Author Topic: Revolver question  (Read 7836 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Revolver question
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »
one like this is what i did most of my deer hunting with   
got laughed at in wva in the mid 70's   less laughing each deer i hung up.

Nice piece. 

Nobody ever laughed when I took my Redhawk out, but the question was always "what are you going to do when you see a deer that's out of your range?".  My response was "the same thing I'd do if it were out of rifle range, hold the shot".

Chris

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »
I kept .38 special in my m19. Forgot how heavy this thing is. When you run out of ammo you still have a decent club.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 08:47:50 PM »
No, I mean momentum, the ability of the bullet to penetrate through the deer.  If kinetic energy=momentum, then 125gr personal defense loads would penetrate better than slow, but heavy big bore calibers.  Momentum is mass times velocity (not velocity squared).  The point with momentum is that bullet weight has as much or more effect as velocity.

Some good info here if you're serious about handgun hunting: http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/common_sense_handgun_hunting.htm

Chris

Doh, completely off-base here with those. I seem to be misremembering a lot of things lately. And inertia, of course, is the resistance of a physical object to a change in velocity. Someone pass me the alzheimers pills.  =|

On the second part, I don't handgun hunt. I was just showing one of my favored loads.