Author Topic: Worthy home improvement project.  (Read 4767 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Worthy home improvement project.
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
Cold and hot outside faucet, no more washing to dog in the tub.
2 hours to install, did more cursing trying to get the original cold faucet out.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Worthy home improvement project.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:51:23 PM »
The "H" and "C" are crooked.

Bad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:52:14 PM »
Run it over to your existing hot water tank? I'm interested in seeing how you connected it in.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »
Run it over to your existing hot water tank? I'm interested in seeing how you connected it in.

Da. Details please, that looks like something extremely useful. Washing dogs, washing cars, filling up the wading pool with something other than ice water, etc.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:06:38 PM »
Nope both the hot and cold pipes are right there. It happened to be right under the kitchen sink.
It has two stems that go through the wall, so I drilled a second hole 5" OC from the other one and stuck it in.

The white stuff is aqua PEX, best 200 some bucks I ever spent was for the tool to use the stuff.
You can freeze it solid and it will never break, you can run it like wire, and no fittings in the walls.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »
The "H" and "C" are crooked.

Bad
I know I might have to pop the handles off and see if I can adjust them.
A few months-mods

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 05:10:42 PM »
Very slick. I've been hearing a lot of good things about that tubing. Aside from the tool cost, how much is the actual tubing?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »
100' of 1/2 inch is around 20 bucks. I think a 100' of copper is over a 100 dollars now.
The fittings for connecting to copper or threaded adapters are not cheap but they are all machined brass.
This is the Wirsboro branded stuff. I don't think all brands are interchangeable.
This stuff uses a collar you put over the tube than you stretch the end with the tool and stick it on the barbed fitting and it shrinks back to make the seal. Some of the other brands use a steel band that you crimp around the outside.

The tool I have came with 1/2,3/4, and 1" dies.
Ive used it for hot water baseboard also. The heating system tube is different in is composition though.
A few months-mods

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »
Your siding is dirty, and you scorched the underside of your subfloor.  >:D

Good idea, and good job. I installed a bench and a handheld shower wand in our 8-foot walk-in shower for the same purpose. Two Labs living on a river sometimes need some "attention."

TC
TC
RT Refugee

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
Your siding is dirty, and you scorched the underside of your subfloor.  >:D

Good idea, and good job. I installed a bench and a handheld shower wand in our 8-foot walk-in shower for the same purpose. Two Labs living on a river sometimes need some "attention."

TC

Yes the siding needs a spring pressure washing.
No I did not char everything, the was the original plumber or half ass homeowner. Stuff is charred everywhere.

No lab's but a golden puppy.
A few months-mods

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »
Goldies are as bad as Labs around water or mud. My empathy to you.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »
Very slick. I've been hearing a lot of good things about that tubing. Aside from the tool cost, how much is the actual tubing?

Damn right you've been hearing good things. I LOVED installing PEX in place of copper in all those apartments, never had to screw with it once it was installed...
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 05:46:40 PM »
hmm handy stuff [popcorn] i guess this isn't the stuff that was bursting on it's own about 20 years ago. [tinfoil]

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 05:52:18 PM »
I like.

Is that a freeze-proof faucet as well?  Where did you buy it?

sanman

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »
C&Sdaddy and I did that at my house when we had the kitchen ripped out. Used all copper and 2 frost-free spigots. He did some real artwork in the sink cabinet. Had 4 hot water shutoffs and 3 cold. One each for the kitchen sink, 1 each for the outside connections, 2 for the dishwashers and 1 cold for the icemaker.

The hot and cold outside are near the grill on the deck...makes it more like a kitchen, especially once I hook the supplies up to the stand-alone sink with hoses.

The artwork:

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »
I like.

Is that a freeze-proof faucet as well?  Where did you buy it?
Yep its freeze proof, It got it at a local plumbing supply house. 60 some bucks.
I know the guys quite well so I get the uber contractor discount. So the price may vary.
I looked at one one the web made by Moen that mounts in one hole, but I heard it has some disadvantages.
Mostly not good flow because it sends the water threw to small sink size lines. And it uses a cartridge type guts like a sink faucet.
A few months-mods

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »
hmm handy stuff [popcorn] i guess this isn't the stuff that was bursting on it's own about 20 years ago. [tinfoil]

No I forget what that stuff was called, it was gray and if you see it run don't hide.
The tubbing wasn't the issue, it was the fittings that would let loose.
A few months-mods

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »
C&Sdaddy and I did that at my house when we had the kitchen ripped out. Used all copper and 2 frost-free spigots. He did some real artwork in the sink cabinet. Had 4 hot water shutoffs and 3 cold. One each for the kitchen sink, 1 each for the outside connections, 2 for the dishwashers and 1 cold for the icemaker.

The hot and cold outside are near the grill on the deck...makes it more like a kitchen, especially once I hook the supplies up to the stand-alone sink with hoses.

The artwork:

Thats quite the impressive collection of fittings right there.
Is that drain sticking out of the wall crooked also? Or is that an optical illusion?
A few months-mods

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 09:37:41 PM »
polybuteline is the bad stuff

My Grandfather had a hot & cold spigot in the garage and my Dad has one.

funny how new garages don't have floor drains.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 10:01:37 PM »
funny how new garages don't have floor drains.
Most areas don't allow them, they are afraid you will dump oil down them.
We had to hide the one in my friends garage with a skim coat of cement for inspection, then open it up latter.
A few months-mods

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »
i've got 30 year old quest plumbing the "bad stuff"  never had trouble with it. well except when i turned the pressure switch up to 90 plus psi.  i think a lot of the trouble with qwest was bad install work . god loves me though when i popped the fitting it was the one outside the wall under the clawfoot tub and i backed the pressure down to 75 psi.

sanmans sink was fun the artwork comes from wanting to have hot on the left cold on the right both inside and out. the drain is coming out at 45 degrees to make it point at the drain on his new bathtub.... er i mean sink. i wanted to use as much of the original plumbing as possible. i said a grateful prayer to the plumbing gods that he bought a space age faucet that had 30 inch integral supplies and the o ring and metal clips connection from the valve to the spout. the connections for that happened in the 7 inches behind the back of that cabinet after the extra wide granite top was put on,  also first time i hada put batteries in a faucet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 11:58:55 PM »
You still use the old qwest c & s's daddy?

It think I still have a few new fittings from when I used to work on the wife's grandparents place. If you think you can use then let me know. I'll send them your way when I'm cleaning up this spring.

I use the pex here. I have a 1/2' crimp tool and use the other fittings for the 3/4" Sharkbite I think. I haven't messed with copper water pipe in about twenty years.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 02:21:54 AM »
no i don't use it anymore but if you're not gonna use em i'd love to have em for repair work. if mine gives me trouble i'm gonna swap it all out for pex but so far so good. and i watch it like a hawk.  the stuff i've seen fail has often been bent beyond tolerances. i think guys thought it was way more flexible than it is.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
no i don't use it anymore but if you're not gonna use em i'd love to have em for repair work. if mine gives me trouble i'm gonna swap it all out for pex but so far so good. and i watch it like a hawk.  the stuff i've seen fail has often been bent beyond tolerances. i think guys thought it was way more flexible than it is.

I believe the rule of thumb is 8x the diameter of the tubing = minimum radius of bend.  So, 1/2" PEX can be bent into a 4" radius, 3/4" can take a 6" radius, 1" can take an 8" radius.

Regarding the tooling.  There are a couple different ways to get into PEX and the method you go with depends largely on how many fittings you intend to be doing.  For your next repair which will need a couple fittings, you can just go with push-fittings.  They interface with your current copper or PVC, and install almost instantly with no tools and are rated to work for decades with no leaks and can be installed inside walls.  Drawback: the cost PER FITTING is high @ $3-$6.

After that, the next most cost-effective method is the copper crush-rings.  The fittings are brass barbs, and the PEX slips onto the barb.  A copper crush-ring is slid over the pex first, and then placed encircling the end of the pex where the barb is.  A tool is used to crush the ring down to spec.  The cost per fitting is lower than push fittings, but the tooling expense makes it non-cost-effective until you are doing a couple-dozen fittings or more.  Tool costs vary from $30 for an awkward two-piece hinged tool which you must clamp down with your own set of large vice-grips, to $100 for a dedicated tool resembling a set of bolt cutters.  Home Depot carries one for $94 that includes dies for 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and the tool itself with no die installed does 1".

The cheapest method in the long run, which comes out ahead if you are going to be doing hundreds of fittings, is the tubing stretching tool.  It uses brass barbs which are oversized so the tubing needs to be stretched open to fit.  You insert the tool in the tubing and it stretches the tubing open.  You then have a few seconds to place the tubing onto the oversized bard while it shrinks down tight.  A plastic ring is then slid over the tubing.  Fitting costs are slightly lower than the crush ring method.  Tooling costs range from $200-$300 for a manual stretcher, to close to $1000 for a pneumatic-powered stretcher.

Some time ago I put together a spreadsheet that graphed the cost crossover points with number of fittings on the X axis and total cost on the Y.  I used actual fitting and tooling prices sourced from internet supply houses.  My memory of this graph (which I can't find or else I would post it) is where I am quoting the "dozens" and "hundreds" of fittings in the post above.  Things may have changed since then (6-12 months ago).
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 02:18:54 PM »
its surprising to folks how many fittings and joints there are. in sanmans  plumber on lsd scene under his sink the ones that show plus the ones behind the cabinet back amount to 20 plus fittings and 50 solder joints. just running 2 dedicated 3/4 supply homeruns to a second shower diverter in my master bath had over 200 solder joints. i love my crimping tool and keep some sharkbite and gatorbites for good luck.  a sharkbite repair coupling is your friend when pipes freeze. it did take me a while to believe in em