAIN, it is TWO THOUSAND TEN. A smart politician doesn't undercut potential allies for no good reason.

In TWO THOUSAND TEN, creating in-fighting amongst possible presidential contenders for TWO THOUSAND TWELVE will only hurt the chances of turning this crap around in the TWO THOUSAND TEN elections.

To everything there is a season... and sniping about a presidential election when there are congressional elections to win is the wrong season.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »
Both of the major political parties want to screw us, we need a 3rd party candidate that could actually win.

Ron Paul 2012!!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 12:00:07 PM »
No, the Tea Party is a spontaneous response to out of control spending. McCain wasn't even a catalyst.

Look, AGAIN, it is TWO THOUSAND TEN. A smart politician doesn't undercut potential allies for no good reason.

In TWO THOUSAND TEN, creating in-fighting amongst possible presidential contenders for TWO THOUSAND TWELVE will only hurt the chances of turning this crap around in the TWO THOUSAND TEN elections.

To everything there is a season... and sniping about a presidential election when there are congressional elections to win is the wrong season.
But circular firing squads are so much more fun.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 09:18:37 PM »
Palin has been a darling of the libertarian/tea-party conservatives because she talks a good talk...

I think true Conservo-libertarians have been alarmed by the populist overtones in some of her speeches. Self included. Seems like you've picked up on it as well, we can't be the only ones.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 01:38:50 AM »
Palin is the Establishment Republican's means of co-opting the tea party movement.  She is an extremely photogenic, intriguing personality who is green as gourd guts when it comes to major league politics.  Her only chance of demonstrating policy substance is to align herself with experienced hands at republican policy.  At some point enterprising reporters will identify her brain trust, aides, policy advisers, and handlers.  That will clue Joe and Martha Sixpack into how much of a game changer she really is.  Meanwhile over at the tea party I see republican operators being very helpful.  I see Dick Armey offering organizing assistance for mass rallies.  I see Grover Norquist flitting around the edges events.  The republican establishment will either co-opt the tea party movement or they will destroy it.  Existing republican ideology and tea party demands can not exist in the same eco-sphere peacefully.  One has to dominate.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 07:40:36 AM »
Palin is the Establishment Republican's means of co-opting the tea party movement.  She is an extremely photogenic, intriguing personality who is green as gourd guts when it comes to major league politics.  Her only chance of demonstrating policy substance is to align herself with experienced hands at republican policy.  At some point enterprising reporters will identify her brain trust, aides, policy advisers, and handlers.  That will clue Joe and Martha Sixpack into how much of a game changer she really is.  Meanwhile over at the tea party I see republican operators being very helpful.  I see Dick Armey offering organizing assistance for mass rallies.  I see Grover Norquist flitting around the edges events.  The republican establishment will either co-opt the tea party movement or they will destroy it.  Existing republican ideology and tea party demands can not exist in the same eco-sphere peacefully.  One has to dominate.

[tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Yep, it's all a terrible conspiracy to destroy a movement that wants fiscal sanity!!!!

It's not at all that some of these politicians have been wanting that for years- they were just setting themselves up so they could destroy the Tea Party movement!!!111

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 11:42:09 AM »

I think it is way to early to be looking for potential candidates.  The only ones out in public are those who have been involved in the race before.  All the new comers are keeping their heads down.  IMO, that is smart not only because of what makattak said, but anyone who throws their hat in too early will be wearing a big target on their back.  

I agree that Palin is polarizing.  I see that clearly on another site I visit.  Some love her, some really hate her, with very little in between.  It is obvious a lot of potential Repub voters are not ready to vote for her.  However, I think much of that is people's reaction to her and not necessarily anything she has done.  Personally, I think she would do best to stay out of the next race and use her media attention to snipe at Obama and try to keep his focus off his opponents.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2010, 02:45:40 PM »
Sara is doing exactly what she should be doing.  She is keeping her name in the forefront, attacking the President when the opportunity arises and supporting Republican candidates running in 2010. 

I fail to see how she is polarizing.  Except for the fact that far left hates her (they will hate anyone right of obama), the wookie suit crowd hates her (anyone who takes the spotlight away from Ron Paul earns their ire) and the woman-can't-lead this country crowd hates her, "she doesn't have enough experience" (like the community organizer does?).  She has more experience running something than our current President.  There were Republicans in the last election that voted for obama just to have a black President, that little titillation is gone.  They realized they acted stupidly.

When/if Sara Palin is elected President, NEWS FLASH, she will not be doing it all by herself.  She will appoint advisers and Cabinet member to help her make decisions.  It's not a one man operation.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
Sara is doing exactly what she should be doing.  She is keeping her name in the forefront, attacking the President when the opportunity arises and supporting Republican candidates running in 2010. 

I fail to see how she is polarizing.  Except for the fact that far left hates her (they will hate anyone right of obama), the wookie suit crowd hates her (anyone who takes the spotlight away from Ron Paul earns their ire) and the woman-can't-lead this country crowd hates her, "she doesn't have enough experience" (like the community organizer does?).  She has more experience running something than our current President.  There were Republicans in the last election that voted for obama just to have a black President, that little titillation is gone.  They realized they acted stupidly.

When/if Sara Palin is elected President, NEWS FLASH, she will not be doing it all by herself.  She will appoint advisers and Cabinet member to help her make decisions.  It's not a one man operation.

Palin spent 2.5 years governing the least populated state in the country. BHO has spent 1.33 years as POTUS. I think it is fair to say he has more experience governing, or at least that a comparison between them is too close to call (ignoring BHO legislative experience).

Here is how I read your post above:

Palin isn't polarizing because different groups don't like her.

We made a mistake electing BHO (presumably because he is inexperienced) so it's ok to do it again with Palin.

Experience doesn't matter because of the cabinet.

So taking the last one further, has Palin demonstrated the ability to choose advisors?

Was she advised to quit politics as a way to somehow be more qualified to run in 2012? Did she listen to her advisors during the election? Most rumors put that as a "negative."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 09:11:42 PM »
lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.   

Palin ought to think of that before paling around with loathsome critters like McCain and Romney.   

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »

I fail to see how she is polarizing. 

Polling data shows that most people either don't view her favorably or are undecided.  If you break it down by party affiliation, the difference is pretty large.  I fail to see how she is not polarizing.  I am not suggesting she couldn't win, but she has a ways to go.
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/poll_palin_040810.pdf?tag=contentMain;contentBody
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »
lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.  

Palin ought to think of that before paling around with loathsome critters like McCain and Romney.  
The only way for her to avoid "lying down with dogs" is to retire from politics completely. 

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »
The only way for her to avoid "lying down with dogs" is to retire from politics completely.  

Bingo!

Polling data shows that most people either don't view her favorably or are undecided.  If you break it down by party affiliation, the difference is pretty large.  I fail to see how she is not polarizing.  I am not suggesting she couldn't win, but she has a ways to go.
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/poll_palin_040810.pdf?tag=contentMain;contentBody

You're going to use CBS as a credible news/poll source?  I rest my case.

And another thing, who do you propose as an alternative to the good-old-boys who've been running things?  Obama's inexperience doesn't worry me as much as his left wing agenda.  At least Sara Palin leans in the right direction.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:00:26 PM by scanr »
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »

I have a really hard time believing the whole " I have to play nice with the statists, and help them get re-elected, but when I get elected, I'll get right back to that whole limited government thing"

Grow some principles already.  Either you support the statist RINOs or your don't. 

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 10:22:35 PM »
Quote from: makattak
Yep, it's all a terrible conspiracy to destroy a movement that wants fiscal sanity!!!!
Naah, just an understanding that it is a long, long ways between demonstrating in the streets a justifiable outrage and gaining control of the levers and switches of power.  The more the tea party message resonates with the ruling class (republican or democrat) the more resistance it will encounter.  The tea party message when fully developed will be correctly understood as an assault on the existing power structure (democrat or republican) which means a threat to the flow of money.  Republicans have to either control and convert the ideology for their ends (in order to remain in power) or they have to neutralize it (to prevent the formation of a viable third party).  I wish the tea party movement great success.  I"m just realistic enough to understand the republican party is its ally right up to the point of inflicting damage. then all bets are off.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »
I don't think Palin would get the nomination in 2012, but I do think she's setting herself up to be a power broker. Think Jesse Jackson and the Democrat party, but with scruples.

If she has a degree of control over the Tea Party movement she has some control of the Republican party.

I don't think she's doing the tour for kicks.

taurusowner

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »
Honestly at this point, I would prefer Palin not be on the ticket.  Not because I disagree with her, but because I see so many people who already think she's an idiot (thanks media), that I don't think she could ever be another Reagan.  I don't see her winning over the common man.  She has been portrayed as a buffoon by the media too much, and her quitting as a Governor is just too much for even me.  I'd rather see Bobby Jindal, or even someone new.  Not to say I dislike Palin, just that I think too much negativity has been brought against her from the last campaign to really give her a chance.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2010, 01:06:34 PM »
I don't think Palin would get the nomination in 2012, but I do think she's setting herself up to be a power broker. Think Jesse Jackson and the Democrat party, but with scruples.

If she has a degree of control over the Tea Party movement she has some control of the Republican party.

I don't think she's doing the tour for kicks.

My problem though is I don't see how she can help in 2012 at all, at least in the real race.  The people who like her aren't going to vote for anyone but GOP or third party anyway, she isn't going to shake moderates or liberals.

Unless you mean a power broker for the GOP primaries, in which case I agree that might be the case.