Author Topic: Cooking/Spice staples  (Read 3922 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Cooking/Spice staples
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 03:35:39 AM »
Also, thinking about it, I need to post good explanations of all my recipes, spice mixes, and cooking tips anyway, since Nick needs them. I'll start typing everything in, and I'll have my SO help me out to make a few videos about making the mixes themselves.

PTK food channel on youtube? That just sounds awesome.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 03:50:07 AM »
You'd know, I bet you miss the hell out of randomly showing up for meals. :D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 04:03:06 AM »
Salt
Pepper
Garlc powder
Seasoning salt
Montreal steak seasoning
Montreal Chicken Seasoning
Lemon pepper
Old Bay
Frank's Hot sauce

Yup, that about covers it.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 04:08:46 AM »
Well, at least you won't need to be embalmed, that much salt in your diet. :D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 09:26:14 AM »
What, in your opinion, are spices or other cooking supplies you always try to keep on hand?

I've got a small, really eclectic collection of spices, that are completely unorganized.  It seems like I never have what I need to try a new reception.  I'm looking to fill it out and accumulate the more common ones I don't presently have.  What would you say is a good list of basic spices?  Are assortments in a prepackaged spice rack a good idea?

I also like to keep flour, sugar, butter, eggs, milk, assorted pasta, rice, and frozen ground beef and chicken breast.

What all do you always try to have in stock?

Garlic.  Lots and LOTS of garlic.  I have both powdered and minced (which is kept in the fridge).

Salt.  We actually use both iodized and sea salt, but I'm not married to using sea salt.  We don't use a ton of either, though.

Pepper.  I like both black and white, and have a grinder with multicolored peppercorns as well.  If you like spicy stuff, get chili and/or cayenne (we have both).

Onion, both dried-&-minced and powder.

Like Asian cooking?  Get plenty of ginger.  Chinese 5-spice is handy, too (which has ginger in it).  Sesame seed can be good, but I use sesame oil more for cooking and seeds for garnish, if at all.  Oh, seasoned wok oil (has garlic, onion, sesame, and one or two other seasonings good for Asian cooking) is good, too.  Cinnamon, as well, come to think of it.

Italian - you want thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano.  I use all of these except thyme, which my wife is allergic to (but you can season acceptably well by substituting rosemary, actually).  Bay leaves.

Mexican food - you'll need cilantro.  I use premixed taco seasoning.

For general poultry duty, I use savory, sage, and marjoram a lot (plus rosemary and onion, and sometimes tarragon).

Dill can be handy, though I don't use it nearly as much as I used to (my wife doesn't care for it).

Montreal Steak Seasoning is good for burgers or steaks.

Cooking wines are nice to change flavors for often-used staples. 

Lemon pepper is good for poultry too, now that I think about it.

Olive oil is good for lots of stuff.  It's got a lower temperature limit than some other oils, though (produces smoke quicker), so you'll also want canola oil for frying.

Lemon and lime juice.

A few different kinds of vinegar - we have white, rice, red-wine, and cider in our pantry.

Soy sauce.  Maybe fish sauce, if you like Thai (I do, but we don't use it fast enough) - and peanuts for topping whatever Thai you make.

A lot of our spices are really older than they ought to be, probably - hadn't heard about the whole-spices keeping better than ground, but I already don't have enough time as it is, I don't know if I could realistically spend time grinding spices to cook with on a regular basis.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 09:54:10 AM »
My personal list of kitchen stock:

Herbs/etc:
- Salt (usually iodized)
- Oregano
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Old Bay
- White pepper

Oils/sauces:
- Balsamic vinegar
- A quality teryaki
- Peanut oil
- Olive oil
- Ranch dressing
- Mustard (preferably spicy brown or dijon)
- Green Tobasco

Canned ingredients:
- Black beans
- Corn
- Pineapple chunks
- Spaghetti sauce (jar)
- Peanut butter, chunky
- Jelly/jam/preserves

Dry:
- Pasta of any shape, prefer shells
- Red kidney beans
- Brown rice
- Ramen (for times of laziness)
- Whole wheat bread
- Cereal

Other:
- Brown sugar
- Coffee
- Milk (whole)
- Multivitamins

Meat, vegetables, cheese, and fruit as available--if it's on sale, then it has a better chance of being purchased
- Frozen chicken
- Ground sirloin burger
- Tilapia
- Ham
- Carrots
- Broccoli
- Onions
- Roma tomatoes
- Frozen peas
- Frozen green beans
- Swiss cheese
- Sharp cheddar
- Cottage cheese
- Golden Delicious or Gala apples
- Bananas
- Frozen grape juice
- Frozen orange juice
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »
i forgot the salt, i like the normal grey and the Portuguese i use the first for strong/spicy stuff, and the second for the lighter stuff. bust the Portuguese up fine and it's great on eggs. :O yeah it's kind of high, but you don't really use much. i also keep fine seasalt, pickling salt, and koshering salt. oh and i've been wanting some smoked seasalt, and some black Hawaiian seasalt. remember, salt is forever.(or until you eat it all, unless you like to encase food in a salt tomb to roast it.)

and no, i don't buy salt often. :angel:

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
Tabasco
Black pepper
Salt
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Italian seasoning
Old Bay
Chile powder
Cumin

I have a bunch of other spices I use less frequently though. With the above, I can whip up most of the stuff I like without too much trouble.

On the subject of ginger - I always have a couple hunks of fresh ginger around. Peel it, grate it, boil it, strain it, then serve the resulting "tea" sweetened with honey. Good stuff.

I have the usual variety of sauces and condiments. Mustards, mayonnaise, ketchup, Sriracha. I make my own vinaigrette dressing.

Meat - Salmon, shrimp, pork, chicken, ground beef, eggs, bacon, sausage. Steaks and whole turkeys, occasionally.

Vegetables - carrots, celery, onions, cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, potatoes, spinach, broccoli, corn.

Fruit - not a big fruit fan. Bananas, plums, melon.

Other - Beans, rice, flour, canola oil, vinegar, powdered milk, pasta, tomato sauce, cheese, coffee, sugar, Triscuits  =D

Not real big on candy, sweets, or chip-type stuff so I don't keep that around. Occasionally I'll get tortilla chips and a jar of salsa but that's pretty rare.

We always have ice cream but it's mainly for kiddo. I'll eat a bowl of it now and then if it's not something nasty kiddo has chosen... gimme Rocky Road and I'm happy. Cookie Dough or whatever...blech.

No soda pop, Koolaid, Gatorade, or any of that. We usually just drink ice-cold filtered water or iced tea.

I just really don't like sweet stuff. Gimme savory any day.

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 05:59:18 PM »
Well, at least you won't need to be embalmed, that much salt in your diet. :D

It's not like I use all the salt products at the same time. I actually try to limit added salt.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »
just think, mix them all together, and rule the world. well maybe not.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 07:04:20 PM »
After you are out buying those spices and staples you can come home and see how to store it and how long it will last here:

http://www.stilltasty.com/

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »
First tier:
Whole black pepper and a grinder (You can get by pretty well with just this and no others, it's that important)

Second tier:
Cayenne pepper
Whole New Mexico chile peppers, dried (can substitute guajillo)
Whole ancho peppers, dried
Garlic (granulated or fresh)
Oregano
Thyme
Allspice
Bay leaves
Cumin (if you like cumin)
Cinnamon

Third:
dry mustard
celery seeds
dried basil
dried mint
dill
cloves
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:52:13 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

P5 Guy

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2010, 10:42:11 PM »
What regional style do you like to cook the most?
For most of the types/styles of cuisines garlic, fresh and whole cloves, salt, Kosher and pepper, grind as needed.
Personally, I do food in Mexican, French, Italian and Greek styles. Bay leaves, Basil, Pepper Flakes, Oregano, Thyme, Marjoram, Cumin, Cloves, Ancho and Chipolte chile powders, and Paprika both hot and sweet for East European . I make my own blend of Curry Powder and Five Spice for the Asian styles of cooking. Garlic is pretty universal, salt and pepper too.   
Do not use anything like Garlic/Onion salt, Old Bay etc, way too salty. Some rubs can be fun but only for broiled or grilled meats.