Author Topic: PA Tax Collectors - "We Know Who You Are"  (Read 4120 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
PA Tax Collectors - "We Know Who You Are"
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:35:26 AM »
I assume they were trying to be witty in a 1984ish kind of way, but I'm guessing this ad by the PA dept of revenue is going to not exactly have the effect they were hoping for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybcu2itqvEQ
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: PA Tax Collectors - "We Know Who You Are"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 01:20:49 PM »
That's just ugly and arrogant.  And wrong.   :mad:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:29:37 PM »
this is what happens when the editorially naive get access to media production hardware.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »
Well the .gov wants it's money and will intimidate everybody to get it, even on a mass scale.

Also if they are so desperate for the money, why are they wasting more money on a commercial?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 01:30:55 PM »
That will go over like a fart in church.  What were they thinking?  Oh, wait...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »

Also if they are so desperate for the money, why are they wasting more money on a commercial?

And the second part to that question: If the know where everyone is, why do they need a commercial? :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
I assume they were trying to be witty in a 1984ish kind of way, but I'm guessing this ad by the PA dept of revenue is going to not exactly have the effect they were hoping for.

Sigh...   Monday is gonna be fun.  I have to email the link to half of the General Assembly.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Myself

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 05:52:01 PM »
Thank God my name is not Tom.    :angel:

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:59:52 PM »
I'm hoping that house is CG (my eyes ain't so sharp anymore) because if it's real the residents will have a field day in the press.

And if one of them is named Tom and does owe money, well....interesting times ahead.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:33:56 AM »
If you wanna see really creepy look up some of the British TV licensing scare signs.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:45:08 AM by RaspberrySurprise »
Look, tiny text!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 11:22:43 AM »
Brits have to license their teewees?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:11 AM »
"It was a bright, cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen..."  [tinfoil]
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »
And the second part to that question: If the know where everyone is, why do they need a commercial? :)

Or a census??????
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 02:25:43 PM »

Yep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom  When I heard about this, I couldn't believe it. From what I understand, when everybody had tube TVs they had detector vans that would run around and see if you were using a TV and didn't have a license.  I believe that if you buy a TV in a store, they merchant is required to register the TV into a central database.  It is also why they don't have commercials on the BBC.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »
Reminds me of this:

Yep, that's a real poster that the London Underground Transit Security put up, trying to make people feel warm and fuzzy about video surveillance.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »
Wow, that's creep! Straight out of 1984 or V for Vendetta. Yikes.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 04:31:40 PM »
It's like that in most of Europe (Linky). Here, you are supposed to pay it as well, but in practice, it's volountary. While the snoops like to believe that they can do whatever they please, in reality, they can't do a bloody thing, and you are well within your rights to tell them to go to hell and sodomize themselves, and they can't do a damned thing about it. If they step inside your home without invitation, well, we still have some laws regarding home invasions, and if they don't leave by their own choice, you can make them :cool:. I usually scream at them when they knock on my door.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 04:36:09 PM »
Reminds me of this:

Yep, that's a real poster that the London Underground Transit Security put up, trying to make people feel warm and fuzzy about video surveillance.
Am I the only one who thinks those are a form of open mockery? "Haha, you were warned, and despite this, you allowed us to implement this system"
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »
ever watch supernatural? Orwell was a prophet. [tinfoil]

=D [popcorn] <--- just so no one corrects it as though i was serious that means this was a joke.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »
Yep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom  When I heard about this, I couldn't believe it. From what I understand, when everybody had tube TVs they had detector vans that would run around and see if you were using a TV and didn't have a license.  I believe that if you buy a TV in a store, they merchant is required to register the TV into a central database.  It is also why they don't have commercials on the BBC.

And a large number of folks want to turn America into exactly that.  We're significantly closer to it than most folks think.   =|
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 09:46:43 PM »
Well the .gov wants it's money and will intimidate everybody to get it, even on a mass scale.

Imagine if the tax collectors had control over your medical care.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 09:20:43 AM »
imagine? imagine what, they do. :facepalm: