Author Topic: Camaro concept car  (Read 10321 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Camaro concept car
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 10:50:33 AM »
Mike Irwin, the people of Lafayette thank you for buying your Outback.Smiley

O.K., so much for the Chamber of Commerce stuff.  I like the concept.  I helped my buddy build a '69 Camaro in high school.  I see a bit of the '69 in this concept.  Anyone else see that?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Camaro concept car
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 11:36:50 AM »
WHOA!

Don't you be dissing the Cords!

They were GREAT American luxury cars!

If I'm not mistaken, Cord was the first manufacturer to offer retractable headlights.

Any way you cut it, THIS is a great looking car!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mfree

• friend
Camaro concept car
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 12:58:20 PM »
Mike, don't forget that they were front wheel drive as well Smiley

...has left the building.

Camaro concept car
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 01:40:18 PM »
Quote from: richyoung
Quote from: Daniel Flory
I
But it does put out 400hp which is 66hp/liter. Compare this with a Honda S2K which puts out 110hp/liter...
OK - you ASKED for it - at 237 Hp , the rice grinder is still 163 horses short of the party - and thats WITHOUT considering the fact that you have to rev the F20 up past the Chevy's red line to get any usable torque out of the thing.  

But, its a free country.  If fart cans and galvanized "wings" are your thing, and you confuse "Fast and Furious" with a documentary, go right ahead - buy a "honduh", paint it up like a package of Ramen noodles, & get after it...
Your post is a perfect example of how Americans think of performance cars - that every car should be point and shoot. Handling? Balance between front and rear? Who cares if it can break 12 seconds in the quarter right!? American racing's two biggest markets are top fuel and NASCAR. NASCAR ovals are nothing but 500 miles of constant straights because the turns are so predictable and banked. And I might drive a Honda, but at least I don't drive a crackered up Camaro to my trailer. Number 3/8/24/ad naseum on the back? Check. Muffler tips? Check. REO Speedwagon shirt? Check. Mullet? Check. 5.7-6.0 liters and it goes fast in a straight line? No ____ Sherlock. If Chevy designed hammers they'd all weigh 75 lbs and hicks would by them because they're powerful.

(For those of you that don't get it, the white racist statements were made to make a point.)

Camaro concept car
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 01:41:47 PM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
That's racist.

Chris
Hence my response; maybe Rich doesn't realize that some people are Asian...and Caucasian...I can hardly contain the awesome in my own body Wink

Camaro concept car
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 01:43:20 PM »
Quote from: brimic
I'd take a Subaru STI- I'm sold on the concept of a little less engine, a lot less weight, and a lot better handling paradigm when it comes to sports cars. Its alot easier to add more horsepower to a light car than it is to lighten up a heavy one.
Now that my friends is a driver with a mature outlook on cars. Chevy did get it right with the Z06 C6; they used ultralight materials and the results really show.

crt360

• friend
Camaro concept car
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2006, 02:23:17 PM »
I don't think it looks too bad, except for the Battlestar Galactica looking front end.  It needs a Cylon red-eye scanning back and forth behind the grill.
For entertainment purposes only.

mtnbkr

• friend
Camaro concept car
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2006, 03:17:35 PM »
That's racist.
Chris
Hence my response; maybe Rich doesn't realize that some people are Asian...and Caucasian...I can hardly contain the awesome in my own body Wink
I was joking.  Just poking fun because I knew you'd have something to say on the matter.

I can't say I understand your insistence that a dislike (ok, scorn) of "ricers" equals racism.  Around here, "ricers" come from all ethnic groups.  The only commonality is their love of used up economy cars festooned with cheap bolt on junk.

When I hear "ricer", I don't think black, brown, white, yellow, etc.  I think young (16-30) punk in a junky car.  It has mismatched colors, a coffee can exhaust tip hanging off a cheap muffler, crappy tint job, and a lowering job accomplished with cut springs.  If the car is less than 10 years old, it's a miracle.  Often, the parts weren't even designed for that car.  How about a Civic with the spoiler from an Eclipse, Type R stickers for your Hyundai, and Honda badges on the Celica.

No race involved, just mindset...

Chris

Camaro concept car
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2006, 03:28:39 PM »
That's racist.
Chris
I was joking.  Just poking fun because I knew you'd have something to say on the matter.
D'oh! Foiled again! Tongue

But seriously, if I called chromed out cars/SUVs "*let's not go there* Sleds" or "Darkie Wagons" would that be okay? I completely agree that a lot of cars are modified with bad taste. Bad taste + no cash + crappy old car = a real POS.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Camaro concept car
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2006, 03:32:14 PM »
It needs a Cylon red-eye scanning back and forth behind the grill.
Hah!  You can bet that some after market company will come up with that.

brimic

• friends
Camaro concept car
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2006, 04:53:23 PM »
It needs a Cylon red-eye scanning back and forth behind the grill.

Hah!  You can bet that some after market company will come up with that.
You mean like this: http://www.knightrideronline.com/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

crt360

• friend
Camaro concept car
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2006, 05:22:33 PM »
brimic,

I totally forgot about KITT.  Yeah, something like that.  But it would be much more impressive in the new Camaro's grill.
For entertainment purposes only.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Camaro concept car
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2006, 08:55:40 AM »
OK - you ASKED for it - at 237 Hp , the rice grinder is still 163 horses short of the party - and thats WITHOUT considering the fact that you have to rev the F20 up past the Chevy's red line to get any usable torque out of the thing.  

But, its a free country.  If fart cans and galvanized "wings" are your thing, and you confuse "Fast and Furious" with a documentary, go right ahead - buy a "honduh", paint it up like a package of Ramen noodles, & get after it...
That's racist.

Chris
Bullpuckey.  I've seen idiots of every skin color and race ruining their cars in that fashion.  Now, if you want to accuse me of prejudice against stupidity, i.e., putting big wings on the back of FRONT WHEEL DRIVE cars for more "downforce", well then, guilty as charged.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Camaro concept car
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2006, 08:58:43 AM »
I
But it does put out 400hp which is 66hp/liter. Compare this with a Honda S2K which puts out 110hp/liter...

Your post is a perfect example of how Americans think of performance cars - that every car should be point and shoot. Handling? Balance between front and rear? Who cares if it can break 12 seconds in the quarter right!? American racing's two biggest markets are top fuel and NASCAR. NASCAR ovals are nothing but 500 miles of constant straights because the turns are so predictable and banked. And I might drive a Honda, but at least I don't drive a crackered up Camaro to my trailer. Number 3/8/24/ad naseum on the back? Check. Muffler tips? Check. REO Speedwagon shirt? Check. Mullet? Check. 5.7-6.0 liters and it goes fast in a straight line? No ____ Sherlock. If Chevy designed hammers they'd all weigh 75 lbs and hicks would by them because they're powerful.

(For those of you that don't get it, the white racist statements were made to make a point.)
A pointless point.  And for the record, my '94 Formula handled and braked quite well - maybe you should read some car magazines other than the "import tuner" rags with the scantily clad young women on the cover?

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Camaro concept car
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2006, 09:04:27 AM »
That's racist.
Chris

I can't say I understand your insistence that a dislike (ok, scorn) of "ricers" equals racism.  Around here, "ricers" come from all ethnic groups.  The only commonality is their love of used up economy cars festooned with cheap bolt on junk.

When I hear "ricer", I don't think black, brown, white, yellow, etc.  I think young (16-30) punk in a junky car.  It has mismatched colors, a coffee can exhaust tip hanging off a cheap muffler, crappy tint job, and a lowering job accomplished with cut springs.  If the car is less than 10 years old, it's a miracle.  Often, the parts weren't even designed for that car.  How about a Civic with the spoiler from an Eclipse, Type R stickers for your Hyundai, and Honda badges on the Celica.

No race involved, just mindset...

Chris
...don't forget the front wheels tilting out at the bottom 15 degrees because they "...lowered it for better handling", ( hard to see how it can handle better riding on the inside edge of the tire!), a $2000 stereo in a $500 car, row of 15" woofers replacing the back seat, all the "race parts" hangin on a car with blue blow-by smoke coming out of the rod-knocking worn engine, dayglo orange seats with 5 point harness, fake NOS sticker, ero taillights, and the absolute must have - an ALARM, on a car no self-respecting auto theif would touch...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Camaro concept car
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2006, 09:22:32 AM »
Hey Tejon,

"Mike Irwin, the people of Lafayette thank you for buying your Outback"

I'd like to get ahold of the people of Lafayette responsible for putting the oil pump O ring seal in the engine. That's the biggest problem with the Outback. Mine failed 2 years ago, was fixed, and it's in the process of failing again.

I'll have it fixed again, for another $680 because the oil pump is buried under so much crap, and again file a protest with Subaru and NTSB, to no avail.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Camaro concept car
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2006, 09:25:31 AM »
Rich- I see you made absolutely no attempt to counter the fact that the Camaro is a joke. Idiots drive all kinds of cars believe it or not.

Also, what did you have to compare your '94 Formula to? Before my Civic, I owned a BMW M3. And I've driven a 996, Evo VIII, 350Z, Mercedes CLK-55 AMG, modded 240SX, C5 Corvette and on and on. I've been behind the wheel of two different Gen IV Camaros, an early 90's Z28 and an '01 SS. Neither time did I walk away even remotely impressed.

Camaro concept car
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2006, 09:41:59 AM »
Rich- I forgot to add: Yes on most FF cars the spoiler is useless. But you're showing your ignorance of racing in general if you think they're useless on on FF cars. There is actually racing in the world that uses left AND right hand turns; one being the BTCC. This series utilizes FF cars and yes they have spoilers.

Dannyboy

• friend
Camaro concept car
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »
the fact that the Camaro is a joke.
This is a fact?  How do you figure?  I must have missed the statement GM released  saying, "We were just kidding.  We're not really gonna bring the Camaro back."  Seems to me, you're just as guilty of what you're accusing Rich of (but in a reverse way).
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Camaro concept car
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2006, 01:09:06 PM »
Quote from: Daniel
Rich- I see you made absolutely no attempt to counter the fact that the Camaro is a joke.
Since the new Camero isn't a joke, I felt no need to respond to that chimera....

Idiots drive all kinds of cars believe it or not.
Yes, but nigh unto ALL ricers are idiots.  Hence the huge muffler attached to an exhaust pipe the size of a small garden hose....

Also, what did you have to compare your '94 Formula to?
Dad runs a car business in Amarillo, plus I've knocked about a few car lots in my time.  Had a 911 in Germany that left me completely underwhelmed, (I much prefered the '64 Mercedes coup...)

Before my Civic, I owned a BMW M3.
Damn - did you get wiped out in the dot.com bust?  Sorry to here it...

And I've driven a 996, Evo VIII, 350Z, Mercedes CLK-55 AMG, modded 240SX, C5 Corvette and on and on. I've been behind the wheel of two different Gen IV Camaros, an early 90's Z28 and an '01 SS. Neither time did I walk away even remotely impressed.
An off-the-lot 13 second ride that handles and brakes with world-class exotica, and your not impressed.  Perhaps you should mosey on over to the boys at Road & track and Motortrend, and explain to them the error of their ways....

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Camaro concept car
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2006, 01:13:09 PM »
Rich- I forgot to add: Yes on most FF cars the spoiler is useless. But you're showing your ignorance of racing in general if you think they're useless on on FF cars. There is actually racing in the world that uses left AND right hand turns; one being the BTCC. This series utilizes FF cars and yes they have spoilers.
You need to KNOW someone a little better before you start slinging the "ignorance" tag around.  I'm well aware that in the impoverished former parts of the Commonwealth, they race econoboxes, and think a Mini is race car.  Perhaps YOU'VE never heard of Can-AM, Trans-AM, Watkins Glenn -= chaps like Marke Donahue, etc?

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Camaro concept car
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2006, 01:18:09 PM »

But seriously, if I called chromed out cars/SUVs "*let's not go there* Sleds" or "Darkie Wagons" would that be okay?
I think "gangsta staff cars" would be perfectly acceptable.  FWIW the only, repeat ONLY "oriental reference of ANY kind in my original post was to the Ramen noodle package that the cars resemble - because they DO!  YOU were the one to read racism into it.

Camaro concept car
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2006, 01:41:41 PM »
Rich- I see you made absolutely no attempt to counter the fact that the Camaro is a joke.
Since the new Camero isn't a joke, I felt no need to respond to that chimera....

Yes, but nigh unto ALL ricers are idiots.  Hence the huge muffler attached to an exhaust pipe the size of a small garden hose....

Dad runs a car business in Amarillo, plus I've knocked about a few car lots in my time.  Had a 911 in Germany that left me completely underwhelmed, (I much prefered the '64 Mercedes coup...)

Damn - did you get wiped out in the dot.com bust?  Sorry to here it...

An off-the-lot 13 second ride that handles and brakes with world-class exotica, and your not impressed.  Perhaps you should mosey on over to the boys at Road & track and Motortrend, and explain to them the error of their ways....
1- No offense, but I started laughing when you spelled "Camaro" wrong and "Chimera" right.

2- Just because there isn't a name for this guy* I saw the other day, it doesn't mean he isn't an idiot either.
*A guy driving a late model Monte Carlo SS with NASCAR numbers on it, flat black rims, and Goodyears with the yellow lettering.

3- Sounds like you must have had a pretty good time in Germany. Was your 911 N/A or turbo? Which generation was it? The only Porsches I've driven were the Boxster S and the 996 Turbo. Did you make it to any tracks while you were there?

4- Damn, I have more cash/assets now than I ever have. I sold the M3 to get into motorcycling. The plans are to have a Civic coupe for A-B, a bike of some sort, and an S2K. I don't currently belong to SCCA or have any track experience so I'm going to use the Civic to start autox. Then after I get the MBA, I'll be moving to a bigger city and picking up the S2K.

5- Are you referring to the Camaro when you say "handles and brakes with world-class exotica"? If so, I've very, very confused. And I don't engage in magazine races since they're completely pointless.

Camaro concept car
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2006, 01:42:47 PM »

But seriously, if I called chromed out cars/SUVs "*let's not go there* Sleds" or "Darkie Wagons" would that be okay?
I think "gangsta staff cars" would be perfectly acceptable.  FWIW the only, repeat ONLY "oriental reference of ANY kind in my original post was to the Ramen noodle package that the cars resemble - because they DO!  YOU were the one to read racism into it.
I think I'll just call them "Chitlin' Getters", so we're in the same vein as "ricer".

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Camaro concept car
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2006, 12:39:55 AM »
People Puh-lease!
How the heck did this thread devolve from a simple matter of taste in cars to totally tasteless name calling and racist mud-slinging??? There are better ways to make your points than resorting to that nonsense. For goodness' sake, we just lost Mrs. King. If you don't like certain cars or what others do to them, don't buy it & don't look. This is still a somewhat free country. I passed a beat up '70s VW van with with spinner rims the other day & all it did was make me smile. Their transport, their money, they can do what they want.
Ahem.
In answer to the original question, I didn't like the Camaro concept car at first but after viewing it from different angles, it's starting to grow on me. I do miss chrome bumpers, and I do like the Challenger better. Its lines are smoother, not as sharp & boxy. I also like the idea of a Cylon-type red eye in the Camaro's grille.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).