Author Topic: Revolver question  (Read 7834 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Revolver question
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »
Ruger Redhawk-type revolvers with their pseudo-SAA handling and, well, SA-ness make them undesireable

I think you mean the Blackhawk. The Redhawk is DA. Top gun is a Blackhawk, bottom gun is a Redhawk. The single spring Redhawk action makes it tough to get a good trigger pull without light strikes. Mine is crisp, but kinda heavy. I'd also get a 44 if hunting is involved, preferably a S&W 29.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
You could always buy my Dan Wesson 15-V. 6in barrel atm, barrel change tool, different inserts for the front sight. Smith smoothed out the trigger, and I can honestly say the SA trigger is nicer than any 1911 I've experienced. Roughly equivalent in frame size to a L S&W I think?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »
It's not for hunting only, in fact hunting would be only a side use. The main use would be range/watermelon shooting, around-the-farm anti-critter carry, and bedside duty.

I have been going to buy my wife a handgun she can wield. It's hard. The AWB brought us slews of compact, pocket guns, and all of them recoil too much. Although the grip is small enough for her hands, she can't handle the recoil of my PF9. I want a revolver for her for simplicity reasons. She can shoot snubbies, but poorly. I have been going to buy her a .38 snubby revolver, but the recoil and muzzle blast from a snubby is intimidating, and the guns just aren't versatile at all. My reasoning was that a larger revolver in .38 would have much milder recoil, plus be more useful for shooting at medium distances.

As for a mild-recoiling snubby, a J-frame SW 640 (DAO) 637 (exposed hammer), or 638 (shrouded hammer) firing target wadcutters (148gr HBWC) or the slightly more zippy Buffalo Bore 150gr hard cast wadcutters would be the bee's knees.

These all-steel snubbies weigh in at ~25oz, which helps tame recoil.  The wadcutters are not super-fast & sexy, but cut .357" sized holes all day long and have the recoil of mouse farts (target HBWC) or cat sneezes (hard cast WC).

Next step up would be a K-frame snubby.  Even more mass and handle to hold.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »
By going with a very inexpensive .38 k-frame, you might have money left over for a pretty nice hunting revolver. 

Sounds like a good plan, but where do people shop for guns? Gunbroker? Do you go to gun stores? Gun shows?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, but where do people shop for guns? Gunbroker? Do you go to gun stores? Gun shows?

Places like http://www.jgsales.com have mass-turn-in revolvers (think: security company, LEOs, etc.).

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith-wesson/revolver/cPath/16_211_431
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
SOG has S&W model 66-5's for $399.  They are not listed online but are in their Spring dealer sale paper.  I called 'em last week to make sure they were still available because my pastor is looking for a .357  Your local gun dealer or pawn shop should be able to order it for you and get it in about a week.

I believe the 66-5 was the last model before they added the infernal lock.  Don't shoot too many full-house 125 grain jacketed bullets in it or you might crack the forcing cone.  Hot-loaded 158's are not a problem

A Ruger Security Six would be even better if you can find one.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:01:28 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 12:48:58 PM »
I'm a big fan of my n-frame S&W in  .357...  It's the old "Highway Patrolman". Accurate, very mild recoil even with high end reloads. 158 grain LSWC at the high end of the velocity range.  A LOT less recoil than my 1911
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »
J&G has a lot of police turn in stainless K frame .38's for great prices.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 01:16:30 PM »
All of these recommendations for trade-in 38s ignore the fact that Zahc mentioned deer hunting in the OP. If hunting is no longer a concern, even a minor one, then a medium framed 38 is a great idea.

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »
All of these recommendations for trade-in 38s ignore the fact that Zahc mentioned deer hunting in the OP. If hunting is no longer a concern, even a minor one, then a medium framed 38 is a great idea.

Chris

Zahc's last post indicates he's down for a cheap .38 and a separate hunting revolver.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »
I have 2 Rugers that I think have very good triggers.............but I handled a S&W the other day that was scar sweet :O

And, yes, definitely check J&G. You'll have to transfer to a FFL.

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 01:25:19 PM »
Aren't most of the J&G revolvers DAO?  (even the ones with hammer spurs)
"It's good, though..."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 01:27:52 PM »
Some are, some aren't. It's a pretty simple swap of the hammer to get from DAO to SA/DA in my understanding.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »
Zahc's last post indicates he's down for a cheap .38 and a separate hunting revolver.

Oh ok, I missed that. 

I have 2 Rugers that I think have very good triggers.............but I handled a S&W the other day that was scar sweet :O

Bob

Rugers have the potential for a very good DA trigger.  My GP100 has a better DA trigger than many S&Ws (such as my 696), but their SA triggers aren't normally as good.  I don't shoot SA so it isn't an issue for me.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 02:53:23 PM »

In that case, I would recommend a SA like the Ruger Blackhawk for the hunting gun  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 05:00:43 PM »
Energy doesn't equal momentum.  You can get higher energy figures with a 125gr bullet going warp speed, but it won't be appropriate for hunting.  I'm not saying the 158s won't work, they will, but don't get caught up in energy figures.  They don't tell the entire story.

;/  And if I had just stated "158 grain JHP" with no additional information you would have had no idea what sort of load it was. How about next time I just state: Winchester .357 Magnum case, Federal LMP primer, 11.4 grains AA No.-7, and a Hornady 158 grain JHP seated to 1.582" OAL with a medium roll crimp. That will definitely make it easier to grasp, right?  ;)

By the by, do you mean energy transfer? Last I checked, kinetic energy = inertia = momentum, but I could see where you're going if you used a longer (heavier) HP that has longer petals when expanded giving more surface area for energy transfer.

@PTK: After rechecking my loading, I realize it's actually 1150FPS / ~460 ft/lb.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »
kinetic energy = inertia = momentum

No, those are three entirely different things. They don't even have the same dimensions.

The thing that's bumming me out about the K-frame police turn-ins is they don't seem to have any decent sites. I suppose maybe there's enough meat in them to dovetail them for sites though.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 05:20:45 PM »
By the by, do you mean energy transfer? Last I checked, kinetic energy = inertia = momentum, but I could see where you're going if you used a longer (heavier) HP that has longer petals when expanded giving more surface area for energy transfer.

No, I mean momentum, the ability of the bullet to penetrate through the deer.  If kinetic energy=momentum, then 125gr personal defense loads would penetrate better than slow, but heavy big bore calibers.  Momentum is mass times velocity (not velocity squared).  The point with momentum is that bullet weight has as much or more effect as velocity.

Some good info here if you're serious about handgun hunting: http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/common_sense_handgun_hunting.htm

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 05:23:44 PM »
The thing that's bumming me out about the K-frame police turn-ins is they don't seem to have any decent sites. I suppose maybe there's enough meat in them to dovetail them for sites though.

You'd want a S&W M19, but the days of inexpensive trade-in M19s is long gone. 

If adjustable sights are critical, I would recommend a non-trade-in model with the sights you want vs butchering a fixed sight model.  A M19 won't be cheap, but they are fine guns with adjustable sights.  Going up to the L-frame is the x86 guns, then the n-frame guns of the Model 27/28.

Of course, there's always a Ruger (GP100 for example), but you're not going to get the super crisp SA trigger you desire, at least not out of the box.  Ruger SA triggers on their DA guns suck, but I personally prefer the pull of the DA trigger (nice and long with just a bit of stacking at the end).

Chris

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »

The k frames with good adjustable sights are:

.38: 15 & 67
.357: 19 & 66

J&G regularly has some. Summit gun broker in MO has good agency trade-in deals as well. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:38:19 PM by red headed stranger »
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »
Well let me throw .327 Fed mag out there. I think the only revolver doing it justice right now is Ruger's New Model Blackhawk with the 5.5" barrel and 8 rounds though.

I don't think S&W is doing much with the .327 Fed mag right now though. They have a couple 2-3" revolvers with 6 round capacities in their 632 Pro Series.

Personally, I'd like a S&W Model 60 with 5" barrel chambered for .327 Fed mag. Get 6, maybe 7 rounds and I'd be happy.

Course, .327 Fed mag hasn't quite caught on yet. Performed great on black bears and deer up here though. And if you reload you might like the ability to shoot .32 H&R mag, .32 S&W long, and .32 S&W out of it too.

Still, .357 S&W mag/.38 S&W special and .44 Rem mag/.44 S&W special are the mainstays across the country.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
Just be careful about the laws, in many places a .32 is not legally big enough for hunting.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »
Just be careful about the laws, in many places a .32 is not legally big enough for hunting.

But it's great to keep in your pocket for fun  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 07:01:46 PM »
just don't play with it. :facepalm:

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 07:09:29 PM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/michaelm/DSCN0543.jpg

one like this is what i did most of my deer hunting with   
got laughed at in wva in the mid 70's   less laughing each deer i hung up.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I