Author Topic: What's the deal with this Arizona Immigration law?  (Read 52979 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
What's the deal with this Arizona Immigration law?
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »
The liberal circles I run in are going bonkers about this new law signed in Arizona that allows police to arrest for immigration violations.

What's the truth on how this law works?  At least, what's your understanding on how it works?
What I'm hearing sounds REALLY bad, but I also know how inflammed people get.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: What's the deal with this Arizona Immigration law?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 09:42:53 PM »
If cops stop someone and have reason to suspect they are not citizens (or not here legally) they can ask for proof. Zomg the horror of teh profiling!  ;/ I'd imagine your liberal friends are against any attempt to reign in illegal immigration.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:47:04 PM »
But is it a "papieren, bitte" sort of situation?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
But is it a "papieren, bitte" sort of situation?

You mean like when cops stop someone and ask for their driver's license and proof of insurance?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 10:06:26 PM »
So now we all have to carry a passport or birth certificate whenever we leave the house (at least when we're in AZ)? 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »
You mean like when cops stop someone and ask for their driver's license and proof of insurance?

OK.  So what happens if the swarthy naturalized citizen with the funny accent doesn't have proof of citizenship?  Is this strictly aimed at drivers, that have to have ID, anyway? 

I'm not arguing against it, I just don't know much about it. 

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:13:59 PM »
Well, when you're driving it's different (according to the courts, as driving is a privelege, not a right)
From what I've read (which I am not sure how much I trust) you can be arrested and jailed for not having proof of citizenship on you.  Cops are now REQUIRED to stop people they have a reasonable suspicion of being illegal, and ask.  Ifthey don't have their papers on them, they are to be arrested.

This is what i'm trying to find out is the case, or not.  If this is being blown out of proportion or not
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm interested to learn exactly how this works.

Can you have your drivers license tagged with your citizenship?

And what are the penalties for being busted for non-citizenship?  Fine?  Jail?  Deportation?  Can a state deport people, or is that something only the Feds can do?

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 10:38:55 PM »
OK here's the details from the gay female liberal Sean Hannity clone:

the bill "requires police officers in Arizona to demand the paperwork of anyone they think looks like he or she might be an illegal immigrant."

"when this bill is enacted, you are presumed to be illegal in the state of Arizona.  Anyone, anywhere in the state of Arizona will be eligible for arrest if a police officer thinks you might be an illegal immigrant and you cant, on the spot, prove otherwise."

"If it turns out you're actually a legal immigrant to this country, but you weren't carrying all of your immigration paperwork with you at the time, that's 6 months in jail for you, and a $500 fine."

"this law says you have to show documentation if a police officer says you look illegal"

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »
OK here's the details from the gay female liberal Sean Hannity clone:

the bill "requires police officers in Arizona to demand the paperwork of anyone they think looks like he or she might be an illegal immigrant."

"when this bill is enacted, you are presumed to be illegal in the state of Arizona.  Anyone, anywhere in the state of Arizona will be eligible for arrest if a police officer thinks you might be an illegal immigrant and you cant, on the spot, prove otherwise."

"If it turns out you're actually a legal immigrant to this country, but you weren't carrying all of your immigration paperwork with you at the time, that's 6 months in jail for you, and a $500 fine."

"this law says you have to show documentation if a police officer says you look illegal"

From what I understand, the bill mostly clones Federal law (which also requires that aliens have documentation with them at all times).  All it does is allow AZ state police to enforce it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 06:59:35 AM »
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/04/24/correction-the-actual-arizona-immigration-bill/

A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE MAY NOT SOLELY CONSIDER RACE, COLOR OR NATIONAL ORIGIN IN IMPLEMENTING THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS SUBSECTION EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE UNITED STATES OR ARIZONA CONSTITUTION. A PERSON IS PRESUMED TO NOT BE AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IF THE PERSON PROVIDES TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR AGENCY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. A VALID ARIZONA DRIVER LICENSE.
2. A VALID ARIZONA NONOPERATING IDENTIFICATION LICENSE.
3. A VALID TRIBAL ENROLLMENT CARD OR OTHER FORM OF TRIBAL IDENTIFICATION.
4. IF THE ENTITY REQUIRES PROOF OF LEGAL PRESENCE IN THE UNITED STATES BEFORE ISSUANCE, ANY VALID UNITED STATES FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED IDENTIFICATION.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 10:59:08 AM »
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/04/24/correction-the-actual-arizona-immigration-bill/

A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE MAY NOT SOLELY CONSIDER RACE, COLOR OR NATIONAL ORIGIN IN IMPLEMENTING THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS SUBSECTION EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE UNITED STATES OR ARIZONA CONSTITUTION. A PERSON IS PRESUMED TO NOT BE AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IF THE PERSON PROVIDES TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR AGENCY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. A VALID ARIZONA DRIVER LICENSE.
2. A VALID ARIZONA NONOPERATING IDENTIFICATION LICENSE.
3. A VALID TRIBAL ENROLLMENT CARD OR OTHER FORM OF TRIBAL IDENTIFICATION.
4. IF THE ENTITY REQUIRES PROOF OF LEGAL PRESENCE IN THE UNITED STATES BEFORE ISSUANCE, ANY VALID UNITED STATES FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED IDENTIFICATION.

IMHO, You bolded the wrong part. 

If you get pulled over, and don't have valid documentation, they will be required to pursue your legal status further.
Seems pretty simple and straightforward to me. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 11:56:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm interested to learn exactly how this works.

Can you have your drivers license tagged with your citizenship?

I don't know about Arizona but, in Michigan you can get an "enhanced" driver's license, using your birth certificate or a passport to verify your citizenship when you apply or renew.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 12:35:28 PM »
From what I understand, the bill mostly clones Federal law (which also requires that aliens have documentation with them at all times).  All it does is allow AZ state police to enforce it.

What about someone who isn't even an immigrant, but because they come from a heavy immigrant area they look and speak like one, and they don't have anything on them?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 01:33:49 PM »
and what kinda papers are now needed to go for a walk?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »
and what kinda papers are now needed to go for a walk?

But C&SD... we all live in a universe where we all have driver's licenses, right? A total national ID is inevitable anyway, just get with the program.

...actually, I agree with you fully.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
Liberals are always saying "we want the same health care every other western nation has".
Seems to me that AZ has the same immigration policy every other western nation has.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

sanglant

• friend

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 05:44:57 PM »
Liberals are always saying "we want the same health care every other western nation has". Seems to me that AZ has the same immigration policy every other western nation has.
Not really - I understand Mexico treats illegals along its southern border far more harshly than AZ is proposing.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 05:59:08 PM »
Not really - I understand Mexico treats illegals along its southern border far more harshly than AZ is proposing.

Mexico was a Western country now? I mean, it is physically in the West, but that doesn't qualify.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 07:06:32 PM »
How would Mexico not qualify as Western? 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 07:09:02 PM »
How would Mexico not qualify as Western? 

Not being a fully-industrialized country?

The corruption?

The horrific crime?

The various civil rights abuses?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »
On the other hand, they speak a European language, observe Christianity, and have many social and political institutions derived from European sources.  I guess there's no hard and fast rule.  The Wiki article makes some interesting points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »
a thread on .us just hit the dumper so i'll ask here.  how do they plan on requiring folks to carry id?  the supreme court ruling and all.  i mean i know they have sheriff joe but can they afford that many lawsuits?