Author Topic: Anybody else like Zooey Deschanel's vocals?  (Read 11583 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Anybody else like Zooey Deschanel's vocals?
« on: May 08, 2010, 01:00:56 AM »
I first noticed in the film Yes Man, then found out she had recorded some albums with a guitar player named M. Ward.  She & Him Volume One was not entirely to my liking, but I liked Volume Two better.  Really, though, I prefer her work in Munchhausen by Proxy.   =)

Yes, I have a pre-occupation with chick vocals like Cat Power, Innocence Mission, The Finches, Mazzy Star, Bic Runga, Novel Vague, etc.  I guess I have to turn in my man card.  Again.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:17:23 AM by mtnbkr »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Anybody else like Zooey Deschanel's vocals?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:28:30 AM »
Meaghan Smith
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 05:11:41 AM »
Zooey Deschanel Sings in Elf

I think she's very very cute.  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

BMacklem

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »
I think her sister Emily is far more attractive.
But that's not to say Zoey is anything to sneeze at.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »
I like her visuals  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 10:43:58 AM »
Never heard her sing until Cromlech's link.  Good voice.  And pretty, too.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 11:28:49 AM »
Too bad she can't act...
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
I first saw her in "Tin Man", and her speaking voice got my notice.  Has a bit of a Judy Garland flavor to it

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 10:23:38 PM »
I really try to see things from her Point Of View ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 02:54:01 AM »
I first saw her in "Tin Man", and her speaking voice got my notice.  Has a bit of a Judy Garland flavor to it

DD

Agreed. That's where I first saw her, too. Not the best of the best in terms of acting, but... ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
She was also in Failure to Launch and did a great job.  I think she's actually prettier than her sister, but the Bones character is a more attractive one than Zooey has ever been cast for.  She also had a role in Bridge to Terabithia, and strummed a guitar and sang a bit.

She needs a role as a slinky lounge singer in a film-noir redux.  She'd be dead-nutz perfect.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »
1.  She's hotter than sis, who looks slightly extra-terrestrial.

2.  What the smurf is wrong with her acting?  She is known for a dead-pan style of comedic acting, which may be confusing some o' y'all.  You're definitely confusing me.

BMacklem

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 10:26:09 AM »
Zoey has the "girl next door" look about her, while Emily has a more exotic look (also I can't get over how gorgeous her eyes are).

I think they're both quite beautiful, but I prefer Emily myself, possibly because I can associate her Bones character as being far more intelligent than any of Zoeys, which is far for enticing to me.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
I dunno. Emily's head looks like a cube to me...  :P  I think Zooey is prettier.

"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 01:12:23 PM »
1.  She's hotter than sis, who looks slightly extra-terrestrial.

2.  What the smurf is wrong with her acting?  She is known for a dead-pan style of comedic acting, which may be confusing some o' y'all.  You're definitely confusing me.

From what I've seen of Zooey, that "deadpan" style is not a style at all, but her normal state of being (as an actress). Admittedly, most of my exposure to her is from "Tin Man", where she was the weakest of all the players. Her acting was flat, almost totally devoid of emotion and had me almost wishing her wicked sister would have her minions remove the other half (oops, wrong character) of her brain.

She is definitely better looking than sis though. From that picture, she (Emily) looks like one of those stars whose mugshots look like they were rode hard and put up wet.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:16:31 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »
Her acting was flat, almost totally devoid of emotion and had me almost wishing her wicked sister would have her minions remove the other half (oops, wrong character) of her brain.

I haven't seen Tin Man, but that sounds like the kind of acting she's hired for.  The character that's bored by all the idiots around her. 

[Waits]  [popcorn]

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »
To bring the class...

Zooey's been naked on film, Emily hasn't.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
She ain't got "pop". She's ok but out of 100 pro singers maybe 3-5 have "pop", she's not one of them. Norah Jones, Norah Jones gots pop.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 12:26:59 AM »
She does have a good singing voice, but then, so do I. :P (I
'm just kinda lacking in the looks dept.) There are millions of people with good voices, only a few have what it takes to be stars.

She ain't got "pop". She's ok but out of 100 pro singers maybe 3-5 have "pop", she's not one of them. Norah Jones, Norah Jones gots pop.  =D

Like he said. ^^^

She and Keannu Reaves should team up. They could try to out bore each other! :P

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 01:11:35 AM »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 01:13:18 AM »
She does have a good singing voice, but then, so do I. :P (I
'm just kinda lacking in the looks dept.) There are millions of people with good voices, only a few have what it takes to be stars.

Like he said. ^^^

She and Keannu Reaves should team up. They could try to out bore each other! :P

With Kevin Costner and Melanie Griffith...  =)
I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 06:58:32 AM »
There are millions of people with good voices, only a few have what it takes to be stars.
The trick is in identifying them. I'm just becoming aware of 'pop". From what I understand most voices do not naturally "get up all in your face" when listened to through a speaker. 3-5% do, the rest need to be doctored up to get the same effect. From my limited experience I'd venture the only one that MIGHT pop on sanglant's list would be fine frenzy but that sight locked me all up so now I' mad at her.  :laugh:

And having "pop" is just one aspect of the whole "be a star" thing. It takes a lot more than just that. The more driven you are, the better your chances, let's put it that way.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 07:23:54 AM »
Here, have some "pop" cause THIS girl's got it.  =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCG3kJtQBKo

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 02:57:16 PM »
Lisa Hannagian seems to fade in and out. i like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WwaPv1rZiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyXmp-FiPJo

Vanessa Carlton really depends on the song, her range is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjNBJq9TD7Q

Mary Lou Lord started as a street musician, her music is really an acquired taste
http://popup.lala.com/popup/504684642067490782 the vid of this one sounds really bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCg-CsSJNkk not work safe. and the mic is catching her breathing.
i wish i could get my hands on the loser that started the eat your mic bull. >:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfceKEJSInE same song with a wind screen on her mic. =D

pop, maybe not. but with a good stereo system i'm happy.