Author Topic: Door ding  (Read 5108 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Door ding
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
Ugh.

We have 50mph wind guests here today.  My left hand is full of lidocane.

I was riding in the rear seat, drivers side in my coworkers car to lunch.

We got back to work, I opened the door, and the wind took it.  THWACK!  Right into a newish Honda SUV.  :facepalm:

My coworkers said, "don't worry about it."  But, that's just not the person I am.  I filed a report with security, and let them know that it was I, not my coworker that was fully at fault.

I think my coworkers think I'm insane now.  But, I damaged someone else's personal property, and I want to make that right.  Hoping this won't cost me too much, though.  =|  What's a little paint touch-up run?  $100?

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Door ding
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
Kudos to you for being honest and responsible, and 50 lashes with the late Ann Landers' wet noodle to your co-workers for being part of the reason why this country is going (has gone?) to the dogs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:55:23 PM »

That happened to me once.  Only, it was my car that got hit (which was a beater), and the guy responsible was driving a really nice car.  He was very apologetic, and offered to pay for it.  I told him not to worry about it.  He paid for my meal before I could get the counter.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »
thank  you nick i had just discovered that was charged for 3 20 pound propane tanks this morning when i got 3 100 pound tanks. its funny i hate amerigas but i just called em had em charge me the difference. i was vacillating
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »
Well, site security sent an email out to both of us.

I replied directly to the other guy:

Hi Kevin;

Let me know if you want to meet to discuss this in person.

Windy day today – when I opened the rear door of my coworkers car, a wind gust took it right clean out of my hand.  Of course, it doesn’t help that my hand was still somewhat numb with lidocaine – as I had a surgical pin removed from it this morning. (Broke a finger in January  =( )

Anyway – If you decide to take this to a paint shop for a touch up, let me know – I don’t have a lot of free cash (Going through a divorce right now – 2010 has been AWESOME for me), but I’ll find a way to cover a reasonable repair bill.

Sorry for the hassle;

-Nick

No reply from him yet.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »
I think my coworkers think I'm insane now.

Well, I think your coworkers suck. You did the right thing. You're an honorable man. Take pride in that, even when the bill arrives.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

PTK

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 07:37:11 PM »
You did the right thing. Expect $500 or less, high end especially if he takes it to the dealer.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »
Good honesty.

Yea, $100 isn't going to cover it if he gets it fixed, 'Like new' from a dealer.  Hopefully he's ok without that.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »
PTK's got it in the ball park, at least if there's no metal damage. Good on ya, Nick.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »
I nudged a guy once as I was backing out, he totally drove up to where I was but it was my fault for not doing my tactical parking like I always do now. Anyway, I told him to come up with a decent price and he wanted 600 bucks, so I had to let my insurance cover it- they gave him 300 & I never noticed it on my insurance.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 09:54:05 PM »
There didn't appear to be any metal damage.  At least to me, I couldn't feel any crease or dent, and the lines looked straight still.

Whatever it is, it is.  It is my understanding that my insurance will cover anything over $500, but I'm not sure how that works as I was not the driver, and the car wasn't mine.

Still haven't heard a peep from him.  Whatever it is, it is.  I've got some odd jobs going on, and a tiny bit of savings.  I'll still be able to look at myself in the morning knowing that I'm a good man - and this is more important then my checkbook.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 10:42:17 PM »
There didn't appear to be any metal damage.  At least to me, I couldn't feel any crease or dent, and the lines looked straight still.

Did you snap a picture for proof? That's generally pretty important to do.

I'll still be able to look at myself in the morning knowing that I'm a good man - and this is more important then my checkbook.

Indeed, and since you've got your head on straight and have been just trucking along through life at a good pace, you may as well keep being a good man. :)

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 11:08:02 PM »
BTW, I hope your hand heals up soon!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:11 PM »
I'll kick in $20 if you need to pay for any damage.

It was windy here the past couple days too and still hasn't calmed down quite yet.

Wind and a numbed hand. Bad combination for handling wide, flat objects. But you owned up to the accident. Most people I know would've looked around and said "screw it" if they didn't think anyone saw.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
BTW, I hope your hand heals up soon!

Thanks!  It actually feels fine - no pain unless I try to bend the joint past where it wants to go to.

Did you snap a picture for proof? That's generally pretty important to do.

I didn't even think of it.  Fortunate for me, the security team did, though.  =)

PTK

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 11:30:46 PM »
Good! :)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 11:33:14 PM »
thank  you nick i had just discovered that was charged for 3 20 pound propane tanks this morning when i got 3 100 pound tanks. its funny i hate amerigas but i just called em had em charge me the difference. i was vacillating

Amerigas? Wow, you are quite a good fellow. Me, my morals have limits. Amerigas is one of those. Charged me over twice the spot retail to re-fill my inground tank because "we didn't use enough."
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 11:45:14 PM »
they did that to me too  hence me hauling 100 pound tanks now

i am not a good fellow by any means just the way it worked out i won't let them being slime cause me to backslide on my behavior. its easier to stay straight than get straight
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 12:09:10 AM »
Were it me, I'd be so happy to see someone take responsibility for their actions I'd just let you slide and cover it myself. But that's just me. In any case, good job man.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 02:20:21 AM »
That was an admirable thing, Nick.  Good on you, Sir.

C&SD made a good point in the last sentence of his post above, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 03:34:39 AM »
Were it me, I'd be so happy to see someone take responsibility for their actions I'd just let you slide and cover it myself. But that's just me. In any case, good job man.

I'd probably be the same way.  My car is a rolling door ding for which no one has ever left a note or apologized.  Several people have even dinged it while I was sitting in it!  Some a-hole parked about a foot away from me at the grocery store and door-dinged a hole in my nearly impossible to replace tail light.  Yeah, despite the fact that I'd do exactly as you did, I'd be speechless if someone returned the courtesy.  You did right.
For entertainment purposes only.

norinco982lover

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 09:31:38 AM »
You did good. Let us know what his reply is.

Also, it has been EXTREMELY windy here in Kansas...I had to remind my wife to make sure to grab the door with both hands when getting in and out of the car... she about blew away haha.

~Norinco

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »
You are not insane, just a responsible human being.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

PTK

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 10:03:53 AM »
Also, it has been EXTREMELY windy here in Kansas...I had to remind my wife to make sure to grab the door with both hands when getting in and out of the car... she about blew away haha.

Well, the answer is simple! Get a length of string, and tie a loop around her waist. After that, the trick is to get her to hold her arms out to her sides and to get her running before you start running.

At that point, lift should be no problem.  =)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 05:19:46 PM »
You did the right thing. You're an honorable man. Take pride in that,

This.

;) ;) ;)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.